Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 08:10 PM

It's my medium 595 in the classifieds.

My experience with the 585 and 595 is that I fall in between M and L. I'm 5' 9" with 32 inseam. I have had both L and M and I prefer the medium. I can get stack and reach to work on both but it's about the feel - I always prefer a smaller bike with a longer stem.

Here's a 595 L I have. The seat mast creates some sizing complications. I have a saddle height at 74.5 and I need to run the e-post without spacers.

Only issue I've seen with these is galvanic corrosion at the bottle screws and BB shell. Otherwise, they are worth the hype and praise they still get despite being 10+ year old carbon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Look 595 ~2.jpg (140.4 KB, 423 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:04 PM

To see what the fuss is about

I had been looking occasionally for a 585, 595, EPS, C50 or a VXRS to see what all of the fuss is about, so when this 2009 585 Ultra (medium) popped up on Ebay, I went for it. It was advertised as a display frame and it was spotless! It's currently a work in progress as I have a lot of things going on, but it'll be Enve 3.4 tubs mounted with 25mm Veloflex's, mech. D/A and some Ultegra bits..Thomson carbon handlebars and either a Thomson stem or Rotor S1..
If it lives up to it's hype, it'll join my Ottrott and my Look 695 Aerolight .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized.jpg (147.1 KB, 399 views)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:23 AM

"If it lives up to it's hype, it'll join my Ottrott and my Look 695 Aerolight"

Curious if it will live up to the hype.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstewss View Post
"If it lives up to it's hype, it'll join my Ottrott and my Look 695 Aerolight"

Curious if it will live up to the hype.
Same. My 585 Ultra daily rider is a really nice bike but doesn't quite seem to have the "magic carpet" ride of my 585 Origin. Not sure why but the layup is different. It's as stiff as I need it to be.

And while it doesn't have quite as sweet a ride, it's just fine for the riding I do and I can't think of any reason to replace it though I am very much intrigued by the Specialized Aethos or something along those lines, or a new Pinarello. But these provide most of what I'm looking for in a bike so there's no urgency to drop a ton of cash.

This is the Origin that lives in Minneapolis for when I visit and need to do a beer run at Minnehaha Falls! In no case is my bike holding me back. I believe it's the beer runs to Minnehaha Falls that are holding me back......
Old 01-18-2022, 11:01 AM

ha, looks great with the beer! I am getting my 586 souped up. stay tuned.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
I reached out re the 595 Ultra that was posted last night.
I'm torn on sizing and more.

I'm 220 lbs with a muscular build. My current rides include Thwart's old HC and Thwart/Akelman's old CdA.
Fit is different on both with the HC a bit longer and the CdA a bit taller.
Maybe a little longer than ideal and taller than ideal, though I thoroughly enjoy both.

I've essentially avoided carbon and stuck with steel for most of my riding....and wondered a whole bunch about the various lugged carbon given the reviews and accounts I've read.

Any thoughts on fit (the one that's being sold is a M and I worry that it might be too short in the top tube and/or too short in the head tube ~ given 3 back surgeries, I no longer go long and low).
And thoughts on suitability of the frame for an athletic, non-racer that rides the bucolic rolling hills of SW Vermont and neighboring MA and NY. Reading through portions of this thread the 585 seems to be preferred by many, but I think that, at my size, the 595 Ultra might be a better fit for me.
I had a 595 and have had a couple of 585s (standard model) as well. They were all great bikes. However, if I were a muscular 220 lbs, I'd be a bit hesitant buying a 595. They were known to develop cracks (at least in the paint) at the base of the seatmast by the seat stays. I would think that a heavier, more powerful rider could easily exacerbate that issue. I wouldn't have that concern as much with a 585 since they used a standard seatpost.

Texbike
Old 01-18-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
It's my medium 595 in the classifieds.

My experience with the 585 and 595 is that I fall in between M and L. I'm 5' 9" with 32 inseam. I have had both L and M and I prefer the medium. I can get stack and reach to work on both but it's about the feel - I always prefer a smaller bike with a longer stem.

