Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 06:19 PM

WTB Horizons.... squeaking???

Have some 650b 47 horizons still fairly new, a few hundred miles/roughly 3 months of use. When they get wet, which is often, they sound like a bird chirping as they spin. Or maybe more like the funny little squeaky sounds squirrels make. And as long as the tires stay wet the noise does not stop. They've been like this since the moment they were installed and many troubleshooting possibilities have been ruled out. I'm going to swap front and rear to see if that does something but not too optimistic.

Have not experienced this with other tires to the point where the noise is ALWAYS there when the tires are wet. Maybe this is common with these (I've not heard of it)? I've been waiting it out as they've been getting ridden more and more but beginning to think it's something that has more to do with the rubber compound and not the possibility that they need to wear down more. Very strange, and annoying.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemikesteve View Post
Have some 650b 47 horizons still fairly new, a few hundred miles/roughly 3 months of use. When they get wet, which is often, they sound like a bird chirping as they spin. Or maybe more like the funny little squeaky sounds squirrels make. And as long as the tires stay wet the noise does not stop. They've been like this since the moment they were installed and many troubleshooting possibilities have been ruled out. I'm going to swap front and rear to see if that does something but not too optimistic.

Have not experienced this with other tires to the point where the noise is ALWAYS there when the tires are wet. Maybe this is common with these (I've not heard of it)? I've been waiting it out as they've been getting ridden more and more but beginning to think it's something that has more to do with the rubber compound and not the possibility that they need to wear down more. Very strange, and annoying.
I'd say contact the manufacturer/distributor but you would probably get the, 'glee, we have never 'heard' of this'..or some sort of verbal 1000 yard stare.

I'm 'guessing' that the tread isn't completely straight and it 'squirms' when wet, making noise.

I had a tubular that made noise all the time too..turns out some busted threads in the casing. BUT..either return/warranty or live with it and replace with something less 'noisy'.