Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:24 AM

OT: For the Parents & Educators: What is Happening in the Fall?

I recently saw this article in my feed:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...b6ca9709157324

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has come out strongly in favor of schools having students return to the classroom in the fall, despite the ongoing risks associated with COVID-19.

“The AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school,” the group said in an update to its guidance for school re-entry.

The guidance asserts that “the importance of in-person learning is well-documented,” and that evidence already has emerged of “negative impacts” on children due to school closures in the spring."

I immediately emailed the link to several friends. There is certainly a consensus among the parents I know that getting kids back to an environment surrounded by other children is a necessity. It seemed to be a hopeful bit of clarity.

This opinion, however, is not shared by everyone. One of my closest friends is a teacher. And a really, really good one at that. She is dedicated to her job. She also has an ailing elderly mother who lives in Michigan. In person schooling for her would mean that she would not be able to see her mother for a year. At least. So for her, going back to school physically is not tenable.

And then I read this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/u...rofessors.html

College students are understandably anxious to get back to campus. Their professors may not share that enthusiasm.

Our school district has sent out a few emails outlining a number of different possibilities. Basically, it really sounds like no one has a clue what's going to happen. Do any of the educators on the Forum have any thoughts? Any parents? As a parent, "remote learning" sounds like a really depressing oxymoron. But I'm afraid it might be here to stay for awhile.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 07-03-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Here in NYS there is literally no word. My wife is a teacher and she has been told to prepare for three scenarios which are split schedules, return fully and online. Some data points that everyone should see https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbPgvv2GKMw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 10:05 AM

Montgomery county Maryland is planning a hybrid environment. Probably 3 days in the classroom and two days at home. Or 2 days in the classroom and 3 days at home.

My oldest daughter is supposed to start kindergarten. My wife and I are leaning towards holding her back a year. Her younger sister is 3 so it’s not a stretch for us. I don’t think that what you learn in kindergarten can be achieved online.

I would love to see an official plan but I don’t think that one exists yet. And it really is subject to change anyway.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Right now our city school system draft plan for K thru 6 is option of 4 days in person, 5th day online or 100% online; 7 thru 12 is 2 days/week in person, remainder on line vs 100% on line. School buses will also operate at 50% capacity. My youngster will be a 7th grader, so barring a blow up in the pandemic here (very much possible) we’re leaning toward the in person option. A lot of the learning in school occurs outside the lecture setting.

My oldster is in college in the UC system and they will be on line. I get it but I’m not particularly pleased as all indications are it will still be full tuition.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Here in NYS there is literally no word. My wife is a teacher and she has been told to prepare for three scenarios which are split schedules, return fully and online. Some data points that everyone should see https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbPgvv2GKMw

What the junior Senator from Kentucky omits from his ever-so-insightful analysis is all of those countries are more aggressive and comprehensive with testing and contact tracing. They are light years ahead of us.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:29 AM

UMich is starting in the fall, going straight until Thanksgiving. After thanksgiving break, all classes and finals will be online. Winter break will last until beginning of Feb when students return to campus. No spring break. Large classes will be held online.

There was a opinion piece in the WSJ on June 30 about Cornell's plan to reopen in the fall.

This all seems doable. Sports, however, seem a bridge too far in the fall.

My daughter was able to have a delayed start to her summer internship. Even after a week of going to an office, I see a change in attitude and believe it has been a godsend for her mental health.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 07-03-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Massachusetts is still a bit in flux but the numbers are supposedly some of the best in the US

This is what what we have for guidelines so far but they are a work in progress:
- Everyone masked with periodic “mask breaks”
- No screening at entry
- Individual desks for students
- Class sizes limited by 3 foot social distances
- Meals brought to classroom - no cafeteria
- Separate (from nurse’s office) supervised Covid symptom space for students
who may develop symptoms during the day and need to wait for
parents/guardians
- We don't Know if students will move from classroom to classroom or if teachers
will, or if no one will.
- Learning will be “live”, on line, or a mixture depending on above

Again, things may change as we get closer to opening.

No idea what transportation will look like.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:43 AM

OT: For the Parents & Educators: What is Happening in the Fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
What the junior Senator from Kentucky omits from his ever-so-insightful analysis is all of those countries are more aggressive and comprehensive with testing and contact tracing. They are light years ahead of us.

