Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info folks. Think I’ll be going with 12s. COOL!!
Old 09-11-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Can you shift through several cogs at once on 12 like you can on 11? I don't think you can on the Potenza stuff, 11 or 12. The upper lines?
I have Campy 12 Chorus. It shifts through multiple cogs at once. Really nice groupset at a great price.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Yes, chorus 11 and up still shift through several cogs at a time. Not sure about chorus 12, but Record and Super Record can as well.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
SR/Record and Chorus 12s is the same as 11s..Ultrashift-multiple higher gears with one thumb button push..
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
SR/Record and Chorus 12s is the same as 11s..Ultrashift-multiple higher gears with one thumb button push..
And 9 and 10 speed does as well. IIRC 8 spd too.

FWIW 9 speed Mirage dumps gears very nicely.

All this stuff about how much better performing 12 speed will be over 10 speed...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
it didn't show you the 10% off on the top? it does on mine
I bought the 12s Record set from Merlin a couple months ago and got the 10% discount. It came in about a week and it all works fine. I have noticed that Record only is supposed to work with a max 32 tooth rear cog and Chorus 12s offer a 34. Wonder if the Record RD has a slightly shorter cage?

Tim
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I bought the 12s Record set from Merlin a couple months ago and got the 10% discount. It came in about a week and it all works fine. I have noticed that Record only is supposed to work with a max 32 tooth rear cog and Chorus 12s offer a 34. Wonder if the Record RD has a slightly shorter cage?

Tim
It does..the Chorus cage is described as 'medium'...BUT I'm thinking that since Campag specs are conservative, I'll bet SR/Record 12s rear der can handle a 34t..
Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 AM

The chorus cage measures 73mm center to center between the pulleys.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have 11 on all my bikes and its great but if I was to buy something campy right now, and was new I would probably do 12.

My only issue is that I love using shimano cassettes and I would not be able to do that but so is life.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
All this stuff about how much better performing 12 speed will be over 10 speed...
I recently acquired a new frame and equipped it with 12 speed; my other frame has 10 speed. Noticeable differences 12 v 10 are:
- much less effort to shift gears with 12, especially in the front
- ergonomics of 12 are a VAST improvement over 10; I almost have the sensation that the 10 shifters "stick out"
- wider gear range is a huge plus.

I love the 10 speed and the bike it is on, but, for my money, 12 is a huge upgrade. When funds allow, my 10 speed (gruppo) will be retired.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Good to hear all the positive comments on 12s. I have no issue with how my 10s performs but am also looking forward to upgrade at least one bike to what appears will be 12s when i pull the trigger. Probably the new stuff will go on my Peg Duende......
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM
PegoNagos

I love my 10s Record! To me it's the best lever shape - I would love to have 11 or 12 cogs, but the lever shape just doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
And 9 and 10 speed does as well. IIRC 8 spd too.

FWIW 9 speed Mirage dumps gears very nicely.

Sorry to pick this nit.

2007/8 Centaur and below, altho 10s, did not. 9 and 10s Xenon did not. 2011+ 10s(Centaur, Veloce) did not....

Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I love my 10s Record! To me it's the best lever shape - I would love to have 11 or 12 cogs, but the lever shape just doesn't do it for me.
I've got 10spd Campagnolo on several bikes, and 11spd Campagnolo on one bike. Maybe my feelings are based on what I've become used to, but I actually prefer the operation and feel of the 10spd shifters. To be sure, the 11spd performs quite well, it just does it a little differently. To wit:

The 11spd shape has a larger, taller "dome" on the front, with a more gradual ramp between the body and the dome. This decreases the effective reach of the levers, and also means that when I drape the palms of my hands over the domes (dangling my fingers off the front of the levers), it forces me to cock my wrists at a more uncomfortable angle.

Rear shifting is less "snappy" with 11spd levers. On the 10spd levers, you only needed to push the lever a little over half-way to the next index point, and the mechanism "snaps" the index disk the rest of the way. This allows shifts to be done with less lever travel. With the 11spd levers, you have to move the lever all the way to the next index position before it clicks into place. The 10spd levers thus perform faster shifts. (Note: I understand why Campagnolo made this change - the "snappier" 10spd design wears out faster, whereas the slower 11spd design is more durable.)

Shifting to the small chainring can require two lever pushes with the 11spd levers - the first push drops to the derailleur to the "trim" position, and a 2nd push is required to drop the drailleur all the way to the inside position. With 10spd levers, a longer push may be needed to swing the derailleur, but shifting to either chainring can be done with a single push.

Were there an 11spd indexing disk could be retro-fitted to 10spd levers, I would use it.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Agree with the sentiment that it'd be a good thing to have a 48/32 crank, and let's say a 13-30 cassette... with the 10 spd Record lever shape and their nice, firm feeling shift as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sorry to pick this nit.

2007/8 Centaur and below, altho 10s, did not. 9 and 10s Xenon did not. 2011+ 10s(Centaur, Veloce) did not....

And... sorry, OP, I was referring to your prior post about Record and Chorus. Nit picking will get you nowhere.

Although your post reminds me that Campy's 'golden age' may have ended, IMO, around 2008... Luddite that I am.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Although your post reminds me that Campy's 'golden age' may have ended, IMO, around 2008... Luddite that I am.
I don't know about the end of the golden age, but I am in full agreement on the approximate time of the high water mark.