Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
My wife, having recently broken her neck and undergone emergency spinal fusion surgery, has been exploring these options rather extensively. As a result of the surgically-implanted hardware and subsequent fusion between C1-C4, she has extremely limited range of motion; it's basically really freakin' hard for her to look over her shoulder...or even 40-50° to either side.
Sorry to hear it. I had a similar incident but lower in the cervical spine, where not as much motion is lost.

She's a courageous woman to continue riding.

Nice when technology (the Varia) really serves us...
Old 07-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think a varia is much better than a mirror and it will look, mmmmmh, less dorky (I am being nice here, yall caught me on a good day)
Well aren’t you Mr edgy cool guy out of the folks spending their tome on internet bicycle forums.

I find the cat ears and bar-end mirror very essential. My wife is open for caring for the kiddos while I ride bikes when she doesn’t need to worry about all of the indecently proposals I used to get from road tripping spring breakers. Plus, they go nicely with my durable hemp knickers.

The Varia does sound like a great tool for safety.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Small ring

I was hit, hard, in my early 30's. I cannot look over my left shoulder, and barely over my right. I use a mirror. If I rode more than around the block these days, I's spring for the whole Garmin setup. I still have a 705
Old 07-06-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Dave do you use a garmin?

the rear facing radar things are pretty amazing in the info that they give you. i dont have one yet, but have seen what they can do and it's pretty cool.

maybe something to think about.
As nice as they are (I have the RTL500 and 510), they're really only supplements, and I primarily use them to alert me to look into my mirror if I haven't looked recently. I never really feel safe unless I've got a good mirror (or two) attached.

I keep one attached to my helmet visor, and on one of my bikes I use one of the older-design italian road mirrors made by Pinin.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I was hit, hard, in my early 30's. I cannot look over my left shoulder, and barely over my right. I use a mirror. If I rode more than around the block these days, I's spring for the whole Garmin setup. I still have a 705
Hah, I've still got one of those in a box that I've been meaning to sell off for the last 3-5 years. Comes with a garmin city navigator SD card (map data is totally and utterly outdated).
Old 07-06-2020, 09:01 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokofoko View Post
Hah, I've still got one of those in a box that I've been meaning to sell off for the last 3-5 years. Comes with a garmin city navigator SD card (map data is totally and utterly outdated).
They work great.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
They work great.
True, but the old nub pointer was so difficult to use, especially while riding! Ahh, the days before they used touchscreens!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Take-A-Look user here, with a stiff neck and limited ability to turn my head and look behind me. Once Sheldon Brown said to me, a mirror is the most important piece of bike safety equipment, more so than a helmet, because while a helmet helps in the event of a crash, the mirror makes the crash less likely to happen.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 PM

I use a Bear Essentials rear view mirror. It uses a spoke wire to fix it to sunglasses. Sunglasses, unlike bar end mirrors don't buzz. A bar end mirror can become unusable on rough roads.
Some of the fastest criterium racers ever use that kind of mirror.
You of course also want a tail lamp bright enough to be seen far away in daylight. You don't know how often they look up at the road while they are driving, so you need to be seen.
Using a radar to make sure you know when a car is overtaking you is also a good idea.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 PM

All dork all the time here, with a slightly steampunk twist. I got one of these for commuting and have come to like it so much, I have one for weekend riding too. Advantages, very stable on helmet, infinitely adjustable, wide view area, easily removed if desired. But definitely dorky. https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...-helmet-mirror
Old 07-06-2020, 10:30 PM

I use a Zefal Spy that I transfer to whichever bike that I'm riding.

I've had a Take A Look for a few years, but I've never quite gotten used to using it. I prefer the bar end mounted mirror.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 AM

I've used the Take-a-Look short version for many years. The optical quality is excellent, as is the field-of-view that you achieve with just a slight rotation of the the head.

An excellent stealth solution is the Cycleaware Viewpoint. This requires dedicated glasses, as the mirror is glued to the inside of your glasses lens. Additionally, the view provided is not corrected by your Rx, which is why I chose the Take-a-Look. (Both mirrors are very inexpensive).

Compared to the bicycle-mounted mirror, I believe the glasses mounted mirror offers better optics, a larger field-of-view (with a slight turn of the head), and faster focal transition from mirror-view to view-ahead.

Hope that helps, Dave.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Well aren’t you Mr edgy cool guy out of the folks spending their tome on internet bicycle forums.

I find the cat ears and bar-end mirror very essential. My wife is open for caring for the kiddos while I ride bikes when she doesn’t need to worry about all of the indecently proposals I used to get from road tripping spring breakers. Plus, they go nicely with my durable hemp knickers.

The Varia does sound like a great tool for safety.
You are right. I am joining the dorks

Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 AM

I think bike mirrors increase safety and I use one.

I did, however, just find this one and laughed out loud.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRXTK5F..._o.gbFbP9W8RTY

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 08:14 AM

It's missing a compass. How can you tell where you are going?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You are right. I am joining the dorks