Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 AM
aka RAEKWON

Id take cleans offer. Not only you get to meet someone that enjoya the same hobby but the guy has ahadba bike or 2 ( lol ) and will definitely be able to help
Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 AM

1) Am I arrogant for discrediting the everyday-ability of modern carbon? (There are so many offerings)

Not really. But you won't be happy if you don't get either a genuine Litespeed or at least a titanium frame, because that's your mindset right now.

2) I don't have a real parts bin, is piecing together a build not the most patience-molesting task... Should I just bite the bullet?

You're relatively new to the road bike world and don't have a parts collection. Just buy a complete bike and be done with it.

3) Am I sentimental/fixated on going for another Litespeed (I really do believe in their quality and value, relatively speaking)? What other bikes would you recommend?

Forget Litespeed; the name was sold so they're no longer what you remember. You want titanium; get a Lynskey. You could easily race their Sport Riding, Gravel, or Cyclocross models. Don't get wrapped up in bike label names i.e., Sport Riding, Gravel, or Cyclocross. Specs between bike styles have become so fuzzy as to be almost meaningless.

4) Where else would you look for a groupset / part bundle?
I'm not in tune with all the on-line offerings. Others here can offer better advice. I did have good luck with Excel Sports, however.

You CAN get a jack-of-all-trades road bike, with the only trick is to swap wheels from your commuter wheels to "fast ride/racing wheels".
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Portland-er here myself - and have some thoughts - plus an offer to meet up for some in-person assessment - but it's late - so back atcha tomorrow...

Leaving this so I remember to come back to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaScottsy View Post
Thanks Clean39t!
Welcome to the forum. Dan, clean39t, can shed some light on chasing fit and test rides. When you have some free time, read a bit of this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209717
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Id take cleans offer. Not only you get to meet someone that enjoya the same hobby but the guy has ahadba bike or 2 ( lol ) and will definitely be able to help
Quote:
This is my first post on the forum and I'd thought I'd introduce myself and propose a query or 4 to see what advice you experienced folks might offer. My name is Scott, I'm 34, grew up racing BMX and never owned a road bike until a few years ago when I bought a '78 Trek 510. I think it's a great bike, but I always knew putting any serious money into it would be an uphill battle.

As a 10 year old kid I would get Colorado Cyclist in the mail and was always intrigued by Litespeed's road offerings. When a "54cm" 1997 Litespeed Classic popped up on Craigslist I knew (from archived Litespeed catalogs) it was actually a 53 or a 55 and despite knowing 55 was probably a touch too big, I went for it. Cut to some two years later... I love my bike, but I just don't fit. I have a Thomson setback seatpost flipped, set(fast)forward style and my saddle rails are in maxed-out forward position. A good chunk of my commuting is in the rain and I really roll the dice sometimes with cars and wet rim(s) brakes.

I am in the market for a new bike. I commute to work 8 miles each way every day in Portland, OR. I like going fast, wet or dry, riding fire roads and eventually want to get into racing crits. I've been looking at 52cm 2016 T3 Discs (originally on Litespeed's site, then on Adrenaline). I know there's no such thing as a master of all trades but this one seems like it really checks all my boxes. I'm not rich and would probably have to finance for a complete build or just buy the frame and piece it out over time. My questions are:

1) Am I arrogant for discrediting the everyday-ability of modern carbon? (There are so many offerings)
2) I don't have a real parts bin, is piecing together a build not the most patience-molesting task... Should I just bite the bullet?
3) Am I sentimental/fixated on going for another Litespeed (I really do believe in their quality and value, relatively speaking)? What other bikes would you recommend?
4) Where else would you look for a groupset / part bundle?
Edit: my thoughts/opinions/experiences numbered to match your questions (to be taken with a grain of salt)

1. Every day ability of carbon is much better today than it was 2 or 3, or even 5-10 years ago. Technology has improved, and that shows with the offerings from the major manufacturers. I don't currently own a full carbon bike, but I've been looking more and more lately.

2. There will always be preferences here. Often times, for wet weather commuting my preference is disc brakes for exactly what you mentioned. Rim brakes and being able to stop safely. There are people I know who won't ever consider riding a bike with disc brakes unless its a mountain bike. Everyone will have preferences, go to shops and ride a variety of options. Cross bikes vs. gravel bikes vs. road vs. commuter oriented bikes. Geometries can vary greatly, but when you get on the bikes, you'll know if it works for you and if it doesnt. From the way you describe your current set up, your frameset is way too long for your body. A fit, and some additional information about height/riding preferences will help the gallery to point you in the right direction.

3. You aren't sentimental/fixated, but everyone has preferences and biases. I have always been a Cannondale fan, and been anti- other brands but its only been in recent years that I have expanded into others more deeply. Bias will exist, but there are tons of beautiful and wonderful riding bikes that are made from materials other than Titanium. I know this all too well. I own frames made from round steel, shaped steel, aluminum, alum+carbon, ti, and ti+carbon. Once you understand your fit preferences, you can get a greater appreciation for materials.

