Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Anyone been to Nicaragua?

I'm going to Nicaragua for a couple of weeks with a small group at the end of February. We will be doing a fair amount of riding, mainly on dirt / farm roads. The plan is to rent mountain bikes and stay off pavement. We will also be doing some hiking and more general touristy stuff.

I've never been to Central America before, and I don't think anyone else in the group has been to Nicaragua, so it will be a learn as we go kind of trip.

Anyone familiar with the country and have any advice?
Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Last time I said something somebody almost cut my head off... be carefull over there man.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM

You going with a tour group? Hope so. I would agree, be careful, especially with flashy bicycles etc. Life is cheap down there.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Recent visit without a bike.

Beautiful Place. Amazing beaches. Granada ia among the oldest and most beautiful colonial cities in the Americas. Plenty of unspoiled nature and volcano hikes.

Trucks and ox driven carts may be hazards to riding.

Petty crime seemed to be an issue. Our stay at a luxury resort in San Juan del Sur was interrupted almost nightly with an attempt to break into our villa.

My experience is that you will see more tourists in El Salvador, a place with an international reputation for violent crime.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM
kg

What would you like to know?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 PM

I have been and don’t have a ton of advice to offer outside of the normal advice for traveling internationally and normal safety precautions. I went with a group who have local connections who had language. Having someone who knows the language and culture is a huge help. It was very scenic but typical traffic craziness you get in most underdeveloped countries. I am sure there is a system, I just don’t know what it is. I am not sure I would want to be on a bike when I was figuring it out.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM

yes, went on a surftrip to San Juan Del Sur about 10 years ago. Now i have heard that area is a huge frat party. What area are you going to? the capital is a disaster fyi, i would not ride a bicycle nor even stay in that area.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM

no but the bruce cockburn song about it is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iwJOYTSTw
Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM

My friend is organizing the trip. He will be setting up regular tours there and we are the trial run to test out the itinerary and accommodations. There will be 9 of us.

Here's the general information I have so far:
- Staying in Matagalpa for 3 nights, riding and spending time at friend's coffee farm
- Riding the trails around Matagalpa
- Day trip (guided) to the Arenal nature area
- Transfer (Van) + Ferry to Ometepe Island (this is a dual volcano island in a huge lake, there'll be opportunity for swimming + some water sports & Hiking (2 nights)
- 2 nights in Granada, an awesome historic town. Likely an optional day off the bikes.
- bike rentals are $160/ week for Giant Talon
- We've hired a local tour guide company with a van & bike racks to do (most) of the transfers.
- The itinerary above is likely to change as we learn about more/other options.

To reiterate, this is not a trip for epic single minded single track mt.biking. It's a cultural, culinary, coffee & cycling tour. Cycling will be on varied terrain and I'd guess medium experience is necessary, fitness being more important and 'can do' attitude being most important. This is the inaugural / guinea pig tour, so for sure something(s) will go wrong, so we're looking for friends with an adventurous spirit!
We know people on the ground and its a beautiful country so I have high expectations that it'll be an excellent trip and more will follow!
I'll be there for 2 weeks, with the first few days on my own. I'm going a few days before the others so I can see Leon, which I read is not to be missed. I'm comfortable with international travel, including in rougher conditions. My main concern at this point is getting into decent fitness after the holidays.

I'm interested in whatever information people have to share about the place since I've never been to Central America.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Ya you will be fine, i originally read it more as a bikepacking/touring trip for whatever reason. Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Its been a long time since I’ve been to CA. I even hitchhiked and rode local buses and never had a minutes problem. That said, pay attention. If you’re warned away from something/someplace take it to heart. The rules are completely different from what you are used to here in the U. S. Your usual expectations of safety and security are no longer valid. And don’t even think about doing anything that is not legal where you are.

Let us know how your trip goes.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 PM

When I read "dual volcano," I had to look up Ometepe Island. Wow, looks incredible.