Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 08:44 PM

Beer (and wine, and bourbon, and scotch) lover here, I don't think there are any bad styles of beer, just bad and good versions of each style. Good or bad is subject to MY interpretation LOL . I look for complexity and depth in taste as well as pleasing to the palate, but then, I don't drink to get drunk, I have poured out more than one $7 can of beer because it was horrible. Anything produced to be the "most" is questionable, remember the hops arms race anyone remember the Green Flash Palate Wrecker? Why do that?? I've had some Hazy IPAs I had to chew, that gave me indigestion. That was either the dregs from the kettle or added pulp, again, why? The sour/farmhouse craze is on here in Bend, I like them, some are extremely well done, but they need to have more in the game than pucker factor.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:44 AM

The hops arms race is similar to the oak arms race with wine. Both also stretched the alcohol content with the more is better philosophy.

An overly hopped IPA is as close to a true Pils as Weizen. I only drink beer for a 4-6 week period in summer and nothing is better than coming back from a 95F ride, taking a shower, and then reaching for any beer other than a huge IPA. Usually a Pils or a Weisse bier......maybe with lemons squeeze into it.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
nothing is better than coming back from a 95F ride, taking a shower, and then reaching for any beer
Concur. However, I typically take the beer in the shower with me.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:18 PM

I appreciate all the recs and beer preference chat. However, I was actually more curious how bottles or cans of (albeit also mass-produced brands in some cases) beer from Europe are being shipped and put on the shelves here and selling for less than the mass-produced american stuff that I don't think anyone would label as craft.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I appreciate all the recs and beer preference chat. However, I was actually more curious how bottles or cans of (albeit also mass-produced brands in some cases) beer from Europe are being shipped and put on the shelves here and selling for less than the mass-produced american stuff that I don't think anyone would label as craft.
Was it made in Europe though? The Stella sitting in my fridge was brewed in Missouri...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:00 PM
I need you cool.

I always have a six pack of Kona Longboard Pilsner in the fridge....a little sweet, but very tasty ice cold.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:34 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Taxes, the lack thereof, in their home country.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I would like to know what Euro brands you are finding that are priced lower than beers produced in the USA by the big international companies. A case (24) of Budweiser retails for about $16.50 here. The cheapest locally available beer that's produced in Europe is Heineken, at $20.73 for 18 bottles.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:56 PM
the Central Scrutinizer

"American beer is served cold so it can be distinguished from urine." Humphrey Bogart
Old 01-19-2022, 07:02 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
"American beer is served cold so it can be distinguished from urine." Humphrey Bogart
I'm chuckling. Not sure I agree...but still, funny.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
It's my opinion that if you don't like your beer at room temperature you don't like your beer. A cold one is nice when it's hot just to cool down a bit but flavor will be reduced at near freezing temps.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'm chuckling. Not sure I agree...but still, funny.
I suspect that I don't agree with Bogart's statement but don't doubt that he made it. Perhaps he had actual comparison experiences that most of us have not had.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Well, there is "What is the difference between Bud Light and sex in a canoe?". You should be able to guess the answer.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:29 AM

I’m getting 6s of 16oz Radnerger Pils for 9.99 which is on par with 16oz Bud 6. However, I’ve noticed that prices are inching up and at Other supermarkets it’s at 11.99 ish. I’ve been also buying Gaffel Kolch but at 11.99 for 4
Old 01-20-2022, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Was it made in Europe though? The Stella sitting in my fridge was brewed in Missouri...
"Fosters, Australian for beer, mate"..brewed in Dallas...

Yup, and I like it..so what, it's beer.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/77zV/fosters...ian-bipartisan
Attached Images
File Type: gif BP0586.gif (37.6 KB, 37 views)