Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 12:22 PM
Member?

SRAM eTap Compatibility Questions

Greetings!

I am ignorant as to the ways of SRAM wireless compatibility and am seeking the knowledge of the forum.

Preface: I have a Rival 1x 11 speed mechanical disc brake group on a current bike. I plan to replace the frame with a coupled frame for travel. I thought that having a wireless set up would aid in packing the travel bike. So I went down the rabbit hole of wireless...

Desire:

1. Replace right shifter with eTap 11 speed rim brake shifter (for use with mechanical disc brakes).

2. Replace rear derailleur with a wireless derailleur with range to fit the current 11 speed cassette with a 42 tooth big cog. The current cassette is on a Shimano freehub.

I have found shifters meeting my requirements for sale. But, I have not been able to identify any 11 speed wireless rear derailleurs with the capacity for the 42 tooth cassette. Does such a thing exist?

I see lots of 12 speed stuff that would work. I'm thinking about going to 12 speed. But if I do, am I locked into the SRAM XD driver body and cassettes? I don't really want to buy a new freehub and cassette.

I am still learning the jargon related to the SRAM wireless offerings and I apologize in advance if I have used incorrect naming.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide!
Old 04-10-2024, 12:43 PM

Move on to 12 speed. There are still some bargains out there. Freehubs usually aren't that expensive and neither are rival cassettes. You're just prolonging your problems with 11speed.

I've read several reports of Shimano 12 cassettes working with SRAM AXS 12 speed.

If you get a new freehub, get an XDR that works with road or MTB cassettes, not an XD that's MTB only.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:55 PM

It seems that as long as you have a disc brake bike, you can play with Sram.

If you have rim brakes, you're SOL from what I can tell. They don't want anything to do with you.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
It seems that as long as you have a disc brake bike, you can play with Sram.

If you have rim brakes, you're SOL from what I can tell. They don't want anything to do with you.
That's not true at all. SRAM Etap and AXS are avaiable in both Rim and Disc brake versions.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:07 PM

1) go for 12 speed.
2) you need both a right and left shifter, even if you're only running 1x.
3) Apex XPLR 11-44 cassettes work with Shimano freehubs.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Greetings!

I am ignorant as to the ways of SRAM wireless compatibility and am seeking the knowledge of the forum.

Preface: I have a Rival 1x 11 speed mechanical disc brake group on a current bike. I plan to replace the frame with a coupled frame for travel. I thought that having a wireless set up would aid in packing the travel bike. So I went down the rabbit hole of wireless...

Desire:

1. Replace right shifter with eTap 11 speed rim brake shifter (for use with mechanical disc brakes).

2. Replace rear derailleur with a wireless derailleur with range to fit the current 11 speed cassette with a 42 tooth big cog. The current cassette is on a Shimano freehub.

I have found shifters meeting my requirements for sale. But, I have not been able to identify any 11 speed wireless rear derailleurs with the capacity for the 42 tooth cassette. Does such a thing exist?

I see lots of 12 speed stuff that would work. I'm thinking about going to 12 speed. But if I do, am I locked into the SRAM XD driver body and cassettes? I don't really want to buy a new freehub and cassette.

I am still learning the jargon related to the SRAM wireless offerings and I apologize in advance if I have used incorrect naming.

First up, you can't replace only the right shifter for ETAP/AXS. Sram wireless is RightHand=Go Faster, LeftHand=Go Easier.

11 speed ETAP RD's did have a V2 with better chain retention for 1x, but still limited in cassette size. You could probably use a RoadLink for extra cassette size, but I've never done it, so you'll have to research that one.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:15 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

added tag to this thread
https://forums.thepaceline.net/tags....+compatibility
Old 04-10-2024, 01:16 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Go 12 speed, XD or XDR free hub or Shimano has 12 speed cassettes that fit on 11sp FHBs (not sure on 44T count though).

2 AXS RD options, XPLR (44T) or something Eagle that goes up to 50T
There aren't supported 11 speed eTAP RD's out there as they were road with the largest range being WiFLi (32 or 36T support unofficially without roadlink/etc)

Last edited by kppolich; 04-10-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:21 PM

The easiest way to achieve this is to go 12 speed with both Apex shifters and an Apex XPLR derailleur and cassette. Technically according to Sram you would need the brake calipers but I’ve connected older Apex calipers to my Red AXS shifters and it works completely fine.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:39 PM
Member?

Thank you all very much for the replies! I will need to digest it all. Looks like 12 speed it is.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:09 PM

Force levers for cable operated brakes have been discontinued, but you may find some still available. Red shifters are still made, but they are pricey.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Greetings!

Desire:

You are going to need a LH shifter too even tho you are 1by..need both to shift a sram wireless rear derailleur.

Oops, mentioned a few times above..
Old 04-11-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaddyWatts View Post
The easiest way to achieve this is to go 12 speed with both Apex shifters and an Apex XPLR derailleur and cassette. Technically according to Sram you would need the brake calipers but I’ve connected older Apex calipers to my Red AXS shifters and it works completely fine.
Apex AXS is hydraulic only. If cable brakes are desired (as OP indicated), Red or Force are the only options (and Force is going to hydraulic-only in the future).

So the easiest/cheapest option might be:
- Force AXS cable levers (you do need both)
- Whatever cable calipers you want

- Apex AXS RD + Apex 11-44 cassette (will work on HG freehub)
- AXS road flat-top chain
- compatible narrow/wide chainring

OR

- GX RD (NOT Transmission version) + GX 10-52 cassette (requires XD or XDR freehub)
- Eagle 12s chain
- almost any narrow/wide 12s chainring

But, all that said, consider a full Apex or Rival group. That'll have hydraulic brakes, but if you can make that work, it'll probably be a bit less money.

Or, with the above, you can sub the Apex or GX parts of Force/Red/X01/XX if you want to spend more and save a few grams.

Last edited by Alistair; 04-11-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM
Member?

Thanks again for all the insight. I was not aware that both shifters were required for 1x.

I have the SRAM 11 speed chainring currently. Will the 12 speed flat top chain work with it?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the insight. I was not aware that both shifters were required for 1x.

I have the SRAM 11 speed chainring currently. Will the 12 speed flat top chain work with it?

Thanks!
People have mixed success running the AXS chain with a Shimano 12s cassette on trainers, but that's with the compatible RD and chainring (usually).

So, I have doubts that chain will work with anything 11s. And not sure why you'd try. Either go all-in on 12s wireless OR stick to cable-actuated 11s. IMO.

Tags
axs compatibility