Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Rockstruck

Seems like rapha-esque brand marketing, but it I would guess (i.e.without googling) that it came out of the same people who give us the hot Pantone colors for each upcoming season. The phrase to me says colors that go together in a pleasing way. I find it overcooked when repeatedly applied to a paint job on a bike, but I get it when I look at a Ritchey sunset fade.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
It comes from inside the retail trade and been around a long while.

Store buyer: “thats a nice blouse, we want to stock them”

Clothing rep: “they come in 4 colorways and small thru xxl”

Store buyer: “we’ll take a dozen each size and colorway but the fuschia”

And there’s no “u” in color.

;>)
Ask anyone outside of the USA whose native tongue is English and there is a 'U' in 'colourway'!

Nobody uses that term in architecture (but I may be out of touch now). Its a 'palette' (BTW, not a pallet!)
Old 11-23-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Ask anyone outside of the USA whose native tongue is English and there is a 'U' in 'colourway'!

Nobody uses that term in architecture (but I may be out of touch now). Its a 'palette' (BTW, not a pallet!)
Ah, the old palette wars. I just clicked my tongue against my palate in annoyance.

Oh, and Henry, old chap, occasionally you guys need reminding this is an international forum. There is a 'u' in colour, and tyre may be spelled either way.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Over a decade ago by sneakerheads on the other side of the pond.
Sneakers are definitely the thing I associate with "colourway". It's been in use for a long time - at least since the 90's.

I think of the word being like "colour scheme". Not just about a single colour.

KJ
Old 11-23-2021, 04:25 PM
The B!

yea, the word grosses me out, but it's not brand new - just apparently brand new to mainstream US retail. apparently 'em brits n canadians been using it for a while. my girlfriend works for a canadian-based women's boutique and will drop that word from time to time when talking about their products.

it just feels like an affectation to me. here in mainstream US culture we've already got some perfectly good words to use, and throwing "colourway" on top is funky and attention-grabbing. but that doesn't mean its use is limited to people who pronounce "either" "eyether" - the aforementioned girlfriend, for instance, is one of the least ostentatious people i think i've ever known (opposites attract) so she gets a pass.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:32 PM

The term *colourway* bothers me a whole lot less than the term *curate* as when referring to somebody laying in a stock of something….
Old 11-23-2021, 04:34 PM

I first heard colourway used in our hobby about a year ago when someone complimented my choice of color scheme on my Lemond Wayzata, as in "Hey, I love the colourway on your bike!", to which I thought, "Huh?". To be honest, I had to look up the definition of the word so that I could be sure what he was talking about. After that, I notice the word being used more and more everywhere, not just on bikes.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:35 PM

The rumour is that the "colourway" came into favour when cyclists wanted to match their frameway with their wheelway and their groupway.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:47 PM

I first heard it in the mid 2000s while working in a print shop. I started hearing it in there and in the BMX bike world at the same time (it was my last gasp of riding street and park before the crashes just hurt too much the next day).

It did used to bother me. I'm not sure why. I appreciate that language is fluid, and I know having a single word to express the existence of a single graphical design with multiple versions using unique, complimentary colors is a good thing. It still felt like invented lingo with a touch of implied exclusivity and I can't put my finger on why.

I'm also annoyed that the term "moving forward" has pretty much completely replaced "from now on" in all business communications. NO idea why. It's just language doing what language does.

People are weird, including me.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:06 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
I'm also annoyed that the term "moving forward" has pretty much completely replaced "from now on" in all business communications. NO idea why. It's just language doing what language does.

People are weird, including me.
Hah...I am with you....especially with business communication...is it too hard to be precise in what you are saying?

My pet peeve term: reach out

As in "I will reach out to Bob." *** does that mean? Are you going to call? Email? USPS? Meet for coffee????

Sorry....I'm finished now....
Old 11-23-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Over a decade ago by sneakerheads on the other side of the pond.
This. It's been going on for at least 10 years, started with sneaker folk, then streetwear / supreme-oids, and soon the takeover will be complete.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:28 PM

I recall it being a thing in fashion since 2005
Old 11-23-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The rumour is that the "colourway" came into favour when cyclists wanted to match their frameway with their wheelway and their groupway.
No way [dude].
Old 11-23-2021, 05:43 PM

^^^^ Is that eshay adlay?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
Ah, the old palette wars. I just clicked my tongue against my palate in annoyance.

Oh, and Henry, old chap, occasionally you guys need reminding this is an international forum. There is a 'u' in colour, and tyre may be spelled either way.
You ain’t from around here is you boy?