Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I have a '94 Miata that I use for track and autocross (although less frequently since having kids) and over the years I've spent plenty of time ripping around the foothills west of Denver in my stepdad's C5 and then his C6 (base models). He also owned a Miata first, in an attempt to scratch the sporty car itch, but he's a larger dude and the 'vettes accommodate him better, plus the Miata is even further neutered when it's a mile above sea level. For me at 170 lbs the Miata fits like a glove whereas the 'vettes fit slightly loose, like sleeve of wizard.
might want to rephrase that...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20of%20Wizard
Old 01-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I just know I'll be back in another one despite not needing a 3rd car. They are just such a joy to drive and the call is too strong to resist.
I know that feeling....hence why I have a Miata as an unneeded 3rd car. I sold my first Miata and regretted it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
When I used to drive track days, er...driver educations with the Porsche Club, I noticed that many of the cars that spun happened to be Corvettes, same at autocrosses. Take it for what it's worth.
Good tires make a huge difference, and I put Nittos on before I had 1k miles on my '11 GS. Runflat tires are not renowned for their handling prowess.

Yep. The weight distribution is quite good, but there is enough power available that throttle management is critical.

Without it you can find yourself looking where you came from instead of where you're going. And it can happen VERY quickly.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM

I had several C4's before I bought a C5 new in 2000 and it was largely trouble free in over 225K miles, only needing occasionally tires (not run flats) shocks and several clutches along the way. It was driven hard with a number of engine mods none of which were too radical (re-mapping, larger injectors, larger Mass air, Magnuson exhaust etc)...the biggest improvement was changing the 3:41 rear diff for a 3:90 which made 6th gear at over 70mph really pull...it was lowered with modified shocks and it cornered like a slot car...I sold it in 2014 and turned my attention to hot rodded pick ups and bikes
I loved it, it was fun to drive, fast ,and would light the rear tires up in a heart beat (traction control off). My wife and I also had a BMW 740IL and generally we traveled longer distances in the vette as it was a comfortable and safe road car.
Oh, and because it was fastback, I could carry a bike in the back!
I miss it and I often consider buying another....

Last edited by ls1togo; 01-16-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I know that feeling....hence why I have a Miata as an unneeded 3rd car. I sold my first Miata and regretted it.
Reoccurring theme for Miata owners. When I stupidly sold mine the buyer was another ex Miata owner buying a replacement because he couldn't live without one.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Used to own a 1999 C5 Hardtop manual. The Hardtop weighs less, and goes faster. It was the opposite of a BMW, but made up for it in sheer acceleration, grip, and sound. Never had one problem over two years of ownership.
Drove it from Texas to Massachusetts, and somewhere along the way decided to open it up going up a mountain. Passed two hidden state trooper cars-they didn't chase me. I slowed down. Never opened it up like that again.
Do all the research you can before you buy. Every now and then I'm tempted to get a newer version of the 'Vette. Don't know where or how one would use any more power, other than at the track in a race. They do ride stiffly.
My advice would be to try to get one with fewer miles, and fewer owners, and good service records vs. saving a few thousand on the price. You may only have it for a few years, so those things will help with resale value.
Classic car, so if you do get one, you will get a lot of folks giving you the thumbs up! Good luck in your search
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 PM

i owned a 'vette back in the day and i must say i find all this high performance talk baffling. mine was a painfully slow piece of crap...

Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
i owned a 'vette back in the day and i must say i find all this high performance talk baffling. mine was a painfully slow piece of crap...

Ha! I remember those hunks'o'junk.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 PM

I knew I was going to regret clicking that one
Quote:
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:

One of my closest friends in highschool owned a chevette. We carpooled to school and always called it as the “vette”. I think we even told some girls we had a vette once, Thanks for making me laugh.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:

I was so cool I had Two of them 1976 than a 1978.
The 1978 was my first new car 4 speed, no Air and rear wheel drive.
40 years ago, damn I’m getting Old.
Get off my lawn
Jere B
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 AM

Mario Cippolini would not approve of all this talk about Miata when asked about Corvette.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 AM

i've owned a 1966 and a 1974. both convertibles and fun cars to drive. i have been waiting patiently for the c8 (mid engine) for the past three years. was supposed to finally come at the 2019 detroit auto show but now delayed until end of summer. we will see. a friend bought a 2007 a couple of years ago and had some problem with the computerized ride system in the car. something to do with sensors i think. he had to threaten to sue the dealer to do the costly repair. if i remember after the car was driven for awhile the dash warning lights about the suspension system would come on. you might want to do a search to see if the models you are considering are effected. other than that has been pleased with car.

i recently watch this jay leno's garage video on the amazing 2019 zr1. 204mph on a factory stock car driven by jay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFwfSZDvUCw

enjoy!

Last edited by alancw3; 01-17-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 AM

my two corvettes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_2a.jpg (78.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 AM

As I recall you are a tall guy - I'd be sure you fit in the Vette you are interested in.

I've driven a lot of different Vettes and I've never fit in them properly mostly due to head room. So be sure you try them on for fit before you get too far in the shopping process only to be disappointed when the time comes.

dave