What are you talking about? I posted a video based on data including those countries. Quit following my every post in order to try and have them shut down. Are you an educator or even have children? Your rhetoric is getting old!

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 07-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
What are you talking about? I posted a video based on data. Quit following my every post in order to try and have them shut down. Are you an educator or even have children? Your rhetoric is getting old! Quit stalking my posts!

And his analysis of said data omits several critical points of context for why those countries are the way they are.

Heaven forbid we discuss on a discussion forum.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:52 AM

Honestly, no one really knows. There are all sorts of plans being put in place on paper, but -- to quote Sun Tzu -- plans seldom survive the first encounter with the enemy.

Teacher here. Our admin is trying to figure out what might work, and we're essentially tasked with double work of needing to have "hybrid" teaching plans in place for both in-person and remote learning. But we won't really know what's going to happen until the middle or August and we see what the numbers are.

The lack of collective action and care for the larger community that leads to the current/resumed uptick in cases doesn't give me a lot of faith.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Honestly, no one really knows. There are all sorts of plans being put in place on paper, but -- to quote Sun Tzu -- plans seldom survive the first encounter with the enemy.

Teacher here. Our admin is trying to figure out what might work, and we're essentially tasked with double work of needing to have "hybrid" teaching plans in place for both in-person and remote learning. But we won't really know what's going to happen until the middle or August and we see what the numbers are.

The lack of collective action and care for the larger community that leads to the current/resumed uptick in cases doesn't give me a lot of faith.
I really appreciate you and Bruce weighing in. The two people on the site I knew were educators and was hoping to get input from.

My teacher friend and I were talking, and she said my daughters and kids their age would be the "COVID Generation." That put the FOG in me. Really depressing. I'd like to get some more of your thoughts (or anyone's)

1)What about recess? "Playing" is a fundamental part of childhood. What's going to happen with that?

2) Is there going to be a possible schism between public and private schools? I have a friend who sends his kids to a private school. He said they largely have a plan in place. The optics of private schools and public schools having two different courses of action won't look good.

3) In addition to being an educator, you're also a parent of young children, I think. (As is Adam's wife) Is there a dichotomy between these two roles in terms of how to safely open?
Old 07-03-2020, 11:28 AM

As far as higher ed goes, too much to say on this. But this is all over publications like the Chronicle of Higher Ed, Inside Higher Ed, etc. Some schools are going completely online with ugrad-Yale, for example "nearly all courses". But places like Yale can do that. At less prestigious places, students will not pay full tuition for all online. There are many pedagogical approaches which blend online and face to face, allowing cohorting of students in a class-essentially halving the f2f contact hours to allow less density and distancing.

QUOTE=XXtwindad;2750897]

And then I read this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/u...rofessors.html

[/QUOTE]

It should be noted that the guy they picture, who "wont set foot on campus" is not a regular paid faculty member. Emeritus faculty are basically retired. It's purely titular. Allows them to keep their email, use the gym, etc. It's misleading to present him as a representative case.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:32 AM

I've got a 6yo and a 7yo. They desparately need the social interaction and in-person learning that comes with school. Their bubble is just too small right now.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
And his analysis of said data omits several critical points of context for why those countries are the way they are.

Heaven forbid we discuss on a discussion forum.

If you watched the video then you would have seen the part where he mentions through CONTACT TRACING, but heaven forbid we discuss that.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:42 AM

We're just not sure how everything is going to work out here in Austin at the moment. My daughter is entering high school and is REALLY looking forward to it. She thrives on social, in-person interaction and wants to play a couple of sports. Austin is currently talking about a hybrid model of online and in-person learning However, we're less than 6 weeks away from the beginning of school and are seeing HUGE spikes in the infection rates. I just don't know how they're going to be able to pull off the in-person/onsite aspect of it. Think about the density levels and lack of potential social distancing in classrooms, cafeterias, and even on buses. Our schools in Austin ISD have been struggling with overcrowding in its current facilities for years. There really isn't any way to accommodate proper social distancing. It'll be interesting to see how this evolves over the next month.
Closed Thread