Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM

The 80-20 approach advocate by Seiler et al works, but the deal is that the 20 has to be super hard, and the 80 at a real endurance pace.
I agree it works for aging folks. It also works for pros, but the difference is what their 80 is...its like 5-6hr rides at low tempo. Unsustainable for mortals.

I dug a deep hole at 58 trying to be 40. 80 20 has been my comeback ritual. Still not there, but I feel like a cyclist again, so long as I don't track my ftp.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM

That 80 / 20 approach sounds a lot like what Friel advocates in his book, and I think that it works. I base this upon my own experience and that of a number of guys that I ride with who are over 50 (many of whom are still fast into their 70's).

It sounds like the polarized model of training, and one of the key researchers in the area is Stephen Seiler. There is a VeloNews podcast with him (several, actually) that are worth a listen. Here's the description and the link. See Fasttalk episodes 51, 54 and 75.

Good luck.

High intensity training with Dr. Stephen Seiler. Chris Case / May 31, 2019. In episode 75, we discuss high intensity training within the polarized model, with one of the most influential researchers working today, Dr. Stephen Seiler.

https://www.velonews.com/?s=seiler
Old 10-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
All I know is *some* kind of schedule is better than *no* schedule. All I'd say to the OP is 'try it and see'

M
Not necessarily. A time crunched 35 y/o will need a much different schedule than a time crunched 60 y/o
Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM

I have a copy of Fast after 50 in excellent condition if anyone is interested?!! PM me and we can work out a deal!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
Hey All,

Goal - to be able to go on group or solo rides where the average pace is between 20 and 25 miles an hour for 1-3 hours. Looking to get stronger.
I have no training advice, but your goal seems somewhat unrealistic to me. The average speed of the last Tour was about 25 miles per hour.

When I freed myself from feeling I had to compete on my rides, and put my bike computer in the drawer, it opened up many possibilities and pleasures (and more time and flexibility for family and other pursuits). Just my .02.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
I have no training advice, but your goal seems somewhat unrealistic to me. The average speed of the last Tour was about 25 miles per hour.

When I freed myself from feeling I had to compete on my rides, and put my bike computer in the drawer, it opened up many possibilities and pleasures (and more time and flexibility for family and other pursuits). Just my .02.
to be fair, 20-25 mph spans a large range. So large as to be meaningless

In my cat-3 racing days, the winning moves averaged ~23 mph over hilly terrain for 2-3 hours. Then again 25 mph is doable on flat grounds for group rides. 20 mph on 9W (main cycling road outside of NYC) would actually be a relatively tall order.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Thank You Paceline!!

Hey All,
Truly all of your input is appreciated!

Again and again the following advice was given"

-Be realistic with goal setting
-Use strength training to supplement workouts
-Get a coach familiar with riders my age and ability
-Get extra rest
-Be Flexible (this was the most common advice!)
-Eat well
-Focus on quality workouts and effective time management

Not that I'm cheating, but the bike I bought puts you in a time-trial position, and along with aero wheelset with low rolling resistance, having a goal of at least 20 miles an hour for an hour is attainable. Next year attainable, but attainable. Thanks folks, glad you guys are in my "Paceline"! Sorry for cheesy pun. Cheers

An if you see a guy on a purple bike weezing along 9W or around Central Park, say hi!

Last edited by 19wisconsin64; 10-10-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 PM

Don't get a coach.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Training is for when you're going to pin on a number.

Go ride, have fun. Fast group rides? Find a group you can hang with - on road and at the cafe.

A 12-15 hour a week training schedule is about max for a thirty-something doing a full time job. Consider how that works with your age and lifestyle.

Riding is fun. Racing is fun. Training just can't be fun. Don't do it to yourself unless you must.

Channeling my Jobst influence here.

Will do a big post on readjusting my own cycling life and priorities after I finish this damn Senior Games thing I committed to.

Wanna buy a PowerTap G3 wheel?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
Hey
Not that I'm cheating, but the bike I bought puts you in a time-trial position ...
I have no experience, but have assumed that riding in a time-trial position might reduce one's ability to respond to a potential danger - a pothole, a vehicle, deer (I see them almost every time I go out to ride; a few time I had to brake hard to avoid them), etc. If you ride on the road, be careful.

Other things to think about are that our reflexes get slower with age, and, at least in my case, ability to see well in low light deteriorated.