Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 PM

Dura Ace 9100 Skewers

Whats a fair price for a set? Possible looking to sell.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:27 AM

Don't know a fair price. eBay is the best indicator of a market value but as often as not the asking price there is too high. I just sold some stuff on eBay and got less than I hoped for but enough that I'm satisfied.

The bigger question I have is why you're selling. Shimano skewers are as good as they get and have only equals, no superiors. They are internal cam pieces that are nicely made and vastly superior to open cam skewers that sell on being light weight. The extra grams are worth it on quality skewers.

I got rid of all my light skewers and moved to Shimano Dura Ace for all my Shimano bikes. They look good and work better.

Skewers aren't the place to save a few grams if this is the goal. Just my $.02.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Listen to Sabb and keep them. I just bought a brand new pair of 9000 skewers on eBay for $60 - free ship, so I am not sure if it is worth selling what you have. Maybe via Criagslist locally but I have always found that route to be an exercise in futility.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Dura Ace 9100 skewers are identical to 9000 skewers except that the finish is darker to match the color ways of 9100. Otherwise identical. The skewers are almost identical cosmetically when on the bike.

I'd echo Saab's comments. These are the best skewers you can find, bar none. Going to ultralight or bling skewers usually costs you significantly in clamping ability, reliability, and safety. I've been through more skewers that have snapped, stretched, or simply been unable to clamp properly.

These are new? If you're determined to sell them, $60 is a fair price and they'll sell quickly. Brand new from online retailers they're $100 a pair and new on eBay they're about $70.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Administrator

the only problem with the 9000/01 skewers is if you have an "awkward" rear dropout arrangement and that fat honkin lever is not able to smoothly fit where you would like to see it.

this is where current gen campy skewers rule all.

symmetric centered lever so skewer placement can be ideal, as god intended.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the only problem with the 9000/01 skewers is if you have an "awkward" rear dropout arrangement and that fat honkin lever is not able to smoothly fit where you would like to see it.

this is where current gen campy skewers rule all.

symmetric centered lever so skewer placement can be ideal, as god intended.

Never had a problem with all kinds of weird dropouts when using 9000/9010 skewers. Must just be an issue that those who are inclined to buy Campy will have with skewers.

Last edited by 11.4; 06-18-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Never had a problem with all kinds of weird dropouts when using 9000/9010 skewers. Must just be an issue that those who are inclined to buy Campy will have with skewers.
Normally I would side with you... but I use 9000 skewers on my Rock Lobster that has huge hooded dropouts. I can only orient the skewer pointing away from the bottom bracket - there simply isn't room to close the skewer pointing the way that picture shows.

Last edited by jtbadge; 06-18-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Administrator

emoji test...

Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Personally I prefer the 7700/7800/7900. But I think internally they’re all more or less the same.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
emoji test...

Because I was having problems getting emojis in the right place. Of course, AS sent me the following message: "of course, people who buy shimano and have an ingrained prejudice against bananas wouldn't get it...."

My response: "You're just upset that I campaign against bananas. Someone has to do it.

Over the years I've been told to have the quick release lever in the rear point up the seat stay, along the chain stay, and directly backwards. (Just like I've been told to wear glasses outside the helmet straps and inside the helmet straps.) In the many years I rode Campy, the standard was to have the quick release lever point directly rearwards. Those were the glory days of Tullio, so I would respect the standards of the time. And a happy Nuovo Record to you, too."

Any technical reservations about the superiority of Dura Ace 9000/9100 skewers have now been fully resolved?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM

The last pair of Dura Ace skewers I owned, I sold on and pocketed the cash. Bought some cheapo Shimano skewers as a replacement, they work just the same but I can clamp them in the turbo trainer without worrying about damaging them. So IMO, Dura Ace aren't the best ;-)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
The last pair of Dura Ace skewers I owned, I sold on and pocketed the cash. Bought some cheapo Shimano skewers as a replacement, they work just the same but I can clamp them in the turbo trainer without worrying about damaging them. So IMO, Dura Ace aren't the best ;-)
DuraAce skewers are awesome and nobody needs anything else.
Shimano 105/Ultegra/etc skewers are just as awesome but maybe not as pretty.

The DT Swiss RWS skewers are even awesomer.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
DuraAce skewers are awesome and nobody needs anything else.
Shimano 105/Ultegra/etc skewers are just as awesome but maybe not as pretty.

The DT Swiss RWS skewers are even awesomer.
I really liked the older Dura Ace (cleaner, IMO) lever design. The latest generation doesn't do it for me.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I really liked the older Dura Ace (cleaner, IMO) lever design. The latest generation doesn't do it for me.
I like the D-ring on the non-business end of the 7400 skewers. Classy.

But, 7800 era are pretty nice (more of a satin finish - not chrome) and likely a good bit lighter.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Don't know a fair price. eBay is the best indicator of a market value but as often as not the asking price there is too high. I just sold some stuff on eBay and got less than I hoped for but enough that I'm satisfied.

The bigger question I have is why you're selling. Shimano skewers are as good as they get and have only equals, no superiors. They are internal cam pieces that are nicely made and vastly superior to open cam skewers that sell on being light weight. The extra grams are worth it on quality skewers.

I got rid of all my light skewers and moved to Shimano Dura Ace for all my Shimano bikes. They look good and work better.

Skewers aren't the place to save a few grams if this is the goal. Just my $.02.
This post covers it. DA QRs are the best available. Campagnolo are also high quality. I give away everything else that shows up with wheels...it's not a place to use cheap or superlight stuff.