Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Vendors

Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Vendor

Zanconato 20th Anniversary Max Framesets

Hi folks,
There have been a few posts in the General Discussion section about the 5 Max frames I'll be doing later this year. I figured I'd share more about them here. 2018 marks 20 years since I built my first frame and 10 years since I built the first Max Project bike for Stephen pictured below. Building that bike took me back to the early 90s and pouring over pictures from the Classics. Nostalgia in overdrive. Now that I've got 10 more years of metal work under me and a few new tricks up my sleeve, I'm anxious to celebrate 20 years of bike making and turn my remaining stash of Max lugs into five special bikes. I have a vision and am ready to pour my heart and soul into these bikes. If you are interested in claiming one of the remaining spots, please get in touch. The cost for frame and fork will be $4200. Thank you for considering going on this journey with me!

Stephen S by Mike Zanconato, on Flickr

Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Hells Bells make mine orange. Fix a pair of Nemesis tubs with Vlaanderens onto those dropouts, and I will never come home.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM
commuter racer

Maxtastic!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Administrator

these are really quite stunning. very impressive work here.

this may be a dumb question - but what's the back story with the stash of lugs? i see they have the zank "Z" cut into them, were these produced just for you Mike, or are they lugs which you manipulated? curious cats want to know.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Vendor

Good question, Nick. Back when I did Stephen's bike, these lugs and BBs were available as a kit from a supplier in England (Ceeway). Last time I checked they were all gone, but I don't know if they uncovered any more. The last time they were cast was in the 90s. I had the ones I purchased engraved by the guy who was engraving my other lugs at the time. He retired 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't found anybody in the area who would do the same service. Still on the hunt.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Congrats on 20 years Mike
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Vendor

Thank you, Lionel!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Hells Bells make mine orange. Fix a pair of Nemesis tubs with Vlaanderens onto those dropouts, and I will never come home.
You know I'd love that, Bill!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Administrator

thanks for that explanation mike. it's interesting that you framebuilders sometimes need to scour the obscure corners of the world to get some of the bits necessary to put one of these beauties together.

i'm a total sucker for panel paint schemes too.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM
needs adult supervision

Wow. A mid-90's MXL was one of my all-time favorite bikes, maybe top one or two. This is tempting. And the pictured paint is a great balance of classic and modern. Damn, I was pretty set on wanting one your alu frames as my next ride when funds allowed. Now this. Oh, the paradox of choice.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Feel like I need to chime in...

I feel a little compelled to chime in...

Richard Sachs first introduced me to Mike...we hit it off at once...

I sent him an old issue of Winning Magazine that featured Phil Anderson's all MAX tubing Motorola Merckx and asked him to cut as much weight away from the lugset as possible...

The rest is history so they say....

Best riding bike I own, I take it on pretty much all my century's and gran fondo's...it's even seen a licensed road race or three....

It was also the start of the Zanconato Road Racing team, which so many of you have supported wonderfully over the last 6 seasons...

We have ammassed over 20 wins and over 40 podiums, including 2 national champions since starting the team...and have a very competitive cat 1-2 group...you ought to see the look on folks face when you win a Cat 2 road race on a steel or Alu frame these days...its priceless!

The 5 frameset purchasers will also recieve one of the 2018 Zanconato Racing kits (sorry Mike, just cant keep a secret very long)...

These should be out for order in the next 10-15 days...

Thanks Mike for making this all come true!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Great story, Stephen. Nice of you to bring some kit into the equation. I've been on a Zank since 2007, maybe 2006?. They are always purposeful and aesthetically balanced machines. I have never been happier when moving forward on a Zank. I just let one go because I recently received a new one. It was orange and perfect. My wife made me do it, but the god's honest truth is that a piece of me left too. I'm going to give my new one a thorough flogging as soon as my skis idle.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

In the que.....

I spoke with Mike last week about getting one of these framesets. Wasn't a difficult decision to send in a deposit. What I find interesting is frame has me feeling just as jazzed as when I ordered my first Sachs. The only part missing is my dear friend Pete (Serotta Pete) isn't with me for this adventure but I know he would approve🍷🍷😉
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
I spoke with Mike last week about getting one of these framesets. Wasn't a difficult decision to send in a deposit. What I find interesting is frame has me feeling just as jazzed as when I ordered my first Sachs. The only part missing is my dear friend Pete (Serotta Pete) isn't with me for this adventure but I know he would approve🍷🍷😉
i agree Spoke, and good move!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Congrats on 20 years behind the torch, Mike. This might be the coolest anniversary frameset ever. Tempting.

#Z20