Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 AM

It's okay Sandy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
I counted 22 originally. I mad a mistake in saying 21.

Sandy
you're the same ol' model.

Tried and a bit out of true.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Driveway Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92degrees
It's very cool. An embarrassment of riches. I still can't figure out the niche for the steel HSG cross bike -- why would you choose that over a CIII with custom geometry, choice of paint, etc? It's a $200 difference? Not a choice I'll have to make this year. Maybe next year, though.
i will second this thought. if the difference between stock and custom is minimal, why take the stock option?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:23 AM
inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6267a
i will second this thought. if the difference between stock and custom is minimal, why take the stock option?
I hear what you guys are saying, but there are some guys out there that havetrouble putting together the extra $200, and if the stock size works for them......

They get an Amazing bike, Serotta gets more Cross bikes out there, everyone wins!

I fit the stock geo of the HSG Cross, to the point where I can not imagine changes of I went custom, and would totally consider it.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6267a
Custom bikes can open a whole new can of worms. Many people don't need them and they won't optimise much for most riders. That said, I am not against custom bikes. But a stock size is a good thing IMHO.

Go to 10 builders and you will likely get 10 different designs. All probably good designs. The body is more flexible and adaptable than most people think.

After years of trying to optimise my riding with customs, all my bikes save one are now stock sizes. My riding is just as fun and as good as it ever was.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:28 AM

Oh, I understand there are pitfalls with going custom, I just think that even if OTR fits you, there's always some little tweak that would make it better -- slightly longer TT, a tiny bit more or less SO, etc. Plus, with a custom color the HSG is within $100 of the CIII.

Lotta acronyms
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Nice go fast geo. The 58 is spot on and quite close to my Klien.

But once again, the Serotta has a slopping tt.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Driveway Champion

jason e - love the transformer ref. well done.

to argue the other side, one very compelling reason for stock bikes imo is that the test ride and final purchase will be the same or at least have fewer variables. it is possible to actually know what you are getting.

that said, why not take a hsg and tweak it for yourself? while i am all for taking the $200 and putting into wheels or keeping it in the bank, it is 12.5% on the frame and built up with fork, $610, and kit, centaur at excel $1449, the difference is 5.5%. 3654 vs 3854. i find it hard to believe that someone will have 3654 and that last 200 will break them.

on my virtual scale a 12.5% / 5.5% drop in price does not out weigh the ability to have the color i want, potential geo tweaks for fit, or similar personalized options. now, for a 20 or better a 30% diff, i would take that more seriously.

i do think the used market for hsg bikes will be very interesting.

Last edited by gt6267a; 12-15-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Serpico

am I the only one who thinks it's odd to go from 7 models to... what, 21+?

I thought the whole idea behind a "custom" frame was that it was custom--you don't need 236 versions to decide from... you just ask for what you want and they build it.

I think it would make more sense to build a product line around modular 'options' that can be applied to different models--while keeping the number of actual models very low. it seems every other company on the planet recognizes this. the supply-chain issues that motivate larger companies to this business model might be different, but from the customer's perspective it's the same. k.i.s.s.

last year they had a model called a 'Unicasi' (r.i.p.) which was... brace yourself... a bike with ss couplers. why it wasn't a "serotta cIII with coupler option"? makes no sense imo---none.

if I were to buy a serotta tomorrow--I have no idea which one I would buy*... absolutely no idea. it's like a book of friggin' carpet swatches--too many choices imo.

anyways... /rant off/

* only sorta true, I'd definitely buy a legend

disclaimer: just my opinion

btw, much love to serotta--I'm guessing these are just birth pangs from integrating carbon into the lineup

Last edited by Serpico; 12-15-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
These appeal to me. But the sizing seems a bit peculiar to my untrained eyes. The 56 has the right TT length, but a short head tube relative to other race bikes I have had. The next size up looks to have a tt that is too long for me.

I am sure that the sizing is proper for most people, including myself, but I am a bit curious.

Also, I am not sure whether the listed top tube length is actual or virtual.

I think I would ride a 56 and can imagine one in my future.
I think the main reason for a long HT is to get higher bars. Since these frame are aimed at racers that shouldn't be necessary as racers will want to be long and low. Everyone who knows me will be certain that the HSG bikes have no appeal for me with my bars and saddle even position.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 12-15-2006 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 12-15-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb
I think the main reason for a long HT is to get higher bars. Since these frame are aimed at racers that shouldn't be necessary as racers will want to be long and low. Everyone who knows me will be certain that eh HSG bikes have no appeal for me with my bars and saddle even position.
I do understand about the long and low. My bikes have a pretty big saddle-bar drop already even with the longer head tubes. Still, I am very intrigued. I wonder if there will be a steel 'budget' version?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
drunk again

hsg.....

..........????????????

I'm with Saab on this.
I think the headtubes
are way short.

why would someone
not get custom geo ?

the only thing this line can possibly contribute to anyone is serotta and maybe the dealer. this only makes stock bikes for the floor easier to purchase and I would be curious to know if the dealer stocking agreement has increased ?

Last edited by pdxmech13; 12-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:08 PM
What? Where?!

I used to be able to say that I've ridden every bike in Serotta's lineup at least 60miles.

Now it looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Serotta James, when are you in town next...
-s
Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
I counted 22 originally. I mad a mistake in saying 21. Sandy

I was'nt questioning you Sandy, I read your first post and went to the site to fish around and ended up counting, and making my post, before reading the entire thread, missing your second post.

I think it is great to see Serotta move more into the "stock" bike market. So long as the growth does not hinder their custom capabilities before I save enough nickles for a Legend.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 PM
inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmech13
I think the headtubes
are way short.

why would someone
not get custom geo ?
They are not too short for everyone, they are fine for me. Why get custom if stock works perfectly? I think the regular HT's are too long.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason E
They are not too short for everyone, they are fine for me. Why get custom if stock works perfectly? I think the regular HT's are too long.
Plus, I think a stock size bike might have a higher resale than a custom bike.

Tags
hsg, serotta