Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My sister-in-law lived in a small rural village (Deubach (SP?) which was an easy train ride from Munich and Augsberg and MUCH cheaper than those cities. There must be hundreds if not thousands of similar towns all over Europe. Hmm, OTOH wouldn't having Spanish as the main language be a big plus for you?
Good suggestion to look for a small town. Perhaps I can find a small town not to far from a big city with easy transportation.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Two wheels good

You have a very cool opportunity. Keep us posted on how it goes. If you write I'd check out your blog of how you decide and how it works out.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcolombiano View Post
I would like to establish a base somewhere where I can keep a car, bicycle, clothing and computer maybe small motorhome etc..
I don't have any particular info for you, but one thing I think you need to specify is whether you'd want to live at this location year-round, or only during the prime riding season. That distinction would presumably have a significant effect on the weather you'd prefer and therefore your choice of location.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

How about this pied-à-terre in Rome?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/18/w...smid=url-share

Gravel rides out your front door, albeit a bit short, some art, plus plenty of room to store all your bikes:

Old 01-19-2022, 03:23 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
My grand parents escaped the Nazis from Germany during WWII and made it to Colombia. I have applied for German Citizenship and it has been approved. I can now live in any country in the European Union. I would like to establish a base somewhere where I can keep a car, bicycle, clothing and computer maybe small motorhome etc..

Does anyone have any suggestions where to establish a good cycling base in Europe. Generaly in Europe the closer you are to the center of a large city the more expensive the real estate. There are so many good places I don't even know where to start. Perhaps I could buy a studio apartment and AirBnb it when I am not using it.

I was thinking about Freiburg Germany near the Black Forest area. Its an easy drive to Switzerland, France and Northern Italy. Another idea would be around Valencia Spain that has better year round weather but is far from the rest of the continent.
First consideration (for me) would be the job situation, then the language. I am a german EU citizen and would in theory have the option to have my home base in france which is just across the border from where i am (Freiburg ) but if you dont speak the language well it is a hurdle, both socially and for the bueraucracy involved, even with an EU passport. Nothing unsolveable, but still.

If those are no concern, there are a lot of beautiful spots all across the continent as a cycling home base.. Here the riding is great, black forest at the doorstep, les Vosges a short hop away, etc... you can also look at the southern part of france in the alpe maritime/alpe hautes provence/var/vaucluse/drome area, also souhern tyrol with Bozen/Bolzano or Trento as a home base is amazing. Girona as well. Lots lots lots to pick from..

depending on how independent you are, what is keeping you from spending a time here, a time there?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:19 AM

What language(s) do you speak?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:47 AM

I lived in Vienna for a year and it was truly wonderful. Great riding up through the Wienerwald or along the Danube, though winter is a bit messy. Also, it is expensive. Some of the neighboring small towns though are far less expensive and the infrastructure, from trains and trolleys to roadways are some of the best I’ve ridden.

Another possibility is northern Croatia. German widely spoken, relatively inexpensive and beautiful with mountains and sea.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 AM

Alsace? Rented some bikes in Colmar and rode around the towns and vineyards at the foot of the Vosges Mountains - very beautiful with excellent riding.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
<snip>

I was thinking about Freiburg Germany near the Black Forest area. Its an easy drive to Switzerland, France and Northern Italy. Another idea would be around Valencia Spain that has better year round weather but is far from the rest of the continent.
The most well-traveled couple I have met planned for retirement in Freiburg. He was French--and said although it pained him to admit it, things worked better in Germany. So their plan was, live in Germany, drive across the border into France to shop for wine and cheese! Sadly, he passed away before they got to move there.

We even poked around on the web looking at houses for a time since we were so inspired by the story. And living in Germany for us was great--food is not expensive, services are efficient--generally cost of living was less than in the US... Frieburg housing did not seem cheap, but there is a nice 'old town' and the city generally has worked hard to be eco-conscious.

As far as language--I arrived not speaking German and managed (since most of the younger generation had English in school), and took German lessons while we were there, and was speaking passable German after two years..,.

