Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I think they are still useful in heavy (city) traffic. For instance, if you need to make a left turn, you don't have to continuously look over your shoulder waiting for a gap in traffic. You can wait until the Varia shows a gap, and then look over your shoulder once to confirm.
I agree. Yesterday I had to cross four lanes of traffic to turn left. The device makes it much easier to do.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
When I lived in Florida the Varia was just annoying. Way too many cars.

Now that I'm living in South Carolina the backroads have very little traffic. I tend to ride further in the lane, some of the roads are not in the best of shape. With the Varia it gives me a heads up and I can then move over and place myself in the lane or hold the lane until its safe for the car to pass. It alerts me even before I can hear them most of the time. I use the smaller Varia 315 mounted on the saddle rails with a mount from amazon and a Bontrager Flare RT rear light (90 lumens) lower on the seatpost.Way brighter than the puny light on the RLT510 (65 lumins).
Using this same combination in reverse - BT RT Flare high (saddle rail mount) and V315 low on post for less obstructed view below bodies in pace line. First use in Oct 2021. No 100+ mile rides with 315 yet, so don't have a good sense for battery life. No issues with 60 miles or less (3-ish hours). Also have Varia 800 front light for solid beam use - but mostly use a BT RT Ion front for day/dusk blink. Like the ease of front/rear blinky lights turning on and off with starting/pausing/stopping ride track on computer.

Number of "off-speed" approaching objects (not necessarily vehicles) is the primary radar benefit for me - especially when working with paceline rides. Nice to have "extra eyes" for getting group positioned for left turns with less disruption of pace line and traffic. Also helps to keep group tight if multiple overtaking vehicles are expected and not a surprise. Radar is a little annoying on busy roadways until it becomes second nature. Makes it easier to watch wheels in front and traffic behind at the same time, which makes group rides a little less stressful and even more enjoyable.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I have never had mine go off with another cyclist. ???
It will go off if a cyclist closes from behind at a relatively high rate of speed. If you are traveling at approximately the same speed, it won’t alert.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:17 PM

Anyone have thoughts on the new Synapse with the Varia integrated?
Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I've always wondered about the Varia. I thought at least maybe I'd buy one for my wife.

- the syncing to many computers works with other brands of computer?
- do people find it confusing with other cyclists vs cars? I heard it doesn't distinguish???
My wife has the first generation Varia - it is rarely set off by other cyclists. I have the second generation, and it is set off by other cyclists a few times every ride.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_m View Post
Not that anyone has it since it literally just launched, but probably the same thing in a different package, no?

Even the RTL510 and RTL515 are nearly indistinguishable, it is a mature product at this point.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
You can change the flash mode for extended battery life.
Correct, but unfortunately my real world experience has been much less than their advertised durations of: "6 hours solid, 8 hours peloton, 6 hours night flash, 16 hours day flash"
And just as a side not, it's worth mentioning that it will drain your Garmin battery a tad bit faster, but that is somewhat to be expected as you're adding another element of communication between devices, as well as a visual and auditory element.

Quote:
They were so well intentioned, and after seeing the first articles regarding it today, I clicked the link hoping that maybe there was a step forward with the Varia that could be adapted to other bikes... But from whats out there on the bike, the battery life still looks pretty meager and the "integration" is pathetic. The downtube of the bike is rather large, as is standard on modern carbon bikes, yet rather than building an internal(see Specialized Swat/stash compartments) battery, they bolted a pretty large, and astoundingly low capacity battery where your water bottle should go(I know that it still fits two bottles, I'm being rather sarcastic here)... And finally, they didn't bother to allow that same oversized battery to be capable of powering your electronic drivetrain.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
They were so well intentioned, and after seeing the first articles regarding it today, I clicked the link hoping that maybe there was a step forward with the Varia that could be adapted to other bikes... But from whats out there on the bike, the battery life still looks pretty meager and the "integration" is pathetic. The downtube of the bike is rather large, as is standard on modern carbon bikes, yet rather than building an internal(see Specialized Swat/stash compartments) battery, they bolted a pretty large, and astoundingly low capacity battery where your water bottle should go(I know that it still fits two bottles, I'm being rather sarcastic here)... And finally, they didn't bother to allow that same oversized battery to be capable of powering your electronic drivetrain.
It's a bummer. It's a nice idea but not worth it at all for a 350 lumen light with a sub 3 hour run time and a fancy radar.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Using this same combination in reverse - BT RT Flare high (saddle rail mount) and V315 low on post for less obstructed view below bodies in pace line. First use in Oct 2021. No 100+ mile rides with 315 yet, so don't have a good sense for battery life. No issues with 60 miles or less (3-ish hours). Also have Varia 800 front light for solid beam use - but mostly use a BT RT Ion front for day/dusk blink. Like the ease of front/rear blinky lights turning on and off with starting/pausing/stopping ride track on computer.

Number of "off-speed" approaching objects (not necessarily vehicles) is the primary radar benefit for me - especially when working with paceline rides. Nice to have "extra eyes" for getting group positioned for left turns with less disruption of pace line and traffic. Also helps to keep group tight if multiple overtaking vehicles are expected and not a surprise. Radar is a little annoying on busy roadways until it becomes second nature. Makes it easier to watch wheels in front and traffic behind at the same time, which makes group rides a little less stressful and even more enjoyable.
I have done 5hr road rides with the 315 with no issue. I'll usually ride 2-3 rides before charging. The third ride I might get a low battery warning. Those 3 rides usually add up to 6+hours.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
It will go off if a cyclist closes from behind at a relatively high rate of speed. If you are traveling at approximately the same speed, it won’t alert.
Thanks, explains it... I never get passed on the flats but all the time on the hills.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
We have a 61 Synapse coming to the shop early next month. I’ll let you know.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:36 AM

Do we think battery life on the unit without the blinking light is substantially better? Do they have the same battery? Any idea how much of the stored energy is used by the light vs the radar?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Do we think battery life on the unit without the blinking light is substantially better? Do they have the same battery? Any idea how much of the stored energy is used by the light vs the radar?
According to published specs - no. RTL515 "up to 16 hours day flash mode" or 6 hours solid. Published specs (Garmin) for "RVR315 " up to 7 hours". The 315 is a little thicker than 515, but shorter. Pretty close to the amount of space the light takes up.

Not being logical to me, I called Garmin product management to confirm unit with light has greater battery life than unit with no light. "Yup - they are not the same", said she. Well, OK but seems very strange, since the available space for battery is about the same. With light off does 515 last longer than 16 hours? No way to turn light off but radar on.

I asked if there was any way to update firmware to operate Varia while being charged. Answer was no to that too, but acknowledged that feature would be desirable for 100-150+ mile rides which usually involve a lot of back road. Is also the case for the Varia 800 front light - will not operate while being charged.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I have done 5hr road rides with the 315 with no issue. I'll usually ride 2-3 rides before charging. The third ride I might get a low battery warning. Those 3 rides usually add up to 6+hours.
Great! Thank you for info.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
No way to turn light off but radar on.
This is actually false. While you can't access this mode via the buttons, you can by adding the Varia to a lighting network and turn it off from there. Works on both Garmin and Hammerhead headunits, but not Wahoo.