Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 PM

OT: Any Corvette owners here? GOT MINE!!!

My brother-in-law once said, "The two happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys a 'Vette and the day he sells it." Just the same, was thinking about getting an older Corvette, 6-speed manual, '97-'04, something with relatively low mileage and price. Anything I should know? Avoid?

Last edited by Jeff N.; 01-25-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:37 PM

I had a C5 ZO6 for a couple of years. Picked it up with very low miles. Car was 100 % reliable for the time I had it and with the gearing got surprisingly good fuel economy. I just never connected with it. It felt large, heavy and numb to me. I had a 2007 Miata before and thoroughly loved the Miata. When you are really driving you sit in a vette but you wear a Miata. Two very different experiences. I miss the Miata, I don't miss the Vette.

Oh and the sport seats in the Vette are made for fat old men, if you're normal size the side bolstering does little to hold you in place. The fit and finish of the Vette is nothing special either. Still, like I said, I drove mine hard for a couple of years and nothing went wrong with it. I guess it comes down to what you really want in a performance car. On the track I'm sure it kills. On the street it was just stupid. Just my opinion....

What I now have....

Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM

You might want to get a quote from your insurance company before you buy one. Some charge a lot for these cars and they may only pay off losses based on a book value that may be shockingly low. It might be wise to check with specialty insurers like Haggerty for an agreed-value/mileage policy if this will be a hobby/collector car for you.

Ironically some of the nicest low mile examples may be found in the snow belt where they were stored for winters.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Vette insurance rates are not that bad...

The insurers penalize fast cars but they also do things based on how dumb the drivers are, and Corvettes seem to attract a more mature/older audience.

I remember years ago having the insurance guy on the phone asking him about different cars I was looking at.. he was telling me stuff like a Subaru WRX having the same quote as a 911 that cost 4-5X what the Subaru cost cause the Subaru was getting crashed a lot by young guys since they could afford it.

I drove a C5 a couple times, my FIL had one. It didn't really appeal to me.. felt like sitting in a missile, too much power for me for the street, and I think his was only 350hp. "Only 350hp".

I had some stupid fast sportbikes, they were kind of dumb the same way the Vette is dumb, but their handling and "feel" were so good they were fun to ride even slow.. I didn't feel like the Vette I drove had that kind of "feel". The CG was really low and that was nice but the steering & brakes & transmission didn't feel that fun to drive and it felt like you couldn't really use the engine without going straight to jail.

A Miata or something would probably be more my speed as long as it has lots of "feel" since you can wring it out without immediately going to jail speeds.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM
aka RAEKWON

I never driven a C5 but I drove a C6 which I loved. I rented one in CA a few years ago and ripped around in it for a week. Loved it.

I would spring up for a C6 if I was you. More power, more refined and above all better looking (still ugly though)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
The fit and finish of the Vette is nothing special either.
I think it's improved a lot, but for the model years in question it isn't a high point. It's not awful either, just typical GM.

I drove one once and enjoyed it. Surprisingly easy to drive for a near supercar. It is, after all, a Chevrolet.

As mentioned, I would go for a newer model as well. I'm guessing these are out there in large numbers. Autotrader is your friend for searching this stuff out. Lots of filters.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

the interiors are aweful, but the new one is much better
Old 01-16-2019, 03:12 PM

I have not owned one, but driven a few as well as a Miata. My view is pretty much 100% in line with jamesdak's view above. The Corvette always felt large and numb to me. The Miata was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

You can probably get one of these for a good price. They'll buff out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.jpg (135.5 KB, 755 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Administrator

I would drive the C4 Corvette...that got Roadkilled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=GD3y7ylpqO8

W.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Had a 2011 GS. Paddle shift automatic, which was just OK, I would go with the manual next time. Ordered it and picked it up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. The fit and finish were very very good. Not a single rattle anywhere, all panels had identical gaps.

Picking it up at the museum was great. You're treated like royalty, and the guys prepping the cars are typically retired from the plant across the road where they're built. They know the cars inside out and the prep was perfect. You also get a special tour of the museum and a buyer's tour of the plant.

It had something north of 450hp, and was a beast if you wanted it to be. Got 28+ mpg on the highway, not that I really cared anyway. I had the magnetic suspension option, but didn't notice much of a difference either way.

The fastest I ever drove was 165mph and had plenty of throttle left. Should get close to 200mph if you want.

There is something I love about the sound of large V8 putting out significant horespower - just a great sound.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM

You can also buy a Miata with a Corvette motor if you're so inclined.

I absolutely love my Miata, simply a joy to drive. Mine is supercharged and has a little extra oomph, but it's easily just as fun putting around town and cruising on the highway. I recommend them!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM

When I used to drive track days, er...driver educations with the Porsche Club, I noticed that many of the cars that spun happened to be Corvettes, same at autocrosses. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
You can also buy a Miata with a Corvette motor if you're so inclined.

I absolutely love my Miata, simply a joy to drive. Mine is supercharged and has a little extra oomph, but it's easily just as fun putting around town and cruising on the highway. I recommend them!
I just know I'll be back in another one despite not needing a 3rd car. They are just such a joy to drive and the call is too strong to resist.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:07 PM

I have a '94 Miata that I use for track and autocross (although less frequently since having kids) and over the years I've spent plenty of time ripping around the foothills west of Denver in my stepdad's C5 and then his C6 (base models). He also owned a Miata first, in an attempt to scratch the sporty car itch, but he's a larger dude and the 'vettes accommodate him better, plus the Miata is even further neutered when it's a mile above sea level. For me at 170 lbs the Miata fits like a glove whereas the 'vettes fit slightly loose, like sleeve of wizard.

Even a 100 hp car can get a noob in trouble. In a Miata you have to wind it out to make what power it has, but a 'vette will make enough torque at like 1500 rpm to spin the tires a bit coming out of a corner. Corvette weighs a few hundred more pounds and doesn't handle as sharply, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it numb. It's not a Camry.

If you just want a fun fast car for the street, nothing wrong at all with a Corvette. C5 interiors are fugly to the point that I'd skip straight to the C6 generation, but if the earlier interior & body style fit your taste, go for it man. Life is short. They're fast and reliable and IMO pretty inexpensive considering the performance.

Before doing any track days with it (a natural temptation for 'vette owners) read up on oil pan baffles and/or larger modified tanks. I think it was the C5s and maybe early C6s that would starve the oil pickup when pushed at enough lateral g and/or high rpm. Not an expert on which model years, but I've seen it happen more than once at VIR. Total non-issue for a street-only car.

They also don't have spare tires, which means using run-flats, or keeping a can or two of fix-a-flat in the trunk, or a AAA membership I guess.

Quote:
A Miata or something would probably be more my speed as long as it has lots of "feel" since you can wring it out without immediately going to jail speeds.
I do love my Miata, but remember it will get its ass handed to it by the first soccer mom in a Honda Odyssey who decides to drop her right foot. The % of vehicles that will outrun even a base model 'vette is pretty low.