Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-25-2019, 11:31 AM
GOTHBROOKS's Avatar
GOTHBROOKS GOTHBROOKS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 582
how many mieles were actually made in canada though? i had one i was almost certain came from overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-25-2019, 01:38 PM
hoefercycles's Avatar
hoefercycles hoefercycles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
This is obviously questionable but might it be possible that he used old excess stock of Miele fork crowns? Looks like Miele went bankrupt in the 90s so Bilenky may have bought the supply.
Fwiw:
I have a couple of these crowns I picked up on eBay a while back as part of a large 'assorted tubes/lugs/bits' package, so this is a real possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM
joosttx's Avatar
joosttx joosttx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Larkspur, Ca
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefercycles View Post
Fwiw:
I have a couple of these crowns I picked up on eBay a while back as part of a large 'assorted tubes/lugs/bits' package, so this is a real possibility.
The simple fact was he quoted me a stainless steel fork (see invoice). Regardless of the crown it was not stainless steel. Bondo’ing is shady. Would you pay more for a Miele bondo fork? Also, I asked for a 1 1/8 diameter head tube. Bilenky calls me up at the very end after paint etc, etc, and said he goofed and made a fork with a 1 inch. So we agreed to put a CK devolution headset on it. This is just the fork. I could go on with the more than year delay, ghosting, and then constantly asking for more money. Or the components that were dated and looked used when I paid for new ones..... Super shady.

With all that it is a good bike and rode very well.
__________________
***IG: mttamgrams***
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Dekonick's Avatar
Dekonick Dekonick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Howierd County, Maryland
Posts: 6,234
I am sorry you had this experience with him. He painted panels and polished decals on my Ti DKS after Bedford modified it for me. It came out looking great.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM
hoefercycles's Avatar
hoefercycles hoefercycles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The simple fact was he quoted me a stainless steel fork (see invoice). Regardless of the crown it was not stainless steel. Bondo’ing is shady. Would you pay more for a Miele bondo fork? Also, I asked for a 1 1/8 diameter head tube. Bilenky calls me up at the very end after paint etc, etc, and said he goofed and made a fork with a 1 inch. So we agreed to put a CK devolution headset on it. This is just the fork. I could go on with the more than year delay, ghosting, and then constantly asking for more money. Or the components that were dated and looked used when I paid for new ones..... Super shady.

With all that it is a good bike and rode very well.
Not trying to say you weren't swindled at all. The whole thing is super unfortunate and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm all about transparency with my clients (there's enough marketing and hype already in the cycling world); when/if I ever use those crowns, the customer will know what they are and have the option of leaving the logo or having it filled (most likely with silver).

I put my name on my frames (as I assume most do) because at the end of the day, it's me who has to stand behind what gets delivered and I'd never risk tarnishing that name over something like this. Even if it was an honest mistake, as soon as I'd realized the mistake, I'd have stopped what I was doing and made it right.

Again, my sympathies go out to you for the experience you've had. I'm glad it rides well; I'm sorry it's not what you paid for.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-06-2019, 10:41 PM
joosttx's Avatar
joosttx joosttx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Larkspur, Ca
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefercycles View Post
Not trying to say you weren't swindled at all. The whole thing is super unfortunate and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm all about transparency with my clients (there's enough marketing and hype already in the cycling world); when/if I ever use those crowns, the customer will know what they are and have the option of leaving the logo or having it filled (most likely with silver).

I put my name on my frames (as I assume most do) because at the end of the day, it's me who has to stand behind what gets delivered and I'd never risk tarnishing that name over something like this. Even if it was an honest mistake, as soon as I'd realized the mistake, I'd have stopped what I was doing and made it right.

Again, my sympathies go out to you for the experience you've had. I'm glad it rides well; I'm sorry it's not what you paid for.
That is why I think it is so selfish for a builder to something like this. Because it gives all builders a bad name. After this experience, I held off ordering another custom bike from an individual builder. I did order an MTB from 44 and I have to say the process and product were excellent.
__________________
***IG: mttamgrams***
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.