Here's a 595 L I have. The seat mast creates some sizing complications. I have a saddle height at 74.5 and I need to run the e-post without spacers.

Only issue I've seen with these is galvanic corrosion at the bottle screws and BB shell. Otherwise, they are worth the hype and praise they still get despite being 10+ year old carbon.
So that bike in the classified will fit someone who is 5'9" with 32" inseam? So tempting...
Old 01-18-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
So that bike in the classified will fit someone who is 5'9" with 32" inseam? So tempting...
Fit is so personal. I would go check stack and reach and other fit considerations. I have found this frame comparison tool useful:

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison/
Old 01-18-2022, 11:40 AM
Robin (she/her)

Well now *I* want one!
Old 01-18-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I had a 595 and have had a couple of 585s (standard model) as well. They were all great bikes. However, if I were a muscular 220 lbs, I'd be a bit hesitant buying a 595. They were known to develop cracks (at least in the paint) at the base of the seatmast by the seat stays. I would think that a heavier, more powerful rider could easily exacerbate that issue. I wouldn't have that concern as much with a 585 since they used a standard seatpost.

Texbike
Thank you for this feedback.

So torn on this...my current bikes are clearly taller in the headtube and longer in TT or effective TT, but with a saddle height of 72.7, the M DOES seem to be right.

Any comment(s) based on that re: "fit"?

Whether seatmast (595) or seatpost (585) is separate ~ but I'd appreciate other thoughts on this, too.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM

Perusing this thread, this model is clearly a modern classic. You would be hard pressed to find a bike with a more devoted following. Very impressive…
Old 01-18-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
Thank you for this feedback.

So torn on this...my current bikes are clearly taller in the headtube and longer in TT or effective TT, but with a saddle height of 72.7, the M DOES seem to be right.

Any comment(s) based on that re: "fit"?

Whether seatmast (595) or seatpost (585) is separate ~ but I'd appreciate other thoughts on this, too.
I've had a Ridley Helium and my Look 695 Aerolight with integrated seatposts and although I'm ok with them, given the choice, I would go with a seatpost as they're just more flexible for my fit. Not to mention resale.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:31 PM

I thought I'd bring this one back up to the top for fun. My daily rider has been my trusty old Ultra with Shimano 5800. It's pictured here at the front.

The white one is my Origin and has been in Minneapolis at my mother's place for a number of years but this spring when I went up for a visit it became clear it needed some TLC and I didn't have the time or tools to do it there so I brought it home with me. Work is done and one of these will go back to Minneapolis next time I drive up from Chicagoland.

The third one in line is a NOS Ultra I've had for a number of years as a spare in case one of the others suffered a write-off incident. They're not making these anymore of course and I like them so when this became available I bought it, five or six years ago. I sold another bike this spring and transferred the Shimano 9000 groupset over to this bike, with new cables and housing. Also bought a set of Gen 2 ENVE 3.4s, which look nice but honestly don't do much for me otherwise for my daily riding. So they're for sale if anyone is interested.

It's a chance to have all my favorite bikes in one place for a bit and I can tell I really like the ride quality of the Origin. It does seem slightly sweeter than the Ultra, though the differences are splitting hairs and tires make a larger difference anyway.

They're all fantastic and make me wonder why I'd want to drop a 5-figure sum on a new superbike from one of the prestigious brands. These literally do everything I want. The only thing I'd want different would be the ability to maybe take a true 28 or 30 mm tire. Otherwise these tick pretty much all the boxes. Stiff enough, reliable race-bike handling, understated design (but with far too many graphics), etc. And a 27.2 seat tube and a threaded BB.

I first rode a Look KG96 over 30 years ago and immediately fell in love with the brand. The white Origin pictured here might be my favorite because it retains the springy nature of the first Look KG96 I ever rode. My desire for more modern Looks ended when this model went out of production.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update. It would be great if Look did a reissue of the 585, I'd certainly get in line for one.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Thanks for the update. It would be great if Look did a reissue of the 585, I'd certainly get in line for one.
I actually wrote the US distributor & he said many have requested just that
I also showed him the threads here & WW & he said he would pass them along
That was well over a year ago tho