Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
My nephew and my cousin’s two kids have been diagnosed with Covid this week. The nephew’s Dad is obese in his early 60s, prediabetic, and suffers from high blood pressure. He hung out with him on Sunday. My cousins husband is a golf pro and now has to quarantine during the busiest part of his year. If infected he could lose a month out of the three months he really makes his dough. Wear a mask, social distance, wash hands.
keep it on topic or i'm closing the thread. this has zero to do with the topic of schools, and we're not turning this into the corona thread.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
keep it on topic or i'm closing the thread. this has zero to do with the topic of schools, and we're not turning this into the corona thread.
Understood. It was really cathartic to write this out. We live in a school district with some very wealthy people. What some well to do parents are doing is joining together and hiring private tutors to teach their kids next year. Basically, creating their own private schools.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Understood. It was really cathartic to write this out. We live in a school district with some very wealthy people. What some well to do parents are doing is joining together and hiring private tutors to teach their kids next year. Basically, creating there own private schools.
i'm very sorry to hear that your family has been touched by this. you guys out in CA are in a bad place now, where we were several weeks ago. fortunately NJ is on a steep decline, i sure hope CA can get things in check soon also.

back to school: i guess some private tutors will make some money off this opportunity. i bet some of the homes out that way are large enough to make a decent dedicated schooling space too. our version of school from home consists of the dining room table and our backyard. the one positive note of the pandemic is it has mostly been in favorable weather so at least the kids can get fresh air everyday.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm very sorry to hear that your family has been touched by this. you guys out in CA are in a bad place now, where we were several weeks ago. fortunately NJ is on a steep decline, i sure hope CA can get things in check soon also.

back to school: i guess some private tutors will make some money off this opportunity. i bet some of the homes out that way are large enough to make a decent dedicated schooling space too. our version of school from home consists of the dining room table and our backyard. the one positive note of the pandemic is it has mostly been in favorable weather so at least the kids can get fresh air everyday.
They are all in Texas. The idea is to have the tutor live in the guest house and teach like three kids in the neighborhood. Everyone is tested regularly.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM
#BikeMafia

It’s just not the wealthy that are considering this. I’ve heard this in my circles as getting a handful of students and paying private school monthly tuition should cover a private tutor.

Quote:
Understood. It was really cathartic to write this out. We live in a school district with some very wealthy people. What some well to do parents are doing is joining together and hiring private tutors to teach their kids next year. Basically, creating their own private schools.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM

I am afraid what a lot of people and school districts are forgetting is School Buses. Here in Washington state the schools do plan on reopening similar to what a lot of other states are doing. Such as smaller classes, regular desks, no lunch in a cafeteria. They have also talked about alternating days to help limit how many kids are in each class. The district has also created an online school for the kids. I am a School Bus driver and our district plans on having the kids and driver wear masks and limiting the number of kids on the bus such as every other seat, as well as having windows open for more ventilation. We will sanitize our buses before and after each route, and no more hanging out in the break room. Yes fall is going to interesting to say the least.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:11 PM

I teach high school in NY. Our school has 2500-3000 students. I just don't see how they can make this work, especially when you figure in the kids that will refuse to wear masks for whatever reason - political, stupid teenager, etc.

Adding on to that the hallways - even with alternating days, split schedules, I already see pictures of teenagers hanging out and not social distancing.

Just like everything else in education, it would cost way too much to do it right - testing, social distancing, etc. Most budgets have been cut as it is.

As has been mentioned, many people look at it from a child care perspective instead of a safety issue.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:50 PM

This whole thing is a complete and utter mess. The answers here are indicative of that. One state's policy is completely different from another's, which has been par for the course.

It really sounds as if the needs of kids are going to come in conflict with the health concerns of educators. It's a total Catch-22. I don't really understand the benefit of "two days remote/two days physical presence." How does that deal with the conundrum above? It seems half-assed. Most parents (myself included) are hankering for a sense of normalcy when it comes to scheduling.

I think the AAP guidelines make sense. Conversely, if there's going to be a full-fledged war between children and educators, than perhaps we're better off going totally "remote." The caveat is that not every household has the capability to do that, and those inequities need to be addressed. Otherwise, the Pandemic (if it hasn't already) will exacerbate the gulf in education.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This whole thing is a complete and utter mess. The answers here are indicative of that. One state's policy is completely different from another's, which has been par for the course.

It really sounds as if the needs of kids are going to come in conflict with the health concerns of educators.
Don't forget the health of the parents. From what I know about child psychology and develop having a parent or parents die is not the best thing for a child's development.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-03-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the health of the parents. From what I know about child psychology and develop having a parent or parents die is not the best thing for a child's development.
Depends on the parent.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Just retired last month after 35 years of jr. high and glad I did. We transitioned to on-line learning the last 9 weeks, it was rough for all.
My old school(900 students, south of Houston) is prepping for 3 possibilities:

a regular schedule with as much social distancing as possible, students go straight to class from the bus, eat in the classroom, modified passing period in the hallway but not sure how, no lockers, 25 students per class

alternate day schedule with half the students doing online at home while the other half is at school

100% at home and online

I feel for the teachers. They will have a huge workload increase with multiple lessons going on at home and at school at the same time. Student access to technology is an issue. Even in a suburban district, about 1/3 of my students had technology issues. Special Education students with modified lessons suffered without regular and legally required assistance.

A conspiracy theory guy I occasionally ride with says that one reason for the lack of info is schools are waiting until contract opt out day is past before announcing.

What noone is saying is what will happen when school starts and everyone sends their kids regardless of their health. After 9 weeks, kids with no symptoms will infect half the teachers and then ???

Another important issue is school sports and extra curricular activities.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:38 PM

My wife is a teacher coming off maternity leave and it's a slight nightmare to think about sending our daughter to day care this fall. I really won't do it unless there is a vaccine or until the virus is 100% wiped out. She still doesn't know what's going to happen but I hope schools will make accommodations for parent/teachers.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Depends on the parent.
This comment is uncalled for.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This comment is uncalled for.
yes. thx.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

It really sounds as if the needs of kids are going to come in conflict with the health concerns of educators. It's a total Catch-22. I don't really understand the benefit of "two days remote/two days physical presence." How does that deal with the conundrum above? It seems half-assed. Most parents (myself included) are hankering for a sense of normalcy when it comes to scheduling.

I think the AAP guidelines make sense. Conversely, if there's going to be a full-fledged war between children and educators, than perhaps we're better off going totally "remote." The caveat is that not every household has the capability to do that, and those inequities need to be addressed. Otherwise, the Pandemic (if it hasn't already) will exacerbate the gulf in education.
The two days on / off is for nothing more than :

1. Funding

and a distant #2. reduce the number of bodies on campus at a time.
Closed Thread