Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2021, 12:42 PM

Tacx Neo 2T vs. Kickr

Does anybody have a strong recommendation for a Tacx Neo 2T over the gen 5 (newest) Wahoo Kickr? My 2018 Kickr Core is dying a slow death and I'm in the market. I primarily use it when the weather turns sour during winter hooked up to Zwift running custom workouts in both Sim mode and Erg mode. My setup is permanent so portability is not a concern. I've been watching a bunch of review videos and seems like they're both pretty solid.. I'd currently give a slight edge to the Neo just for having a few additional features (that I probably won't use anyway). Same price same availability locally
Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 PM

I just got a Neo 2 and have been loving it for TR workouts. It’s a lot smoother than the Hammer H2 even though the H2 flywheel seems to handle large changes in power more easily. The Neo is very quiet too. I got mine second hand, very lightly used.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 PM

Keep in mind the Neo has a virtual flywheel vs. the Kickr with an actual flywheel, different feel, especially in ERG mode.

I went form a G1 kickr to a Neo2t, Sold the Neo2t and purchased the latest version of the Kickr as I didn't like the feel of the virtual flywheel while doing workouts in ERG mode.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:19 PM
Randomhead

Doesn't the Neo work without power?
Old 11-24-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Doesn't the Neo work without power?
Mine does.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Keep in mind the Neo has a virtual flywheel vs. the Kickr with an actual flywheel, different feel, especially in ERG mode.

I went form a G1 kickr to a Neo2t, Sold the Neo2t and purchased the latest version of the Kickr as I didn't like the feel of the virtual flywheel while doing workouts in ERG mode.
I'm actually liking the virtual flywheel better on the Neo than the heavy flywheel on the H2. I struggled to keep my cadence up on the H2 and felt like I was always fighting a death spiral in erg mode on that that pushed me down into the low 80s. On the Neo I'm having no trouble keeping it in the low 90s or above for 1.5hr SS workouts in ERG mode. I haven't used a Kickr though..
Old 11-24-2021, 01:33 PM

All Neos work without power, but you lose the ability to update software and the powered downhill does not work without power.

I have an original Neo which has been wonderful, but if I have to replace it I'll probably go with a Kickr. In the US, I've heard nothing but good reports of Wahoo service,support. Garmin seems to be improving, but there have been reports of poor service. For example, they won't even offer repair service for ny original Neo.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:21 PM

I burned through two Kickrs in 18 months and asked my shop which trainer they see the LEAST for warranty issues and failures.

Drum roll.....

It's the Elite Direto XR. I've had for a year and no issues.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:29 PM

If you are an REI member, go NOW to the site and buy either one. Picked up a current lucky for less than a refurb. They carry Neo, too, I think
Old 11-24-2021, 05:04 PM

Rei

The REI member coupon/sale expired on Monday, however the Neo is still on sale at REI.
To throw a wrench in, Saris is offering 20% off the H3 at LBS's for black Friday.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I went through almost the exact same progression: early Kickr to Tacx Neo2, and now back to a 2020 V5 model Kickr.

For me, I think it was maybe the fear of missing out on something great (the road feel on the Neo2) that caused me to switch in the first place? It’s an interesting feature but not really game-changing. The Kickr just feels better overall. YMMV, of course.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:37 AM

Thanks for all the input! Ended up gong with the Kickr v5, the main reason being my local shop happened to be running an early deal on them last night. As mentioned above I did have a little FOMO regarding the "road feel" option the 2T but at the end of the day I probably wouldn't use it other than trying it out. Also heard from a few other folks with experience with them that agreed in saying the virtual fly wheel just felt "different" and not necessarily in a good way.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:09 AM

I turned road feel off on my neo. It was cute once or twice but really was more of a nuisance to me. Congrats on the new trainer.