Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Athena derailleurs used the pre-2015 geometry and cable travel. Potenza derailleurs use the post-2015 geometry and cable travel. So they will be as compatible as any other pre-2015 derailleur and post-2015 shifter.
Potenza 11 rear derailleurs will not work reliably with C/R/SR 11 2015+ shifters.

They just won't.

See this fallacy repeated everywhere. It doesn't work properly!

It might start of "ok-ish", but in very short order things will drift and you'll hate the system. I was an early adopter of the Potenza medium cage rear derailleur (before the med cage HO options arrived the following year) on an otherwise Chorus 2015+ system and it was a dogs breakfast.

Greame_f_k made it clear this was to do with return spring on the Potenza derailleur.

I am told (but never tried) that Potenza 11 shifters will work fine with the Chorus HO derailleurs.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:48 PM

(Sorry I re-read the post above and it wasn't meant to come across aggressive or anything. I just know what I know based on experience and had it confirmed in writing from someone who knows more than just about anyone else on the subject of Campy parts compatibility).

On that note, I've quit WeightWeenies forum years ago and refuse to ever go back, but I remember someone there asked the question of compatibility and Graeme_f_k did post a nice little bullet point list about the compatibility of 11 speed generations of parts. It's probably there if one were to do a search.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Potenza 11 rear derailleurs will not work reliably with C/R/SR 11 2015+ shifters.

They just won't.

See this fallacy repeated everywhere. It doesn't work properly!

It might start of "ok-ish", but in very short order things will drift and you'll hate the system. I was an early adopter of the Potenza medium cage rear derailleur (before the med cage HO options arrived the following year) on an otherwise Chorus 2015+ system and it was a dogs breakfast.

Greame_f_k made it clear this was to do with return spring on the Potenza derailleur.

I am told (but never tried) that Potenza 11 shifters will work fine with the Chorus HO derailleurs.
Potenza derailleurs and shifters use the same geometry/cable pull ratio as other 2015+ groups (Chorus, Record, Super Record). The difference is that Potenza rear derailleurs have a weaker return spring. This means that when a Potenza rear derailleur is paired with a Chorus/Record/Super Record shifter, the indexing will be more sensitive to cable friction. However, Chorus/Record/Super Record rear derailleurs will work fine with Potenza shifters.

All 2015+ front derailleurs and shifters are inter-compatible (Potenza, Chorus, Record, Super Record).
Old 05-29-2021, 10:10 PM

Fair enough. May have simply been a cable friction thing. The frame was an internally routed frame and perhaps I'd have had better luck with external routing and a better cable path.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Potenza derailleurs and shifters use the same geometry/cable pull ratio as other 2015+ groups (Chorus, Record, Super Record). The difference is that Potenza rear derailleurs have a weaker return spring. This means that when a Potenza rear derailleur is paired with a Chorus/Record/Super Record shifter, the indexing will be more sensitive to cable friction. However, Chorus/Record/Super Record rear derailleurs will work fine with Potenza shifters.

All 2015+ front derailleurs and shifters are inter-compatible (Potenza, Chorus, Record, Super Record).
Got it thank you. Gotta say I am pretty impressed with the amount of knowledge around here
Old 09-05-2021, 06:34 PM
3D

Confirm that Chorus 11s ergo works fine with record 10s rd on 11 cassette.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywander View Post
Confirm that Chorus 11s ergo works fine with record 10s rd on 11 cassette.
They don't really. They undershift too much to really work. There are 'alternative' cable mounting ideas but generally, it doesn't really work. Now, 11s RD on 10s ERGO, that works much better w/o any modification.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
They don't really. They undershift too much to really work. There are 'alternative' cable mounting ideas but generally, it doesn't really work. Now, 11s RD on 10s ERGO, that works much better w/o any modification.
If an 10spd derailleur with 11spd undershifts, wouldn't an 11spd derailleur with 10spd shifters overshift (and to the same degree)?
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
i can confirm BoyWander
i'm using pre-'15 Chorus 11 shifters with 10s long cage RD, 11-34 shimano(sram?) cassette, kmc 11s chain
shifts perfectly fine
as far as i know the cable mounting is pretty standard
Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
If an 10spd derailleur with 11spd undershifts, wouldn't an 11spd derailleur with 10spd shifters overshift (and to the same degree)?
A 11s rear der with 10s shifters DOES 'overshift' a bit but IME(more than a few rigs where I have used a 2009+11s rear der as replacement) it works really well. Whereas the opposite, 10s rear der with 11s shifters, really doesn't.

Hands on, no 'measurements, it just works, or doesn't.

But above, Kingson..if it works, groovy..when I tried 2-3 times, it just didn't.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:22 PM

Did anyone confirm if Centaur 11 uses a unique cable pull or if it is compatible with other systems?
Old 01-14-2022, 05:42 PM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Did anyone confirm if Centaur 11 uses a unique cable pull or if it is compatible with other systems?

It’s compatible with others. See what Oldpotato said in #10 post.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It’s compatible with others. See what Oldpotato said in #10 post.
Post 10 does not address 11 speed centaur. It’s different design than the derailleurs pictured.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:22 PM
3D

Quote:
Pre 2015 'stuff' works with 2015 and later 'stuff' just fine. Shifters, ders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Post 10 does not address 11 speed centaur. It’s different design than the derailleurs pictured.

No, it doesn’t specifically mention centaur but One can assume all 11s works, shifters and derailleurs regardless before or after 2015.

Pete, correct me if I’m misreading this.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn’t specifically mention centaur but One can assume all 11s works, shifters and derailleurs regardless before or after 2015.

Pete, correct me if I’m misreading this.
Several early reports said centaur 11 shifters and the rear derailleur were don’t compatible with prior 11 speed. Same cassette and chain spacing but different cable pull and derailleur ratio. Unless OP said he has specificly tested centaur, I would say he can only confirm the first two versions of 11spd derailleurs, not the third variant. I am hoping to clear this up before I possibly spend money.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-14-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Tags
campagnolo, compatibility, interchangeability