Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 PM
8352 8352 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 65
Reach Too Long; How to make more comfortable?

I've just bought a bike off a member on the forum here, a 1994 Bridgestone RB-T. I'm going to be using it for commuting and ~50-100km rides and light touring occasionally (one night camping). I'm finding the reach is a little too long for me; my elbows are locked out when in the drops.
  1. Current stem: 100mm long
  2. Current handlebars: ~120mm reach

Build advice please?

Some ideas:
  • Moustache bars
  • Dirt drop bars
  • Shallow drop bars
  • Shorter / higher stem?
  • Differen't brake levers?

Current state after a weekend of overhauling:


Ideas:

Moustache bars:


75mm reach shallow drops bars:


Dirt drops:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 AM
alexstar alexstar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,036
What bars are those? They look pretty deep with long reach, and you have your levers set up at the farthest point, making the reach even longer. I would move the levers up on the bars before I did anything else, and rotate the bars a bit so the drops come closer to you. If that's not enough, try short and shallow drop bars. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2017, 05:38 AM
8352 8352 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
What bars are those? They look pretty deep with long reach, and you have your levers set up at the farthest point, making the reach even longer. I would move the levers up on the bars before I did anything else, and rotate the bars a bit so the drops come closer to you. If that's not enough, try short and shallow drop bars. Good luck.
Not sure, probably just stock bars. Wouldn't bringing the levers closer angle them too much to get a comfortable fit?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM
owly owly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: australia
Posts: 138
If you're happy with the saddle to bar drop at the hoods, then I'd just get a short-reach bar, like your example.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 AM
8352 8352 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 65
I'm going to try out some Soma Portola bars which have a 65mm reach, almost half. As far as drop from seat to hoods, it would be nice to have it more level. I'll grab a longer stem too perhaps.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 AM
Ti Designs's Avatar
Ti Designs Ti Designs is offline
Ride 'yer bike.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 6,116
Every discussion about handlebars gets the same response from me - learn how to ride. I say this because riding a bike is one of the few cases where people somehow forget how to support their own body weight, and then try to engineer a solution to a defective structure that's just never going to work. I'm talking about supporting body weight on the handlebars. If you're looking for a way to be comfortable on the bike while supporting your weight at your hands, the answer is probably golf.

Try this experiment. Sit down in a chair, lean forward towards your desk so your center of gravity is forward of your hips. Move your hands over your keyboard - it's a position that people in desk jobs can hold all day long because your weight is supported at your feet below you. Now lift both feet 1/2" off the ground. Either you've just banged your face on the desk, or you're now trying to support your weight at your hands, I'm not sure which one is worse. You're asking your spine to act as part of a bridge structure, which it's not. Your lumbar spine has a reverse curve, which in suspension bridge terms is called really bad design. If you want to engineer around this problem, I would forget the bars/stem and work on a carbon fiber exoskeleton...

By far the worst thing about this tendency to find a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist is when large companies actively market their solution. Yes, I'm talking about the new Specialized Future Shock. They built a spring into the steerer tube of some of their bikes, which decreases the energy transferred to the rider from hitting bumps or potholes. While it does take the edge off the impacts, it doesn't reduce the long term effect of supporting weight at the hands any more than putting springs on the bottom of my shoes reduces my weight to zero.

Seriously, your cycling position should be determined by your saddle to pedal relationship. Once you have that you figure out which bars you need by where you want to place your hands. It doesn't work the other way around...
__________________
If the pedals are turning it's all good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 PM
chiasticon chiasticon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Seriously, your cycling position should be determined by your saddle to pedal relationship. Once you have that you figure out which bars you need by where you want to place your hands. It doesn't work the other way around...
but isn't that exactly what he's doing here? he's not asking to move the saddle to get to where the bars are comfortable. he's asking to move the bars/levers because they're not comfortable and he's (evidently) already got the engine (his legs) in the right spot. which, to me, is exactly as it should be.

OP: I'll echo that you should try shorter reach bars if they work OK with your stem. how far would you say you need to move your hands back? looks like you can reduce it by up to 50mm, and that's a lot...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
CNY rider CNY rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hartwick NY
Posts: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
but isn't that exactly what he's doing here? he's not asking to move the saddle to get to where the bars are comfortable. he's asking to move the bars/levers because they're not comfortable and he's (evidently) already got the engine (his legs) in the right spot. which, to me, is exactly as it should be.

OP: I'll echo that you should try shorter reach bars if they work OK with your stem. how far would you say you need to move your hands back? looks like you can reduce it by up to 50mm, and that's a lot...
Agree.
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 15,926
speaking personally, short and shallow bars have really made a big difference in comfort on the bike for me.

Origin8 makes some inexpensive options that are good quality for 26.0 diameter if you want to experiment a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Ti Designs's Avatar
Ti Designs Ti Designs is offline
Ride 'yer bike.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?
Mostly frustration.

There are always dozens of suggestions on what part to buy - shorter reach, shallow drop, more padded tape... Then there's one idiot saying it's how you ride, not what you ride - who listens to that guy?
__________________
If the pedals are turning it's all good.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Mzilliox Mzilliox is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern OR
Posts: 2,874
nothing at all constructive

Last edited by Mzilliox; 06-21-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM
8352 8352 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 65
Hey folks.

Re: relationship between pedals and saddle, that's something I can and have recently played around with when I did my shakedown test of the bike. The problem however is in the riding position I'm in with the setup like this. It's possible to bend in, but it's just not the sort of riding I want to do.

What I'm going to try out is some shorter reach dirt drop bars, a 80mm instead of 100mm stem, and a Brooks B17. Hopefully it won't mess with the handling too much...

Appreciate the feedback
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
djdj djdj is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8352 View Post
Hey folks.

Re: relationship between pedals and saddle, that's something I can and have recently played around with when I did my shakedown test of the bike. The problem however is in the riding position I'm in with the setup like this. It's possible to bend in, but it's just not the sort of riding I want to do.

What I'm going to try out is some shorter reach dirt drop bars, a 80mm instead of 100mm stem, and a Brooks B17. Hopefully it won't mess with the handling too much...

Appreciate the feedback
Those are deep bars but, as someone else suggested, first try rotating your bars down -- perhaps so the drops are parallel to the top tube -- then move the levers up the bar. That should at least reduce the distance to the drops, where you say your arms are locked.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM
fuzzalow fuzzalow is offline
It An't Me Babe
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: a helluva town
Posts: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
there's no need to be condescending just because thats your go to move.
My own opinion of your responses is that they are overreactions and overwrought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Every discussion about handlebars gets the same response from me - learn how to ride.
Is this the statement is what is causing such strident conniption? This!? This is a statement about acquiring skills not an ad hominem.

Sorry fellas, if this all it takes to ruffle your fur, I think you'd do well to mentally adopt some Belgium hardman. If that language bothers you, take solace that the following sentence contains the word "because" which is proffering of some degree of substance in the post that follows which offers more value than many of what is posted here so you're getting something maybe you can use.

This forum lived through a time of statements like "your stems too short" which never enlisted a hurt feelings response as an accusation of condescension, at least that no one who actually felt that way would admit to publicly.

This hypersensitivity to the slightest misperception of verbal slight is anathema to open discourse and dialogue. It is anti-intellectual. It is a misuse, abuse and perversion of the wording and the spirit of the forum user agreement to feign insult as a means of censoring dialogue and the free expression of ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 PM
rustychisel rustychisel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,470
Now who's getting overwrought and hyperbolic?

OP, I hope you find the solution. Maybe buy another bike...?
__________________
'Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.' -- W. C. Fields
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.