Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 07:05 PM

fizik saddle grip tape stuff??

i recently swapped some parts around and my saddle seems to be creaking, most likely at the rails. set up is specialized phenom ti rails on a fizik cyrano post. i've owned and used both post and saddle for several years now without issue, but not together.

i also have a fizik kurve saddle came with some black tape around the rails, like below. i'd like to try that on this saddle before really cranking down on the clamp. any idea what that stuff is? the glue on it is sticky as hell and the cloth side has a nice grainy grip texture. viable substitute?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i recently swapped some parts around and my saddle seems to be creaking, most likely at the rails. set up is specialized phenom ti rails on a fizik cyrano post. i've owned and used both post and saddle for several years now without issue, but not together.

i also have a fizik kurve saddle came with some black tape around the rails, like below. i'd like to try that on this saddle before really cranking down on the clamp. any idea what that stuff is? the glue on it is sticky as hell and the cloth side has a nice grainy grip texture. viable substitute?

Most likely it's some sort of rough carbon mesh wrap that's affixed to the rails with epoxy. I've heard it's only for grip and not structural at all.

If your saddle rails are creaking maybe a good cleaning and some carbon fiber grip will help it out, since the very thin layer will hopefully fill in any gaps that lead to creaking, while the grippiness will also prevent the movement that causes the creaking.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM

It's at your local hardware store. Essentially the same material a doctor would use on a broken arm. I've used it to repair a hose and it works. The roll you will buy will fix 9000 saddles.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Most likely it's some sort of rough carbon mesh wrap that's affixed to the rails with epoxy. I've heard it's only for grip and not structural at all.

If your saddle rails are creaking maybe a good cleaning and some carbon fiber grip will help it out, since the very thin layer will hopefully fill in any gaps that lead to creaking, while the grippiness will also prevent the movement that causes the creaking.
^^^ This. I also had a Phenom which was a creaky mess. In my case, it wasn't the rail to clamp interface, but the saddle to rail junctions. A few drops of Tenacious Oil in each of the 3 holes and let sit for a few hours, problem solved. I did it in phases, keeping the saddle upright for the respective mounts so the oil didn't run out right away. Needed to be re-oiled a couple times a season to keep it quiet.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 AM

Doubt it's the rails.

Take the entire thing apart (Including the adjustment wheel) and reassemble with a thin coat of Tenacious (per Batman) or waterproof grease on every surface not just threads and I bet it goes away.