Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM

I recommend some heavy Googling about the ignition switch if you're looking at a C5. I don't remember the details now, but when I was considering the car 10 years ago (never got one) there was a lot of noise on forums about it being a problem that was tough to solve.

Personally I would try to get a C6, it's a much more modern sports car with a decent interior compared to the previous generation.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Read the threads on Grassroots Motorsports:

https://www.google.com/search?q=c5+c...w=1006&bih=807
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM

The right answer, as others have mentioned, is of course Miata.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM

If you're at all tall and think you might use it for it's intended purpose make sure you sit in it with a helmet on before buying!!!! Didn't think about that before.

I'm only 6'1", and I have owned and sat in numerous cars where the helmet was a no go with the stock seat. I don't remember feeling like the ceiling height was an issue when I drove a C5 but I definitely didn't have a helmet on.

Back when I did autocross I also noticed the guys in the C5s spinning off the course > 50% of the runs. But then they were never owned by the really crazy high skill drivers either. Not really what the car is intended for since Chevy is always chasing after super high speed in a straight line.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I recommend some heavy Googling about the ignition switch if you're looking at a C5. I don't remember the details now, but when I was considering the car 10 years ago (never got one) there was a lot of noise on forums about it being a problem that was tough to solve.

Personally I would try to get a C6, it's a much more modern sports car with a decent interior compared to the previous generation.
I'm a fan of the hide-away headlights of the C5 and earlier. Currently looking at a '96 & '97, both with about 58k miles and cherry in and out. Around $13k each. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Mario Cippolini would not approve of all this talk about Miata when asked about Corvette.

At the track I go to Miatas drive a lot of the Corvettes crazy - a great driver can fly around the track in a Miata.

Jeff
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
my two corvettes:
Congratulations! In three pages of Corvette owners, you may be the only actual Corvette owner here! That convertible is a beaut. ~'67?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
You might want to get a quote from your insurance company before you buy one. Some charge a lot for these cars and they may only pay off losses based on a book value that may be shockingly low. It might be wise to check with specialty insurers like Haggerty for an agreed-value/mileage policy if this will be a hobby/collector car for you.

Ironically some of the nicest low mile examples may be found in the snow belt where they were stored for winters.
As another Data point I'll say that insurance for my Vette really wasn't bad at all. No real difference over any other vehicle on the policy. Of course I am over 50 and have a super clean driving record.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
At the track I go to Miatas drive a lot of the Corvettes crazy - a great driver can fly around the track in a Miata.

Jeff
Yep, this does seem to be true. I've autocrossed in the past and have gone through a lot of sports cars over the years. I've also been through a weeks worth of high speed driving at Summit Point race track. I tend to drive fast going by how the car "feels" to me. I tune into the feedback from the car. My C5 really was numb, I couldn't "feel it" under me and that really took away from the driving experience in my book.

For me my purest cars over the years for giving me feedback were:

1. 2007 Miata
2. Early 70's modified BMW 2002 ti
3. E46 BMW 330ci ZHP
4. 1997 Dodge Neon ACR

The fastest would be the C5 Z06 for sure. My second fastest was a highly modified 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T but talk about a car being a handling mess, LOL!

I did one trip with the Vette through the backroads and mountains of southern ID to my home in northern UT where the car did seem to come into it's own. Maybe it's more grand tourer than sports car in my book.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
As I recall you are a tall guy - I'd be sure you fit in the Vette you are interested in.

I've driven a lot of different Vettes and I've never fit in them properly mostly due to head room. So be sure you try them on for fit before you get too far in the shopping process only to be disappointed when the time comes.

dave
One of my dream cars was a lotus exige. My buddy bought one and wanted to let me drive it, but no way I can fit in one of those. I tried and got in there but not comfortably.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
i owned a 'vette back in the day and i must say i find all this high performance talk baffling. mine was a painfully slow piece of crap...

This brings back a funny memory. Preface: I always thought the posted speed limits for clover-leaf exit ramps were unreasonably low because I could always take them at last 15-20 mph faster than posted in my VW Scirocco (upgraded with Koni racing suspension). I was driving a Chevette that belonged to my boss. I took an exit ramp that was marked at 25mph. Even at 20mph, the Chevette's tires were howling bloody murder, and the car struggled to stay on the road.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
One of my dream cars was a lotus exige. My buddy bought one and wanted to let me drive it, but no way I can fit in one of those. I tried and got in there but not comfortably.
Interestingly I'm 6'4" and owned an Elise for a good while and raced it constantly. I could just barely fit in it with a helmet on but I couldn't even come close to fitting in a modern Vette with a helmet.

That tiny car fit me but the big one didn't.....and the little car was quicker too. A win-win.

dave
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM

It's probably a good thing there's a Miata thread now. The OP isn't looking for a Miata, people!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Short track autocross, yes. Of course, and obviously.

Long course like Laguna Seca, no. Of course, and obviously.

The gap might narrow if the driver is really good and the course is somewhat in the middle of those two spectrums.

They're entirely different tools. Each are fun in their own way, one is not better than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

Jeff
Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If you're at all tall and think you might use it for it's intended purpose make sure you sit in it with a helmet on before buying!!!! Didn't think about that before.

I'm only 6'1", and I have owned and sat in numerous cars where the helmet was a no go with the stock seat. I don't remember feeling like the ceiling height was an issue when I drove a C5 but I definitely didn't have a helmet on.

Back when I did autocross I also noticed the guys in the C5s spinning off the course > 50% of the runs. But then they were never owned by the really crazy high skill drivers either. Not really what the car is intended for since Chevy is always chasing after super high speed in a straight line.
That is the main reason I sought out an E46 M3 with sunroof delete. I'm a tall guy and there's no way I'd be getting into a sunroof car with a helmet.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI