Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 10-25-2019, 11:31 AM

how many mieles were actually made in canada though? i had one i was almost certain came from overseas.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
This is obviously questionable but might it be possible that he used old excess stock of Miele fork crowns? Looks like Miele went bankrupt in the 90s so Bilenky may have bought the supply.
Fwiw:
I have a couple of these crowns I picked up on eBay a while back as part of a large 'assorted tubes/lugs/bits' package, so this is a real possibility.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefercycles View Post
Fwiw:
I have a couple of these crowns I picked up on eBay a while back as part of a large 'assorted tubes/lugs/bits' package, so this is a real possibility.
The simple fact was he quoted me a stainless steel fork (see invoice). Regardless of the crown it was not stainless steel. Bondo’ing is shady. Would you pay more for a Miele bondo fork? Also, I asked for a 1 1/8 diameter head tube. Bilenky calls me up at the very end after paint etc, etc, and said he goofed and made a fork with a 1 inch. So we agreed to put a CK devolution headset on it. This is just the fork. I could go on with the more than year delay, ghosting, and then constantly asking for more money. Or the components that were dated and looked used when I paid for new ones..... Super shady.

With all that it is a good bike and rode very well.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 PM

I am sorry you had this experience with him. He painted panels and polished decals on my Ti DKS after Bedford modified it for me. It came out looking great.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The simple fact was he quoted me a stainless steel fork (see invoice). Regardless of the crown it was not stainless steel. Bondo’ing is shady. Would you pay more for a Miele bondo fork? Also, I asked for a 1 1/8 diameter head tube. Bilenky calls me up at the very end after paint etc, etc, and said he goofed and made a fork with a 1 inch. So we agreed to put a CK devolution headset on it. This is just the fork. I could go on with the more than year delay, ghosting, and then constantly asking for more money. Or the components that were dated and looked used when I paid for new ones..... Super shady.

With all that it is a good bike and rode very well.
Not trying to say you weren't swindled at all. The whole thing is super unfortunate and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm all about transparency with my clients (there's enough marketing and hype already in the cycling world); when/if I ever use those crowns, the customer will know what they are and have the option of leaving the logo or having it filled (most likely with silver).

I put my name on my frames (as I assume most do) because at the end of the day, it's me who has to stand behind what gets delivered and I'd never risk tarnishing that name over something like this. Even if it was an honest mistake, as soon as I'd realized the mistake, I'd have stopped what I was doing and made it right.

Again, my sympathies go out to you for the experience you've had. I'm glad it rides well; I'm sorry it's not what you paid for.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefercycles View Post
Not trying to say you weren't swindled at all. The whole thing is super unfortunate and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm all about transparency with my clients (there's enough marketing and hype already in the cycling world); when/if I ever use those crowns, the customer will know what they are and have the option of leaving the logo or having it filled (most likely with silver).

I put my name on my frames (as I assume most do) because at the end of the day, it's me who has to stand behind what gets delivered and I'd never risk tarnishing that name over something like this. Even if it was an honest mistake, as soon as I'd realized the mistake, I'd have stopped what I was doing and made it right.

Again, my sympathies go out to you for the experience you've had. I'm glad it rides well; I'm sorry it's not what you paid for.
That is why I think it is so selfish for a builder to something like this. Because it gives all builders a bad name. After this experience, I held off ordering another custom bike from an individual builder. I did order an MTB from 44 and I have to say the process and product were excellent.