Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM

I am in the midst of this conundrum right now. I have a 12 year old vamoots sl, with dura ace and chris king, more bike than I deserve or need for both the quanity and type of riding I do, yet I want something new and can only really afford it if I sell. Scared that if I sell, I won't like what I get as much and there will never be a way to replace the moots.

To add to it, the bike, while used when I bought it, was kind of a wedding present.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM

that's a horrible bike. especially if it's a 54. that particular size is known to ride really poorly, and they look awful. i'll gladly take it off your hands to save you future embarrassment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I am in the midst of this conundrum right now. I have a 12 year old vamoots sl, with dura ace and chris king, more bike than I deserve or need for both the quanity and type of riding I do, yet I want something new and can only really afford it if I sell. Scared that if I sell, I won't like what I get as much and there will never be a way to replace the moots.

To add to it, the bike, while used when I bought it, was kind of a wedding present.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that's a horrible bike. especially if it's a 54. that particular size is known to ride really poorly, and they look awful. i'll gladly take it off your hands to save you future embarrassment....
I'll save you from yourself, its a 62.5. As seen here

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158818. Saddle, bar tape, bars, cranks, fork, pedals and skewers changed since pic taken.

Rides amazing for where I like to ride.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:33 PM

I've been thinking about selling my Moots because when I got it I got it in the sort of old school racing philosophy that you buy small and fit it up for racing. It's a very aggressive ride all be it a nice smooth one and it corners like it's on rails. But since I only do like 2 races a year now I'm enjoying my C'Dale Synapse much more as it's bigger and fits more comfortably.

If I was gonna answer in the what would you buy for $6K thread though, it would probably be another Moots, jsut a bigger one.

Anyone want to trade Moots for Moots?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Oh, well most definitely the 62.5's are fine. That's well documented on the internet. I was just concerned for your well being in case it was a 54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I'll save you from yourself, its a 62.5. As seen here

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158818. Saddle, bar tape, bars, cranks, fork, pedals and skewers changed since pic taken.

Rides amazing for where I like to ride.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:45 PM

i've had 2...

first was a vaporware derailleur hanger (or at least, a not easily sourced hanger).

second was bad geometry on a bike that was supposed to be custom and i got tired of telling myself the geo wasn't the problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:49 PM

I had a Merckx Titanium. I had it for years. Great bike but it was really too big for me. I tried different stems but I never really got comfortable on it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong
at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.
anticipatory DIBS on the responsorium (size permitting)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 PM

For me, it was my 1986 De Rosa Professional. I traded the frame and fork for a ~1965 Cinelli Speciale Corsa frame, as discussed in this thread. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=213654 I thought long and hard before doing it, as the De Rosa was and is a great frame, but I have no regrets.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 PM

I bought a Hampsten Cinghale frame and fork at the Seattle bike swap in 2008. I then built it with Campy Chorus from 2000 that came off a Waterford which I sold to help fund a new bike (my Curtlo all rounder.) The Hampsten fit and rode perfect then I sold it to a friend who really liked it. What was I thinking, I wasn't. Thankfully my friend sold it back to me and all is well in the world now.
I have been contemplating something new but I will still keep my Hampsten.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Oddly enough I let go of my Weigle 650b rando, incredibly beautiful and built for me in JPW's special "hot-rod" formula. It was an heirloom quality bike that I waited the better part of a decade for but which my evolving preferences failed to fully appreciate. My wandering eyes found new obsessions, and I seldom regret the choices.

I did however feel differently in selling my pea-sage-green Kirk terraplane all-road bike. This was a bike with incedible mojo that took me everywhere, some memorable days. Parting with it was unimaginable. However, I eventually fixed what had turned out to be a rotten hip and found myself as quite a different and better shape. The Kirk didn't fit the right way anymore, so I sold it here. This bike has since been reincarnated in a new Kirk. Pretty darn close, but I know the difference with my eyes closed. Some times I consider repainting Kirk v2 that same green color but then prefer to let it go.

These days I do buy and sell a bit, and many are remarkable. I am surprised by which ring the best for me. The fancy name or price is only part of the equation. There is more intangible quality at play. Also, I have learned the outlook that there are way more bikes out there that I want to enjoy than I can actually own at any one time. By necessity there is a revolving door for even the best of them.

Instagram
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 PM

I stupidly sold my first custom bike when sponsorship changed a few seasons ago. The new bike was argueably better in every measurable way, but I instantly regretted selling my old ride. My wife even scolded me for selling it. I tried multiple times to get it back from the buyer but no luck. Finally found out it had been totalled in an accident with a car. Rider was OK thankfully but my frame was toast...
Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 PM

A Kelly Bedford custom road.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 AM

When I first got into bike racing in the late 80's, I liked the idea of "bike as a tool". My first real bike was an Atala Columbus SL, and it was my one and only for 7 years. I had a relationship with it, but it was a tool and I used it until it well worn and retired it to a hook in the garage because to repaint and refurbish would have cost $450 and a flashy new Vitus 992 was $750. That Atala still hangs in the garage (if I posted a photo, it would make your eyes hurt).
That was the only bike I've ever felt anything for. Every other bike I've ever owned and sold have gone without a second thought. I think a bad thing about the internet in general is that it makes you want more things and you fail to really appreciate the things you have and get the most out of them.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:05 AM

De Rosa planet... I'm getting old and from one day to another the bicycle felt big. Had to go. Hope the dude who bought it almost for nothing still has it, awesome frame.