Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 01:27 PM

Stumbled across this new option from Universal Colours... Really like the look of it, and not terribly priced.
https://www.universalcolours.com/pro...ackable-jacket
Old 01-17-2022, 02:23 PM

For the record, I’ve commuted with a down jacket for years with no ill effect. Dri-down is pretty amazing stuff. A lighter weight version from any of the big retailers will work.

Wouldn’t use it for high effort rides, but commuting and easy efforts? Heck yeah.

All that being said, there’s been lots of talk about PrimaLoft, but none about Climashield Apex. I’ve got a couple of items as a synthetic replacement for down, and so far so good.

Enlightened Equipment makes the Torrid.. which may be something interesting to you. Not as stylish as some of the other suggestions, but may fit the bill.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:21 PM

5 pages and no mention of this? Seems to tick all the boxes.

https://brandt-sorenson.com/collecti...ht-puff-jacket

Don’t cheap out and skip the matching mask

https://brandt-sorenson.com/collecti...wool-puff-mask
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 PM

These Ortovox jackets with wool insulation are phenomenal. Not cycling specific but my preferred for backcountry skiing where you can get hot on the way up and potentially get the insulation wet. Frankly down insulation is no good for truly active sports unless it’s super cold or you’re really careful about heat management. In truly cold weather I will wear the Ortovox and then I have a deep cold puffy I put on over it as I transition if needed or in camp.. TMI and not cycling related but after eons of cycling and backcountry skiing I’m sold on the “Swisswool” insulation in these coats vs. down or various other synthetics. The Ortovox are slim cut with nice long arms but not cycling specific cut with a long back if needed/wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Ortovox has wool puffy coats and vests that pack down nicely. I have a vest that's reversible with pockets all over the place. Good colorways too. Steepandcheap/Backcountry has them.

There's also this fleecy/puffy jacket in any color you want as long as it's black https://isadore.com/urban-reversible-jacket
Old 01-17-2022, 08:06 PM

Climashield Apex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
5 pages and no mention of this? Seems to tick all the boxes.

https://brandt-sorenson.com/collecti...ht-puff-jacket

Don’t cheap out and skip the matching mask

https://brandt-sorenson.com/collecti...wool-puff-mask
Old 01-17-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
These Ortovox jackets with wool insulation are phenomenal. Not cycling specific but my preferred for backcountry skiing where you can get hot on the way up and potentially get the insulation wet. Frankly down insulation is no good for truly active sports unless it’s super cold or you’re really careful about heat management. In truly cold weather I will wear the Ortovox and then I have a deep cold puffy I put on over it as I transition if needed or in camp.. TMI and not cycling related but after eons of cycling and backcountry skiing I’m sold on the “Swisswool” insulation in these coats vs. down or various other synthetics. The Ortovox are slim cut with nice long arms but not cycling specific cut with a long back if needed/wanted.
That stuff looks nice. Has Ortovox always sold clothing, I only knew them as making avalanche transceivers.

Which piece or pieces you wear in the BC?
Old 01-17-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Climashield Apex!

Take my money!!!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 PM

This is how I roll in the cold
https://www.filmsjackets.com/seinfel...ostanza-jacket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6A96F6E-CD6D-426C-A2A5-9833544C4AAA.jpg (27.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post

686 did a nice replica of that jacket last season or the one before. Sold out immediately.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Jesus Christ I’m 100% watching Seinfeld on Netflix and George is arguing with an old man about his Rascal…too weird
Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 PM

Mission Workshop X Acre. Great on bike fit…lots of storage space with 2 internal pockets, 2 front zip pockets and one large rear stowe pocket. Two way zippers as well.

https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...39627876204653
Old 01-19-2022, 05:20 AM

I have a jacket with the wool insulation. It’s similar in insulation weight to a light puffy. Mine is older but the new model comparable is Swisswool Piz Boval Jacket. I picked mine up on a bit of a whim in 2016 in Austria as I struggle with long enough arms and a slim torso vs. Patagonia, TNF, etc. Also knew them for transceivers and avy packs but not much about the clothes at the time. Have noticed you can now get the clothing in the states so thought I’d chime in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
That stuff looks nice. Has Ortovox always sold clothing, I only knew them as making avalanche transceivers.

Which piece or pieces you wear in the BC?
Old 01-19-2022, 05:43 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Down is very good for keeping you warm. It does nothing against wind. Correct my if i'm wrong, but this is the opposite of what is required for cycling in the cold, a good wind protection is "half the rent paid" as we say in our neck of the woods. ?!
That's a good point. I have been able to get away with wearing much less bulk by using my Gore Tex shakedry not just in the rain but for wind protection. It's especially effective for those early morning rides with huge temp. variation at the beginning of the ride compared to later on in the ride when the sun is out and it's 5-10 degrees higher than when I started. It's lightweight and can be packed down small.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
I have a jacket with the wool insulation. It’s similar in insulation weight to a light puffy. Mine is older but the new model comparable is Swisswool Piz Boval Jacket. I picked mine up on a bit of a whim in 2016 in Austria as I struggle with long enough arms and a slim torso vs. Patagonia, TNF, etc. Also knew them for transceivers and avy packs but not much about the clothes at the time. Have noticed you can now get the clothing in the states so thought I’d chime in here.
Thanks

I might need to try one of those.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:30 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Haven't read the whole thread, but I have a wool-ish PI vest that's not specifically bike cut. Part of their lifestyle lineup.

...but my favorites are North Face Thermoball. Wearing my vest as I'm typing this

M