Last edited by paredown; 01-19-2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
I lived in Vienna for a year and it was truly wonderful
I couldnt imagine dealing with the cost of living in austria or switzerland unless you had to.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 AM

I'll throw in a vote for coastal Spain, having just returned from a trip to Altea.

Granted, I've never been in summer and I'm sure it's hot, but this time of year was lovely and not busy. Loads of options for cycling (great smooth roads, lots of climbing, tons of others to ride with if you choose), endless areas to explore in the surrounding region, and wonderful and relatively inexpensive food and housing.

I totally get why France is also being discussed as an option, but I need to see the ocean and I'd take coastal Spain over coastal France.

Sounds like a great adventure no matter where you choose!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I couldnt imagine dealing with the cost of living in austria or switzerland unless you had to.
Not like the cost of living in the States is much better
Old 01-19-2022, 09:50 AM

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, wherever you end up. You appear to be leaning towards Germany. The Rhine valley near Alsace and Switzerland could be a fine choice. And you have a familiarity with German language and culture, so, a leg up there.

We have gotten to know France, and riding there, over a number of trips over a few decades. We bought a house in the southwest of France, la Nouvelle Aquitaine region, going on four years ago. The area has wonderful cycling, generally kind and outgoing people, and stunning countryside, if not the drama of alpine terrain. It is above the Dordogne River, about two hours drive north of Toulouse, about two and a half hours east of Bordeaux. The nearest metro area is Brive-la-Gaillarde, about 20k.

In looking for a great cycling area pretty much anywhere in France, perhaps all of Europe, I dunno, we've always looked on the Michelin maps for areas that had a network of what we call 'white roads', the small ones. If you study a map, you'll begin to see what I mean. These can be fabulous cycling, low traffic, great vistas, little towns, etc. So check the areas you are looking at for this kind of thing. France (the country) also has a great national map on line called Geoportail, where you can really look at a lot of aspects of the road network and terrain, elevation, features, all in different layers. They even have a layer for property boundaries, so you can see the limits of every property in the country. Germany probably has something similar.

The next suggestions that jumped out at me from those offered in the thread were to take a little time to spend in an area before buying. We visited our town and area towns for three trips over two years, before deciding where to be,or whether to be there at all. There were towns that seemed right, but just didn't have the same attitude of welcome towards newcomers. That sense of being able to become a part of a place, and not have the barriers of suspicion or the like in your way, will make it much easier to find your place in a community. Trust your gut on this aspect of things. Our town gave us a fine chance to fit in, and we have more and more a welcoming smile to greet us on our return each time. It is always a joy to go back. After a 20 month hiatus due to the pandemic, I was in tears on arrival.

Our place isn't an ancient house, but rather a simple, easy to keep clean and secure, inexpensive to maintain small house that will hold its value. It has low carrying costs. It's in a small neighborhood with nice neighbors.

I think all of these things matter in the pursuit of cycling happiness. Lots of luck in your search. It sounds like you are on a good path already.

Looking down past our place below the village, the Dordogne River valley in the distance:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9928.jpg (148.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 AM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Girona. Seems like the natural choice if buying somewhere as you can rent it out whenever you're not there and you are guaranteed to have it occupied by cyclists.

But if Spain isn't your thing, it's hard to argue with Provence IMO. Close enough to the alps that you can get there on a train/in a car, but also wonderful wonderful riding on your doorstep. I have a friend who lives in Cereste and it's just fantastic around there. And only a 90 minute drive from Marseille airport or close enough to Avignon where you can take the Eurostar all the way to London direct in the summer.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned Girona. Seems like the natural choice if buying somewhere as you can rent it out whenever you're not there and you are guaranteed to have it occupied by cyclists.

But if Spain isn't your thing, it's hard to argue with Provence IMO. Close enough to the alps that you can get there on a train/in a car, but also wonderful wonderful riding on your doorstep. I have a friend who lives in Cereste and it's just fantastic around there. And only a 90 minute drive from Marseille airport or close enough to Avignon where you can take the Eurostar all the way to London direct in the summer.
Post #3