Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Castaway

Question Plus Size Bikes for Heavy Riders - 350lbs?

Hi everyone, I am new in this forum and I just want to ask what is the most suitable bike for an overweight person? I am very overweight and planning to keep fit by riding bikes. I used to ride many years ago but haven't done so for long time. I am very concerned that the bike I buy will break when I sit on it because it cannot hold enough pressure. I know nothing about bikes so I need some advice on what bike would be suitable for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeeandy View Post
Hi everyone, I am new in this forum and I just want to ask what is the most suitable bike for an overweight person? I am very overweight and planning to keep fit by riding bikes. I used to ride many years ago but haven't done so for long time. I am very concerned that the bike I buy will break when I sit on it because it cannot hold enough pressure. I know nothing about bikes so I need some advice on what bike would be suitable for me.

Thanks in advance.
You can read this and maybe contact Lennard Zinn....

lennard@zinncycles.com

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/bik...-riders_500561

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-12-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You can read this and maybe contact Lennard Zinn....

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/bik...-riders_500561
Sure I'll read this. Thanks. Is there anyone here on this forum you know that is overweight like me?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Riding Along

You may want to start out a mountain bike with no rear suspension. You can put on slick tires and ride on the road. This will be comfortable and can handle your weight. As you loose weight and get fit you can transition to a regular road bike. 250 pounds will not be an issue for a standard road bike. I really wish you all the best doing this. Don't give up. It will not be easy but it will be worth it.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
You may want to start out a mountain bike with no rear suspension. You can put on slick tires and ride on the road. This will be comfortable and can handle your weight. As you loose weight and get fit you can transition to a regular road bike. 250 pounds will not be an issue for a standard road bike. I really wish you all the best doing this. Don't give up. It will not be easy but it will be worth it.
Thank you for the support. I appreciate it. How about bicycle brand? I'm from Philippines, I would be grateful if you recommend a brand available just around here.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM

I just want to say that I'm a sucker about stories about overweight people who change their lives by using a bicycle as a medium to lose weight. Start with small, realistic goals and go from there.

I agree that a mt bike might be the best way to start. Any bike will do.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeeandy View Post
Thank you for the support. I appreciate it. How about bicycle brand? I'm from Philippines, I would be grateful if you recommend a brand available just around here.
Most any generic MTB would work, as long as it's the right size for you.

You don't have to worry much about the brand.

Good Luck
Old 10-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Princess Sweat

zize bikes
worksman bikes

I believe these are available through Amazon.

Philippines local . . . Sandugo Brusko.

Otherwise Giant, Specialized, Trek, Merida are common brands and have good reputations.

A MTB bike or what's called a Fat Bik (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B509/ ) might be the way to go if you can't find a bike that's specifically made for someone in your weight range.

Find a comfy saddle + be aware that you might have to replace components more frequently until your weight drops
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Check the used bike market for solid fork hardtail mtb. I checked Craigslist/Philippines and found nothing but there may a similar, more popular site. You can pick up brand name little used, late 90's or early 00's, mtb for 100-150 USD in my area.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:47 AM

yep. Leonard Zinn for oversize guys. great handlebars like 50cm andd cranks. also complete bikes. contact him for your needs.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Surly bikes makes very overbuilt bikes that would be a great starting point for you IMO. I’d take a look at what they have and be honest with yourself as to the type of riding you want to do and go from there.
If you want drop bars, their Disc Trucker would be a solid value and tough as nails. They also have some beefy flat bar options.

Buying local from a shop that will provide service is also a smart play as you potentially will need the wheels trued up, etc.

Welcome back and good luck!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM

I recommend a recumbent bike. 350lbs is too much pressure on your groin region considering your decreased flexibility would not allow you to bend forward.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
Surly bikes makes very overbuilt bikes that would be a great starting point for you IMO. I’d take a look at what they have and be honest with yourself as to the type of riding you want to do and go from there.
If you want drop bars, their Disc Trucker would be a solid value and tough as nails.
This.

I lost a lot of weight and had a Surly crosscheck and a Salsa Casseroll. Don't be hesitant about drop bars. The Surly disc trucker is a good choice or the straggler or cross check. I'd also look at the Salsa Vaya or Fargo. All those bikes are distributed by QPB and your local bike shop can probably get them.

Ride and then keep riding. It will be hard and it will stay hard but it's absolutely worth it.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Good luck on your quest! My main riding buddy apparently weighed 350 lbs at one point before I knew him. He now weighs about 185lbs or so and is a total beast mtb rider - strongest of all of us!

He just changed his lifestyle choices - ate less junk / ate less per sitting and his mantra is to exercise every single day. Where his work buddies shoot the breeze over a coffee, he says he just puts on running shoes and does a 2km walk with some music on. He’s an inspiration!

As for a bike, a decent hardtail MTB with no suspension and a comfortable saddle will go a long way.

Last edited by d_douglas; 10-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:41 PM

I resemble your story

Welcome to the Forum! A year ago I maxed out at 358 lbs distributed over a 6'4" frame. I'm currently at 230 and slowly decreasing towards an original goal weight of 220 (100 kilos).
More out of necessity I started my cycling-weight loss journey on a 2012 Giant Defy Advanced carbon roadbike. I was hesitant to ride a carbon frame at first, however through online research I found a consensus that one of the key elements to riding while heavy is a great quality wheel set.
I had a pair of HED Belgium 36 spoke rims available and had them built up with DT Swiss spokes connected to White Industries Hubs. The roads in Southern Utah are, for the most part, pretty smooth and I managed to do most of my riding without hitting too many pot holes. I've had the HED's inspected for any cracks or out of round and they continue to pass my LBS Tech's inspection.
A mountain bike is a great suggestion and you can transition onto a road or gravel bike at your convenience. I don't feel qualified to offer much more advice than to share that the 36 spoke wheel set served me well in my riding. Good luck in your quest, I wish you all the best in safe riding and results.

Tags
bike, fat