Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Gravel racer build ideas

I am beginning design work on a wooden gravel/cx/road plus frame that I’d like to build and have ready for next year’s rides and races. I’m putting it out there for the forum for input on design considerations:
What would you build into a frame meant for gravel races of varying length and terrain?
I’m looking for ideas on everything from fork choice, angles, bottom bracket standards, (threaded, I know) to seatpost diameter to attachment points.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 10:13 PM

If you happen to be an industrial design student, I'm questioning why you're choosing wood over a proven material like steel, which is easily sourced, shapeable, and repairable.

Material choice aside, stick with standards from the early 2000s, which Black Mountain Cycles has done with great success. A 44mm headtube would be the one exception as it opens up other options.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Low BB, I love my bike with a drop of 80-82mm. If you’re on big tires it really helps.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 PM

if you're trying to build your first bike, why try to reinvent the bike, start with your bike and modify it for gravel.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
If you happen to be an industrial design student, I'm questioning why you're choosing wood over a proven material like steel, which is easily sourced, shapeable, and repairable.

I’m curious as to why you think steel is more easily sourced, shapable, or repairable than wood. Wood happens to be my medium, and I’m interested in building in a way that I have faith I can control the build without worrying about my skill with the material.
But also, I’m interested in normalizing a material that is much more sustainable in the high-consumption world of cycling. Steel is real, no doubt. But wood requires relatively little industrial prep work (no mining, shipping, smelting, shipping, forming, shipping...) if it is procured from a local mill, and is an incredibly versatile material.
Also, I think it’s cool, and isn’t that what it’s all about?

Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
if you're trying to build your first bike, why try to reinvent the bike, start with your bike and modify it for gravel.

I will certainly do that for contact points and such. But, insight is welcome. Should I increase the seat tube and run a dropper post route? Should I have extra top tube bag mounts? How important is dropout adjustability? I appreciate Andy Sti talking bb drop since I ride a cross bike.
I enjoy the design process, and I trust the peeps on this forum to have some familiarity with current trends and technology that I don’t have. And I always have my own bike to fall back on.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:18 AM
ergottWheels

Have you built any frames before that you could share some pics?

Specs will depend on what you consider a gravel racer. I prefer geometry that's as close to a traditional road bike with the addition of clearance for 650X42 or maybe 48mm tires. I don't want 700X42 or similar as that will push out the rear stays. I do like the third bottle mount under the ST because I put my tools there keeping the seatpost clear and also lower CoG. Definitely disc brakes for 42-48mm tires. Other add-ons depend on what you want the bike to carry. If you want front racks then consider a low trail front end.

You might have a completely different est of needs for a gravel bike than I do.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:22 AM
ergottWheels

I don't think dropout adjustability matters at all, but again that's me.

Running a dropper is in direct opposition with running a bunch of bags on the bike for trekking. I'd run a dropper if you plan on getting rad riding mtb trails with the bike. Otherwise you're adding stuff for no good reason.

Again, you have to figure out what you require from the bike first. Gravel bike means a lot of different things to different riders.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM

The whole wood bike topic got me to thinking about Renovo. They had a showroom up here in Sausalito that I rode by everyday. The frames looked cool, but I never had the chance to demo one.

out-of-cash-and-employees-renovo-calls-it-quits
Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 PM

For process of building a wooden bike there are a few interesting threads on mtbr in the frame building section.

If I was designing or looking for a gravel bike, I'd be looking to modular design to try and future proof things (ie drop out standards, head tube inserts), rack and fender mounts and tire clearance. Geometry - a little slacker than my road bike.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengage View Post
What would you build into a frame meant for gravel races of varying length and terrain?
I think it's really important to figure out where you're going to be riding this most of the time and what type of terrain that is. NorCal gravel is way different than SoCal gravel. Those are both different than NoCoast gravel.

When I designed my bike I opted for something that has a slacker HTA and longer F/C. Contact points remained almost the same. I just adjusted my stack and stem length to keep me there. . . . because I knew where I was going to ride. I think I'd want something different if I lived in NorCal or on the east coast.

If you're going to do a CF fork use a head tube that will accept 1.125 - 1.5" tapered steerers.

Depending on where you ride BB height (not drop) should remain the same or go up a wee bit (pedal strike). That means that BB drop probably increases from ~70 to ~80mm.

If you're doing longer rides consider adding a 3rd and 4th set of bottle bosses for top tube mounted bags and 3rd water bottles.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:35 PM

This guy built a really cool MT Bike using wood .......

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...460&hilit=wood