Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Should I keep hanging on to Campagnolo 10 Speed?

New bike time and the end of year deals on Ultegra bikes are really good, I’ve benn hoarding Campagnolo 10 for years and can’t decide whether to sell it all to get a better bike with Shimano. I’m looking at a Cannondale Super Six which frame only is the Hi Mod is out of my price range. Or I could buy it and sell the shimano stuff. I’m feeling like it’s time to let go...
Any advice or thoughts
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2018, 04:02 PM

I almost never ride my Campagnolo 10-speed bikes anymore after getting Shimano 11-speed in both Dura Ace and 105 versions.

I hate to say it, but it’s more fun for me. The shifting is precise and super reliable and I just like the ergonomics of the Shimano levers more than I like the Campagnolo levers. The old shape is gone for the most part (I did like those) and the rear shifting seems primitive to me after getting used to Shimano.

I am largely agnostic on this but anecdotally I just don’t ride the Campagnolo-equipped bikes very often. They’re not the ones I reach for.

Might be time to move on.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM

That Ultegra will put you in a whole 'nother league. I would dump the Campy stuff.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Kind of OK

Indeed, sell all yer Campy. Get rid of it now.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 PM

It’s about the ride, not about the brand or image.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It’s about the ride, not about the brand or image.
It is.. but it´s also about so many things. Tradition, looks, passion etcetera. If we are going to rationalize, we need only one bike and even tiagra is working very well these days.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
If we are going to rationalize, we need only one bike and even tiagra is working very well these days.

That's crazy talk.

Careful, you're going to get moderated.

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 PM

I switched all of my bikes to campy 11 speed in 2009. No regrets, it works well and I just built a new bike with 2018 chorus.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I switched all of my bikes to campy 11 speed in 2009. No regrets, it works well and I just built a new bike with 2018 chorus.
I think the new chorus is some of the best stuff campy has ever done
Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Administrator

11-speed has the HUGE advantage of being corss compatible between sram/campy/shimano when it comes to cassette usage, so you can run shimano wheels on campy drivetrains.

the other huge advantage of 11 is the availability of cassette ranges. 9-sp shimano was similar, but 10-sp campy is totally lacking if you want low gearing in the cassette territory.

campy 10 stuff peaked, for sure, and it commanded a huge premium on the used and NOS market, but that is falling off these days because folks have realized that 11 speed is SO good, for all three major brands.

i've got a bike or two left with campy-10 on it, and like them because they do work very well, but nostalgia aside, 11 speed is better in almost every way.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM

I enjoyed every second out of riding 11 speed Shimano and SRAM greater than 10 speed Campy. No harm in trying something different!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I enjoyed every second out of riding 11 speed Shimano and SRAM greater than 10 speed Campy. No harm in trying something different!
Quite the opposite for me...I have a Cannondale CAAD3 w/Campy 10 speed record that I have been enjoying more than my NeilPryde Bura SL w/Dura Ace 9000 11 speed. I can slam the right thumb and dump gears easily. The up shifts are positive and crisp and I like the hoods better in my hands. The truth be told, I hadn't really gotten used to the "lighter" touch of the Dura Ace. In fact, when it is really cold out, my Dura Ace rear shifter balks a bit with the lever swinging but not catching. I've never missed a shift with Campy. Oh, that creamy glow of silver too! OK, the levers are carbon but I'll still take them.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
11-speed has the HUGE advantage of being corss compatible between sram/campy/shimano when it comes to cassette usage, so you can run shimano wheels on campy drivetrains.

the other huge advantage of 11 is the availability of cassette ranges. 9-sp shimano was similar, but 10-sp campy is totally lacking if you want low gearing in the cassette territory.

campy 10 stuff peaked, for sure, and it commanded a huge premium on the used and NOS market, but that is falling off these days because folks have realized that 11 speed is SO good, for all three major brands.

i've got a bike or two left with campy-10 on it, and like them because they do work very well, but nostalgia aside, 11 speed is better in almost every way.
Campagnolo 13-29 is plenty of low gearing and i ride some very steep stuff but that´s my experience.
The cross compatible thing sure is nice because shimano has a much better distribution worldwide and it´s sure easier to find their cassettes.
I prefer the campagnolo feel and i don´t think there is anything superior to campy 10. Actually i prefer the sq taper crankset: less trouble.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:05 PM

I kept 10sp record on my road logic, because part of me still likes the ultrashift, but it defnitely feels old compared to the new stuff. I don't really think it's worth hoarding. Heck, I'd probably sell mine if there was any value left in it (maybe I'll wait until 1x15 becomes the in-vogue and I can get top dollar from someone wanting retro gear for top dollar)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 PM

10 speed

Just changed my 10sp cables on my Spectrum and feels like a new bike! If you are selling any 10sp gear dibs, I have a Merckx 753 and Colnago Tecnos in need, thanks keep me in mind!