Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
CA a third world power grid. Who knew?
Or maybe "USA a litigious society. We all knew"

The price of putting distribution lines underground is astronomical and they have a huge territory served, they're already on the hook for what? $30B or something? Overhead distribution, wind, tree limbs falling, etc can all lead to an outage and a potential arc which in an area that doesn't get rain from St Patrick's day to Thanksgiving is a tinderbox. I lived and worked in NorCal in the electrical industry during the 90s.

I don't see another choice for them. I'm amazed the Enron stuff didn't sink them (electricity wholesale price +800% or so IIRC and spot buys way above that)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM

California is hardly going to conclude it was at fault for not setting rates high enough to fund adequate maintenance.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
California is hardly going to conclude it was at fault for not setting rates high enough to fund adequate maintenance.
PG&E is / was / probably will be a poorly run company. During their last bankruptcy the CFO after spending an hour ordering lunch for the bankers told them “I didn’t sign up for this” . One bankers replied, “for $600K per year, the sure the F&$% you did.”

In Grad School the overarching environmental policy be pushed was “let things be” . It was good for the environmental groups and companies like PGE since it
meant they had to do / spend nothing to protect natural and Human Resources . This policy philosophy has failed.