Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 AM

comparing carbon semi aero bars advise

I'm in the process of fitting a new bike and looking into switching out the bars. Currently I have Thomson Carbon road which are a good fit but the classic drop puts Di2 shift buttons a tad farther out than i'd like. To reiterate, the reach of 78.5 works it's just the curve of the drop.

Criteria for new bars:
Carbon
Stiff
vibration dampening
<80mm reach
<130 drop
internal cable routing and Di2
flatish but not wide tops
space for bartop remote shifter
I like ergo but not a deal killer if the shape puts me close to the shifter in the drops

Ive narrowed down my 3 choices and wondered if anyone has user feedback on anyof these or have another suggestion.

3T Superergo (I had aeronovas once - noodles are these stiff?)
Ritchey WCS carbon streem II ( sizing is confusing)
Vision 4d (FSA) (FSA- quality/durability concerns)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

I'd suggest an enve compact bar.

Reach = 79mm
Drop = 127mm

The new ones are Di2 compatible

I have 2 older ones (one regular drop, one compact - neither Di2 ready) and they are plenty stiffy enough for my 200 lbs and are easy to set up to get a nice transition from the bar to the hoods.

In terms of vibration dampening - I prefer thick bar tape so I expect it does more to smooth the ride out than the bar.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
I'm in the process of fitting a new bike and looking into switching out the bars. Currently I have Thomson Carbon road which are a good fit but the classic drop puts Di2 shift buttons a tad farther out than i'd like. To reiterate, the reach of 78.5 works it's just the curve of the drop.

Criteria for new bars:
Carbon
Stiff
vibration dampening
<80mm reach
<130 drop
I like ergo but not a deal killer if the shape puts me close to the shifter in the drops

Ive narrowed down my 3 choices and wondered if anyone has user feedback on anyof these or have another suggestion.

I've not used the FSA 4D bars personally but have put them on many bikes. They are really nice. Great shape. But the tops are way too flat for my comfort. You can't roll your hands on the tops. Keeps your wrists too bent.

I am using a pair of FSA K-Force Compact on a bike right now. I really like them. And personally, I am not worried about the quality/durability of them. I have heard of issues with the cranks- pedal spindle inserts, ISIS inserts. Which everyone has had issues with. But never issues with bars.

The Ritchey's, I don't like the tops. They are too flat also. IMO of course. Nice bar. But it's like the PRO Stealth bar. Too flat on top.

The 3TTT is nice. I don't know tho. Just not super into 3TTT anymore. That's all I used to use when they did things like the 220's and stuff in alloy. Just not super into their carbon stuff now. Don't know why. I've done builds with them, just not me personally.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Criteria for new bars:
Carbon
Stiff
vibration dampening
<80mm reach
<130 drop

when your hands are in the drops or on the hoods?

I went with classic round bars, b/c I can position my hands closer to the shifter when in the drops. This wasn't as big of an issue with Shimano mechanical, but it did become an issue with Sram mechanical (due to the shorter lever blades). As the Di2 buttons don't extend all the way down the shifter blade, I'd think that classic rounds might actually help with reach, if we are talking about reach in the drops

Also, shifter reach should be adjustable, on at least some Di2 shifters

I personally like Carbon StreemII (speaking as a fan of classic round bars)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Pro Vibe Aero

Pro Vibe Aero or super light version.

Shape is terrific, all internal, weight is low on super light, aero wing is not too deep.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:55 AM

yeah, in the drops. the curve of the classic drop puts my hands comfortably at a 4-5 o'clock position (does that make sense?) and to get my index finger to the gearing down button (most forward) I have to adjust my hand position. It could be that ergo drops have corrupted my positioning in the drops lol
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
yeah, in the drops. the curve of the classic drop puts my hands comfortably at a 4-5 o'clock position (does that make sense?) and to get my index finger to the gearing down button (most forward) I have to adjust my hand position. It could be that ergo drops have corrupted my positioning in the drops lol
Yep, makes total sense.

The following website has a good section on adjusting reach on Shimano levers. I'd try that out first before buying a new bar

https://totalwomenscycling.com/road-...rs-small-hands

It's probably just me, but I find that with most ergo or compact bars, the drops sweep back a bit too prompt from the top, so that when my hands were at the 4-5 o'clock position, they'd be too far from the levers. I had a Ritchey WCS alloy bar, and I had to mount my shifters extraordinarily high in order to grab the shifter blades in the drops. With classic rounds, when the shifters are mounted at the 1-2 o'clock position, it essentially brings the shifter blades back toward the drops.

So I guess your shifter mounting position could also be adjusted. FWIW, this is what it looks like on my bike (with 8050 shifters and Zipp Vuka Sprint classic bars). I can reach the buttons with my hands at the 4-5 o'clock position, but if my hands are where the drops flatten out (toward the end of the bar), then I can't reach the shifter.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM

thanks. I have the same 8050. I glanced at the linked article. Does the same info apply to Di2?
I really dont need to move it much but I like where the hoods live - no wrist bend.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM

looking at them in this pic it looks like lever placement could come down tad but it could also bee the photo angle they feel right where they are but I'll check it again when I get home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_175330.jpg (156.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
thanks. I have the same 8050. I glanced at the linked article. Does the same info apply to Di2?
I really dont need to move it much but I like where the hoods live - no wrist bend.
yes, there's a section on Di2 (together with other 11 speed Shimano shifters)

also, you bar is not a classic round bend. It's more of an ergo (kinda like the bars Cancellara used in 2010, see below), though it is curved, as opposed to segmented (as found on the old Ritchey WCS Logic bars). I can see why you are having issues with your hands at the 4-5 o'clock position, as the drop has already swept back a bit, leaving the shifter blades a bit too far. Adjusting shifter reach should help with this a bit.

If you want a new bar, i'd go with something that's shallow (to keep most of the bends close to the shifter) or classic round (like the one I have, or the one on the WCS Streem II). The Bontrager Aero road bar could also be a good option. It's one that i'm looking at for my travel/gravel bike

edit: also this article illuminates some of the bike fitting conundrums, in particular the one the OP is experiencing re: too much separation btwn bar and shifter when using an ergo styled bar

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/09/how-...ps-guidelines/

Caption reads: Shallow-drop bars with pronounced ergonomic bends present an interesting conundrum. If the bars are rotated such that the lower edge is close to level, and then the levers brought up to yield the preferred 5° upward angle, the brake levers end up being very far away from the riders’ fingers when their hands are on the drops. So is this setup “wrong”? That’s debatable.

Last edited by echappist; 10-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM

all super helpful - thank you.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Deda SuperZero bars are really nice......

Reach: 75mm
Drop: 130mm

Last edited by KarlC; 10-09-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM

great recommendation, thanks!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I switched from FSA K-wing to the Carbon Streem II and have not regretted it.

The Ritchey is measured c-c at the hoods and has a slight flare at the bar ends of 0.5cm.

I find the flat tops (4cm) very comfortable.

I just so happen to have a new 42cm for sale. PM me if interested.

~BR
Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 PM
v a n i l l a

If the top of the streem bar is too flat, look at the evolution curve. really nice ovalized section in the tops, flat transition to the hoods and nice curve for the drops.