Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 AM

OT: 2015 VW Sportwagen Recall

The official vehicle of cyclists everywhere is being recalled? Again? Has anyone seen this:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recals?nhtsald=19V679
Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Here's the relevant info.... seems like it wont affect many cars.

Quote:
Vehicle 9 : 2015-2015 Volkswagen de Mexico GOLF SPORTWAGEN
Vehicle Type :
Body Style :
Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : Recalled vehicles are vehicles with special internal manufacturing codes identifying
the vehicles as vehicles built before the start of series production (“pre-series
vehicles”). Volkswagen has discovered that the pre-series vehicles were sold without
confirmation that they were built to Volkswagen’s series production standards and
applicable regulatory requirements, and that documentation about their build status
may be incomplete or could not be verified. The recalled vehicles differ from nonrecalled vehicles in that they may contain non-standard components and/or the
actual build status of the recalled population was not properly documented within
each Volkswagen IT system.
GOLF SPORTWAGEN Count: 1
Production Dates : OCT 23, 2014 - OCT 23, 2014
VIN Range 1 : Begin : 3VWRA7AU6FM500116 End : 3VWRA7AU6FM500116 Not sequential
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 PM

A real shame. I Went through 3 2013's (all NEW) because of moonroof issues - was such a great car when it was dry inside.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassette View Post
A real shame. I Went through 3 2013's (all NEW) because of moonroof issues - was such a great car when it was dry inside.
I bought a 2015 TDI S with no luxurious options like the Panoramic sunroof. I did the paperwork for a TSI with Sunroof and was at the bank getting the check. The VW dealer called me when I was at the bank and said "We can't sell you the car because the sunroof is leaking!" This was in LA in February when we had the longest rain storm in some years... The wagon sat outside and got hammered with rain for 2-4 weeks.. My gut told me to go with the TDI S model without The sound system and sunroof, but I went with the TSI SE loaded and luckily the dealership called me about the sunroof while I was at the bank..

So now I'm driving my TDI S without any issues and getting 500+/mi tank in the city.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Sunroof / Moonroof is a rarely-used option that will never be found on vehicles I own.
It weighs more, reduces performance, reduces integrity, and is a potential problem.
If a vehicle can be purchased with a sunroof-delete option you should do yourself a favor.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM

I've been looking at 2012-13 TDI's and I'm blown away at how inexpensive they are. Has anyone here purchased a certified used TDI with the fix? Would it be stupid to look for TDI's at auction? A friend told me there's thousands of these vehicles out there that VW is trickling back onto lots to get rid of them. Anyone have any insight?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I've been looking at 2012-13 TDI's and I'm blown away at how inexpensive they are. Has anyone here purchased a certified used TDI with the fix? Would it be stupid to look for TDI's at auction? A friend told me there's thousands of these vehicles out there that VW is trickling back onto lots to get rid of them. Anyone have any insight?
No insight, but while car shopping with my wife recently our local dealer had four TDI wagons (two Jettas). When we went back a couple weeks later they had three, only one of the original four. All were CPO. There're definitely out there, are cheap and, around here, in pretty high demand.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Sunroof/pano is fine as long as the drain tubes are kept clear. Same issue as on MkIV Golf/GTI, one of which I owned for 7 years.

There's a dealer procedure for this, or you can run a new Shimano shift cable down the drain tubes every once in a while to keep them open. It's especially a problem if you live in a high pollen area (we do) and park under trees (we no longer do).
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
My TDI S sportswagen is a CPO (Fixed) vehicle. Running like a champ. These cars are no brainers if you're looking for a cheap daily drive car.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 PM
bykhed

Quote:
I purchased a CPO 2014 6-speed Sportwagen at the start of March, and I just passed 20,000 miles of ownership.

I went with a 2014 because it had a back up camera and stock heated seats. Once you went to 2015, the base S doesn't have heated seats. I didn't want a sunroof of the SE or SELs.

My hand calc'd tanks have all been 40-42. This is almost exclusively highway with some errand running around town thrown in.

At my first 10k service/oil change, an oxygen sensor needed replacing.

For my second (upcoming) service, something will also need replacing as the check engine light has been on for the better part of 8,000 miles.

Overall, it really hasn't been much different than my pre-dieselgate ownership of a 2012. It's a pretty nice 40mpg + wagon.

Last edited by YoKev; 10-10-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Loved our '12 TDI Sportwagon, but took the buyback @90k and spent it on a '14 Acura ILX @5k without adding a penny of our own money.

If I still had it, it would be running a Malone tune.

Had the pano roof, trouble free for 4 years.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I own a 15' (normal Golf not Sportwagen) that I bought new right after the fix got approved in 17' after VW was allowed to sell the new ones that were on the lots during dieselgate. Having owned a few tdi's the fix really dumbed down the car. It's slow and not as efficient. A tune would fix this but my warranty is insane, they gave the 15's a crazy warranty that I can't justify voiding. Still a very good car all and all. The certified ones are very good for what they are. I would advise towards buying one CPO if you do go that route, the pre-15 (mk6) are known for HPFP failures it's definitely something that'd be nice to be covered the first 2 years of ownership in case it happens.

I'm on a few tdi forums and the guys 'in the know' say that inventory is slowing down at the auctions and they see the ones the dealerships are getting drying up in the next 6 months or so. They've been selling like hotcakes since VW let them free this year. By far the best buys out there by miles for what you are getting.

If I had any want/need I'd strongly consider an Audi Q7 or A6 TDI with the 3.0. The prices on them are insane for what they retailed for and the 3.0 is a great motor plus you get awd. I'm not sure what the warranty on the Audi CPO dieselgate cars are but they are the best buys of all the TDI's. My parents own an Audi Q5 TDI and it's super.

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 10-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Here's the relevant info.... seems like it wont affect many cars.
This just strikes me as lazy process controls and poor manufacturing plant leadership. I worked for years at an auto manufacturing company doing production planning. Cars are either sellable units that have passed thru all required process and QC checks or they are not sellable units. This is why I'll never buy a german car. Too much "craftsmanship" in the manufacturing process - I call it tribal knowledge. The wrong guy takes one of the many vacation days the works council negotiated for him on the wrong day and this happens.

How in heavens name did it take them 5 years to figure it out? Even if these escaped the plant they should have been caught before being wholesaled or worse yet sold to a retail customer!
Seven Elium
Kirk Tandem