Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM

for some reason the Q7 is 2.0 engine with quattro while the atlas with the 2.0 is only fwd. you have to do the v6 to get 4mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It's not on the same platform as the Q7, which truly is a lustworthy sled.

I think the Atlas is roomier than the Q7 and maxed out on options, it comes in right where the Q7 starts. I have no proof of the roominess of the Atlas vs Q7 though. Just my impression.

Frankly, if a large crossover is appealing to anyone, the Atlas isn't half bad. But it's not a Q7, which I believe to be on the same architecture as the next generation VW Touareg (which won't be sold in the US I don't believe) and the next Porsche Cayenne. Those vehicles are really a different conversation. They're much more robust and premium and have massively larger towing capacity.

One thing I liked on the Atlas was the center console touch screen. It looks very nice and is quick.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

We considered the Atlas when we bought a new SUV last month. It was very nice, drove well. I currently have a 2015 VW E-Golf, so I was inclined to go with the Atlas. But we ended up with a Kia Sorento SX with AWD.

Turns out the Atlas was a little "too big" for my wife. She liked the size of the Sorento a bit more. On my end, ended up being happy with the Kia because it was better equipped than the Atlas for many thousands less. The MSRP on the Kia 42.5k, but we negotiated it down to $38.6k at the dealer, then took advantage of Kia Finance cash back incentives to make the effective cost of the vehicle a little over 33k.

Al
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 AM

40+k for a kia!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 AM

not sure of your timeline but you might want to do some research on the forthcoming subaru ascent, a full size suv do out next year. i would also say the the honda pilot would be my choice.

Last edited by alancw3; 11-18-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 AM

No future diesels ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . a diesel model?

BBD
A few months ago, VW and Porsche announced they would not import diesels in the future.

End of an era.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Has anyone here ever purchased a used car online, but sight-unseen?

I am considering buying a used car, then flying to pick it up, take a little vacation with the car, then drive it home.

I supposed I could back out when I see the car, but at that point I am pretty committed.

I admit to being a little hesitant to do this!
I bought my Tundra off eBay--in an auction (before most listings turned into Classifieds) and had it shipped to me.

Like ShovelHD, my experience was a little mixed as well--the truck was low mileage (as stated) but it definitely had been hit in the front end (not disclosed--but fairly minor) and had some damage along the top of the box rails (still don't know how that happened?).

None of these things were deal breakers--it was a truck (and has been used like one) and had been incredibly reliable, and I may have bought it off a lot with similar issues, but the non-disclosure rankled.

If I were to do it again, I would not buy from a small seller as I did (he lasted for about another 5 minutes on the 'Bay until he was bad-repped out of business), and I would only buy from a seller with top ratings with a buyback guarantee.

All that said, newer cars are more like appliances (unlike a vintage car like a 2002), and brand, mileage, and some additional research should let you know if the average car like the one you are considering is a decent buy, and on average you will do OK.

Last edited by paredown; 11-18-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
40+k for a kia!
Yep. That was MSRP, but not what I paid. That being said, the Kia has been the most surprisingly impressive car I've owned in a very long time.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Grand Cherokee offers a diesel, so 30 mpg is possible with a light foot.

I went that route a year ago when going through the mid size SUV options. I went with the Overland model so it's pretty luxurious, up to the point of having a leather covered dash...

I wanted:
  • moderate towing capability (i.e. a motor boat)
  • good mpg (and long range between fill ups, with kind of go together)
  • some off road abilty
  • luxury interior
  • be able to sleep in back in a pinch
  • cold weather comfort
  • good driving manners. It's not a sedan or a sports car, but it's firm enough when turning.

I bought a prior model year off the lot, so there was a big savings off msrp.

It has been good so far, so I'd do the same if I had to do it all over again.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Pretty sweet warranty on Volkswagens now.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:44 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Has anyone here ever purchased a used car online, but sight-unseen?

I am considering buying a used car, then flying to pick it up, take a little vacation with the car, then drive it home.

I supposed I could back out when I see the car, but at that point I am pretty committed.

I admit to being a little hesitant to do this!

Have done this a few times. Older cars in Canada get used up fast. I got the cars shipped to me though.

I bought an Infiniti Q45 from a dealer in the southern US. “Everything works!” Well a few thousand in repairs later that was getting closer to true. Never again. Body and interior condition also much worse than the pix showed.

But I also bought from Japan, an MR2 and a WRX. Totally different story there - their used car auctions have inspection sheets that are scrupulously accurate. Both cars near perfect. You guys can only get from Japan older than 25 years though ...

I think CarFax offers a service where they send a pro to look at the car and send you a full detailed report? That would be very well worth doing.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM

There is a service for inspections. Not sure of cost but you can check reviews.
https://support.wegolook.com/hc/en-us
Old 11-19-2017, 01:52 PM
DELETE ACCNT

wow you scored! 33K on the back of a 42.5list
well done sir!

I'm considering the Stinger GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
We considered the Atlas when we bought a new SUV last month. It was very nice, drove well. I currently have a 2015 VW E-Golf, so I was inclined to go with the Atlas. But we ended up with a Kia Sorento SX with AWD.

Turns out the Atlas was a little "too big" for my wife. She liked the size of the Sorento a bit more. On my end, ended up being happy with the Kia because it was better equipped than the Atlas for many thousands less. The MSRP on the Kia 42.5k, but we negotiated it down to $38.6k at the dealer, then took advantage of Kia Finance cash back incentives to make the effective cost of the vehicle a little over 33k.

Al
Old 11-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
Yep. That was MSRP, but not what I paid. That being said, the Kia has been the most surprisingly impressive car I've owned in a very long time.
I've poo poo-ed Kias since the brand's inception, until I was in the Optima. Very nice, if personality-less car. Fit and finish are really top notch, and it seems to have exactly the option/doo dads you'd want. Just came off of a two week rental in a Kia Sportage. Not my cup of tea, but again, very surprised how nice it actually was.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Thanks. I think I am going to get a 2008 Audi q7 with 109k on it.
Drove well, and it's dirt cheap. MPG sucks is my only issue.

Is that stupid? I like buying cars with 100k on them for cheap, accepting the fact that I will pay for a few repairs or expensive maintenance items, and driving to 200k miles. but the q7?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Thanks. I think I am going to get a 2008 Audi q7 with 109k on it.
Drove well, and it's dirt cheap. MPG sucks is my only issue.

Is that stupid? I like buying cars with 100k on them for cheap, accepting the fact that I will pay for a few repairs or expensive maintenance items, and driving to 200k miles. but the q7?
Depending on the engine, you will have some major services due at 100k.
Suspension components usually will need replacement as the ball joints and/or air suspension give up around this point.

If those costs dont bother you, there usually is not much else that goes wrong besides the usual random things.

Otherwise, you can put the money into a lower mileage one. I guess it depends on what you find acceptable.