Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Good Answer to the Dumb Pinnarello Ad

https://twitter.com/ds_stef/status/932705726836985857

Last edited by ptourkin; 11-21-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Ha, that's good.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM

apparently, I'm missing something.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
apparently, I'm missing something.
You mean you're not part of the cycling Twittersphere? What's wrong with you?

Pinarello came out with a set of social media ads promoting their new e-bike, targeting riders that can't enjoy riding because they can't keep up with others. They've been called every name in the social media playbook, and sparked memes like this one.

Hope this helps. Now get back to your boring life.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post

Pinarello came out with a set of social media ads promoting their new e-bike, targeting riders that can't enjoy riding because they can't keep up with others. They've been called every name in the social media playbook, and sparked memes like this one.
Not just riders but specifically citing the notion that slow women would want to keep up with the pace set by the men. It was dumb and bad and they should feel dumb and bad about how they're trying to sell their electric mopeds.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 PM

"You mean you're not part of the cycling Twittersphere? What's wrong with you?"

Nothing is wrong with me, I'm not in to social media at all, love to talk to real people tho :P
Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM

outrage machine in high gear again.

A lot of couples have this problem, I have had this problem with every significant other I have had. I have heard them express the exact same sentiment about wanting to go on a ride with me. The want to go but know it would be tough for me to ride at such a low intensity and then just give up after a few outings because the gap in skill seems really hard to span.

As far as the ageist part goes, are we going to deny that cyclist get slower with age?

Also, check the olympic records for a reality check on men vs. women is physical pursuits.

I was recently on a charity ride and an older gentleman was on an ebike and it was great, it got him back outside and let him participate in an activity that he really enjoyed.

My girlfriend would really like an electric bicycle so that she could keep up on some weekend rides.

get over it people.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills!!!!!

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 11-21-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
"You mean you're not part of the cycling Twittersphere? What's wrong with you?"

Nothing is wrong with me, I'm not in to social media at all, love to talk to real people tho :P
Paceline doesn't count?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Perhaps conflating two different things. One being accepted marketing messages, the other being your or the view of "the common" experience.

The "outrage" machine is outraged because Pinarello is leveraging stereotypes for marketing reasons, and reinforcing those sterotypes. Sexism and ageism.

Why can't they just show a picture of the bike and have the same words not attributed to anyone at all (age or sex). Those with whom the message resonates will get it.

But to specifically imply that a woman needs a motor to keep up with the male masses is not only 1.wrong in many cases 2. assumes said women has no interest in training/riding the "real" way 3. furthers the exclusive nature of sport and cycling in general.

What's crazy is that this stuff needs repeated explanation.

It's not less powerful had they used and image of the bike and "I've always wanted to go riding with my partner, but they have so much more experience than me. Now everything is possible" - weekend rider, 24 (or omit the age all together)

Last edited by rain dogs; 11-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Nope it doesnt... totally different platform.

Here at least people doesnt say "went pooppiing, made a big duuukkie..., later will go to eat @nicelytacos" type of stuff

Now seriously, we had to take a decision at our home at some point and the things got weird when our facebook accounts were deactivated and they were asking our IDs to ensure that the names were real... if i cant protect myself in there, do i have to trust them to do it? so our alter egos that had like 4 friends only (people we wanted to have contact with) were deactivated... so been w/o FB for a very very very long time... We dont even bother into tweeter after what happened with FB...

The other day we went to a restaurant, an old couple showed up (maybe in their 70s+) and sat 2 tables down from us. Old lady sat and started writing cr@@p in her device... old husband did the same... hour later they were ready to leave, they were still in their devices doing cr@p. If they talked to each other for 3 minutes total in those like 70 minutes they spent in the restaurant is too much. Not a rant but is a thing of reflection, technology is cool but we are losing touch now... look around you.

Kids (all the way to highschool) dont even know how to get back home because at the minute they get into a vehicle they turn on their devices, is getting ridiculous now...
Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Classics Fan

If everyone has an e-bike, no one will have an advantage.

Maybe someone could invent high friction tires, and anti-aero spokes so that you could ride at the same speed as your non-cyclist girl, and still get a good workout.

My only worry/concern about ebikes is that you have the potential for novice riders to be going pretty fast for their skill level and if a crash did occur (which may be more likely because of the speed) the potential for more serious injury is there.

Also, they might accidentally win Paris-Roubaix, and we wouldn't want that.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

All y'all need to ride more. Leads to less time to be offended about 'stuff.'

'Stuff' that's meaningless to your daily lives anyway. How does whatever sparked that pic in the OP affect the way YOU treat those around you?

M
Old 11-21-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post

A lot of couples have this problem, I have had this problem with every significant other I have had. I have heard them express the exact same sentiment about wanting to go on a ride with me. The want to go but know it would be tough for me to ride at such a low intensity and then just give up after a few outings because the gap in skill seems really hard to span.

As far as the ageist part goes, are we going to deny that cyclist get slower with age?

Also, check the olympic records for a reality check on men vs. women is physical pursuits.

I was recently on a charity ride and an older gentleman was on an ebike and it was great, it got him back outside and let him participate in an activity that he really enjoyed.

My girlfriend would really like an electric bicycle so that she could keep up on some weekend rides.

get over it people.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills!!!!!
"Outrage machine" is code for "I am not offended, so anyone who is is wrong."

It was picture of a young woman. Younger than all of us, I'm sure. I've been dropped by older.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM

Why do we have to be in denial about actual experiences people are having? Recognizing a market is not the same as being responsible for that markets existence. If that were so handouts for the poor would also be some kind of "ist". Recognizing that a group of older people are riding slower is not the same as forcing them to ride slow. I showed my dad the ad and it made him interested, he wants to go on rides with me but can't keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Perhaps conflating two different things. One being accepted marketing messages, the other being your or the view of "the common" experience.

The "outrage" machine is outraged because Pinarello is leveraging stereotypes for marketing reasons, and reinforcing those sterotypes. Sexism and ageism.

Why can't they just show a picture of the bike and have the same words not attributed to anyone at all (age or sex). Those with whom the message resonates will get it.

But to specifically imply that a woman needs a motor to keep up with the male masses is not only 1.wrong in many cases 2. assumes said women has no interest in training/riding the "real" way 3. furthers the exclusive nature of sport and cycling in general.

What's crazy is that this stuff needs repeated explanation.

It's not less powerful had they used and image of the bike and "I've always wanted to go riding with my partner, but they have so much more experience than me. Now everything is possible" - weekend rider, 24 (or omit the age all together)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
"Outrage machine" is code for "I am not offended, so anyone who is is wrong."

It was picture of a young woman. Younger than all of us, I'm sure. I've been dropped by older.
A counter balance is needed for the everything is offensive crew, besides being offended is not an arguement and needs no better refutation than my own claim to not be offended.