4. There's forums like this one, and the obvious eBay/Craigslist, as well as Facebook/pinkbike marketplaces. Take your time. Sometimes its easier to piece things together; often groups can be had for cheap as a lot. This is especially true if you don't NEED to have 11s (you may not) and are totally fine with less expensive and more readily available 9s or 10s gear. I personally own a bit of everything, after years of riding/working in shops/collecting stuff.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions, but seriously welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot; we've got a great community here and there are a number of people who will be willing to help you out. Also, the search function can extremely helpful.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 05-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Your fit problem is not going to be fixed by going to a 52cm frame. You have your saddle at least 8cm forward of where it should be, and a 52cm frame is only going to be 1-2cm shorter in top tube length (reach).

There's something going on here beside your frame size. You might want to get fit to find out why you're sitting so incredibly far forward.
This was my 1st thought as well. Your saddle position is a red flag. Before you buy anything go out and get a bike fit done so you know what you need.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

The Thomson setback (opposed to other layback posts) was chosen because the assembly on top could be adjusted to correct my saddle angle even while installed backwards and the angle of setback was subtle enough to not look totally wonky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15366BAF-D0DF-41B9-A3AE-67A342232FF9.jpeg (103.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Dan, clean39t, can shed some light on chasing fit and test rides. When you have some free time, read a bit of this thread:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209717
Reminds me...that thread is due for an update!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Your fit problem is not going to be fixed by going to a 52cm frame. You have your saddle at least 8cm forward of where it should be, and a 52cm frame is only going to be 1-2cm shorter in top tube length (reach).

There's something going on here beside your frame size. You might want to get fit to find out why you're sitting so incredibly far forward.
^^^THIS^^^ A setback seatpost in the wrong direction AND a 90mm stem? Before you spend a nickel more, invest in a good fitting by an experienced fitter. Select the fitter by their experience rather than the "tool" they are using. In Portland you should have a multitude of experienced options.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 AM

I trust the knowledge of the guy that gave me my fitting last week, but I didn’t get a definite answer on why I was so far away from my bb/ pedals (anatomy?). We didn’t look at my current bike just looked forward at specs of the 52 and 54 T3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89D234E1-3EC6-41F7-8222-D886D1E7E803.jpg (62.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Alrighty, so...

If you want titanium and discs, and you're willing to put out the cash, I'd say go for it. There has been a step-change forward in holistic design evolution for a certain segment of bikes, and at this point, I don't think the value is there in the used market just yet. For example, most of the used titanium bikes you find right now are rim-brake and relatively narrow in the tire clearance, or if they are disc, they are quick-release and post mount. If what you are wanting is a do-it-all road bike (commuting and fast road rides), you're probably better off going new right now so you get: thru-axles, wide tire clearance, flat-mount discs, integrated fender mounts, etc. For where you are in the sport, going new and getting things right the first time is the easiest place to be. Sure, you'll lose some depreciation, but when it's your only bike and you plan to pile up miles on it, that's not such a big deal.

Not that I wouldn't encourage the opportunity to tinker with older stuff, I just think that can come down the road once you have your main needs met. There's no shortage of 5-20yr old titanium frames out there that are fun to build up and ride the he11 out of - and plenty of parts and wheels to experiment with, all with little out-of-pocket risk given where they are in their depreciation curve. That isn't where I'd go first though. If there's one mistake I've made (or one lesson I could have learned earlier) it's that it is very helpful to have an anchor-bike in the garage - something that doesn't change even as you experiment with other stuff. This is a perfect way to get yourself setup for the "want to try crits" part of your experimentation. CAT-V crit races at PIR and elsewhere are fun (dangerous, but fun). And you don't need anything too special for that - pick up a road-race frameset of semi-recent vintage, a used 10spd group, used 10spd tubulars, etc., and you'll have a machine that's plenty fast for under $1K that you can bang around, train on, etc. You don't need disc brakes and 32c tire clearance for that, so piecing one together can be really cheap. Join OBRA. Check out their classifieds.. We can work on this part down the road.

So, getting back to the original questions, what should be that "one bike"???

If it's Litespeed you want, go for it!

The T3 Disc is a great looking bike. So is the T5 and so is the T2. But none of those are necessarily fire-road bikes, or perfect commuters (yes, you can commute on them, and one of us here does commute on his T2, on tubulars no less, but for the rest, it's a stretch).

If I were you, I'd look at the Cherohala SE. It has a bit taller stack and shorter reach than the road-disc frames. It has fender mounts and clearance for wider tires. Flat-mount discs. And you're not giving up anything in terms of weight on it, except compared to the T2. It's not a bike for racing crits, but I think it's a perfect bike for the rest of your riding - cruising into deep SE (Estacada, Molalla, Sandy, Mt. Hood), far Northwest (Skyline out to all the climbs, fire-roads out to Scappoose and Vernonia and beyond), far Southwest (wine country and into Tillamook Forest), up around St. Helens and Mt. Adams, Central Oregon, etc. That bike will take you everywhere, be reasonably fast, and still feel fine banging through broken pavement on your commute. You could get one really nice carbon tubeless wheelset for fun rides, and one cheaper bang-around wheelset for during the week.

If it were me, and if I had no funds constraints, I'd go for either Di2 or eTap hydro - because the levers are so much nicer than the mechanical hydro levers from either company. Short reach, flared drops for bars. And Compass tires run tubeless on a mid-depth, wide carbon wheelset.

If you liked your experience at WesternBikeWorks, go in there when it isn't busy, and talk to them about putting together your "dream bike" - get an estimate, then do some hunting on your own and go back to them with a price that's reasonable and works for both of you. Once you're in their "club", you get unpublished pricing. And they really are a good company and good group of folks to get to know, ride with, etc. At this point in your riding life, that's worth more than saving $200 by buying from a wholesaler operating out of their basement...

Whew, that's enough for now. If we're both around this weekend and you want to ride your current one out to a cafe meetup, let me know. I'm probably doing a solo-century on Saturday, so Sunday AM will just be coffee and spinning out the legs.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I trust the knowledge of the guy that gave me my fitting last week, but I didn’t get a definite answer on why I was so far away from my bb/ pedals (anatomy?). We didn’t look at my current bike just looked forward at specs of the 52 and 54 T3.
Well, he changed your saddle position by something like 13cm, with is like taking your current bike and turning the stem around backwards. Since you aren't getting that kind of shortened TT, hopefully you are okay with an increase in saddle to handlebar reach of around 11cm.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
he changed your saddle position by something like 13cm
I don’t follow, I’m not seeing a 13cm difference.

A lot of the dimensions in that fitting pic were redundant for me because they’re the same as my present setup. He didn’t look at my current bike, but when I got home and measured my bike, the numbers he came up with we’re spot on save the 44mm behind bb measurement(difference in STA and STL?) for the 52cm T3 and the 0mm ‘97 Classic I’m on now. The fit was more of a second opinion, 52 vs 54cm T3, ideal stem length/angle, brain picking kind of get together.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I don’t follow, I’m not seeing a 13cm difference.

A lot of the dimensions in that fitting pic were redundant for me because they’re the same as my present setup. He didn’t look at my current bike, but when I got home and measured my bike, the numbers he came up with we’re spot on save the 44mm behind bb measurement(difference in STA and STL?) for the 52cm T3 and the 0mm ‘97 Classic I’m on now. The fit was more of a second opinion, 52 vs 54cm T3, ideal stem length/angle, brain picking kind of get together.
On your current bike you have the seat post turned around, which accounts for about 5cm, plus the saddle slid all the way forward for another 8cm. Your fit has what appears to be normal set back, which is pretty much removing that 8+5=13cm of forward saddle position.

That has nothing to do with frame angles, which can only really account for 1cm of set back.

So I don't understand how going from a bike with a lot of forward saddle position, a 56cm TT and 9cm stem to one with a 54cm TT and normal set back isn't changing your reach to the handlebars by 10cm or so.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Riders who are frequently out in wet weather seem to consider Kool-Stop Salmon pads really good when the rims are wet. Living in San Diego I have no experience riding in rain but those pads work very well when it's dry.

While wider rims and/or tires are very popular it seems that you must be a rather light-weight rider so you can run 25-28mm tires as soft as a 180 lb. rider can only do on 32+ tires. This may make your selection of bikes bigger than a heavier rider who really wants those bikes with clearance for fatter tires.

When I see prices for used bikes it seems like a buyer will usually get a better deal on a complete bike rather than collecting individual components. If you're not experienced building bikes you probably should have a pro do it. It would be great if the tech allowed you to watch/learn as he does the job. I'd guess building a bike that doesn't need extra work like facing the BB or head tube might cost about $100?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Clean39- I went down the Cherohala thought process before I landed on the T3 and my frame of thought is that if I’m going to get into racing, I’d rather lean towards commuting/gravelling on a racier bike than the opposite. I’m good with a strap on rear fender and I joined OBRA right after my bike fit! Thru axles wouldn’t come on the T3, but flat mounts do and I feel like it might be easier to upgrade my wheels in the qr used market.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
On your current bike you have the seat post turned around, which accounts for about 5cm, plus the saddle slid all the way forward for another 8cm. Your fit has what appears to be normal set back, which is pretty much removing that 8+5=13cm of forward saddle position.

That has nothing to do with frame angles, which can only really account for 1cm of set back.

So I don't understand how going from a bike with a lot of forward saddle position, a 56cm TT and 9cm stem to one with a 54cm TT and normal set back isn't changing your reach to the handlebars by 10cm or so.
I think you are overestimating the change in setback. According to Thomson, their layback posts provide only 16mm of setback, so turning it around is a difference of only 32mm. And from the photo provided of the saddle and seatpost, centering the saddle on the rails only moves the saddle about 25mm compared to fully forward on the rails in the photo. So the difference in setback would be only about 57mm, not 130m.

Still, that's quite a large change in setback in anybody's book. I agree that there's something else going on here apart from a degree or two difference in seat tube angle. Was the same saddle used by the bike fitter that you currently have on your bike? A vastly different shape/length saddle could produce a large difference in setback. Different length cranks could also change the setback a bit, but usually by less than 10mm.

Tags
disc, litespeed, recommend, t3disc, titanium