Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Confessions of a cyclist

I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. A spot for a few of my habits, quirks, experiences etc. I like my bolts, screws, headset caps, etc. to be "straight." Like the screws on a Moots head tube badge. I sometimes use regular WD 40 to lube my chain. I tend to go all gorilla when tightening bolts, etc. I've learned the hard way at least a few times. I've helped more than a dozen turtles get across the road before they were goners. I pick up nails, screws and other objects that may puncture bike and car tires. I've removed plenty of trash cans and other debris from the road so drivers don't have to swerve to miss. Hoping it helps bridge the gap between cars and bikes. I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride. This is bad but I've bought three wheelsets and a frameset on this forum without the wife knowing! I actually enjoy listening to Paul and Phil call the tour. I remember other riders out on the road by their bikes. I wave to other cyclists no matter what. Regardless of ability or what they ride. I could barely keep a recumbent bike upright the only time I tried one. I've finished dead last in an MTB race but won a state title in a Cat 5 crit! I flip my Speedplay pedals mid ride so one side doesn't wear out faster! Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew
Old 06-17-2018, 03:52 PM

After riding segregated cycle super highways for awhile, I now realize we need cars on the roads to make cyclists behave.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. ...Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew
I don't have anything to contribute, but that was an enjoyable read. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM

This is similar to another thread I saw for Subaru and Suzuki drivers...
Old 06-17-2018, 05:05 PM

i'm a tire-pressure junkie
Old 06-17-2018, 05:11 PM

I hate socks that are fashionable tall. Next up - knee highs!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:32 PM

confessions

Hi, great post! You should see my electrical outlets, all lined up to TDC!

I started to wave at semi-trailer trucks and larger when they passed me when I cycled on the shoulder of Highway 63 in northern Alberta.

They would come darn close to mowing me down many times (who knows). I thought I would mock them a bit with a wave and then realized the waves were working in that more and more large rigs were cutting into the left lane to not buzz me on the shoulder. The highway is divided with two lanes each way.

I figured some of them appreciated being acknowledged with a courtesy wave and over the course of the first two years I noticed a real improvement in how trucks and some personal vehicles would swing into the left lane while passing.

I still wave at any car or vehicle that makes an effort to give me some clearance as they go by. Most are very nice in Vancouver, at least where I bike on the west side of the city.

I also stop for all of our creatures that wander onto the roads, whether deer or squirrels (crazy animals) or geese (it is Vancouver!).

I stopped waving to cyclists in the city as many are very elitist (or whatever). I give the briefest of nods (like a monk).

Last edited by pobrien; 06-17-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: to clarify the road layout and traffic
Old 06-17-2018, 05:33 PM

I'm a nail magnet...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM

I forgot I also will wave cars along first if I come to a stop sign at the same time. And I will give a wave to cars that let me pass and don't turn in front of me. I figure it can't hurt. Overall my community is pretty decent with sharing the road. Always a jerk or two but not too bad here. Just moved into a new home and noticed our electrician had every outlet cover screw straight up and down when we moved in! Like Moots!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM

I am proudly guilty of most of the subjects discussed above, particularly those relating to friendliness to others on the road who do their job.

I do admit to squeezing runners who insist on running in the bike lane when there is a good sidewalk 4 feet away. I was a competitive distance runner for 20 years and would always take the safer option.

I also admit to violating many, if not most, of the 95 rules. For example, I often ride with an old man satchel hanging from my seat and I always wear Aviator sunglasses. I mean, is there a better choice?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 PM

I still ride Look pedals with delta cleats. They are getting harder to find but they work and I've not found a reason to switch. I bought my first clipless pedals in 1991, the night before the Hotter'n Hell Hundred. I put them on the bike and the first ride was 100 miles. No problems. I guess I got lucky with cleat alignment.
I once stopped and helped a turtle to the other side of the road and he peed on me. No good deed goes unpunished.
I sometimes wish I lived somewhere other than Texas, especially in summer. I am not a morning person but I have to ride in the morning unless I am willing to bake. It's sometimes over 90 degrees before noon and stays that way until well after dark.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 AM

Im ocd about my saddle being straight...…………...
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
I still ride Look pedals with delta cleats. They are getting harder to find but they work and I've not found a reason to switch. <snip>
I bought up a bunch when people started switching to Keos, and none of them have broken or died on me yet, so I have no reason to switch either...

Lately I've been thinking heretical thoughts about a two bolt cleat commuter shoe for easier walking...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:06 AM
ZhugeLiang

Much of my early childhood before 12 or 13 was shrouded in issues surrounding obesity, anti-social behavior, insecurity, anger, resentment, ignorance.

I discovered biking when I was 14.

It opened up a whole new world.

The essence of a bike to me is freedom.

Freedom from all the negativity that I mentioned earlier and more...

Freedom to be who I am, to accept what I have.

Freedom to explore my neighborhood and the world that I live in.

Freedom to make new friendship or help another person.

Freedom to explore the limits of physical body.

Freedom to engage in meditation on wheels.

Freedom to share, enjoy and celebrate our diversity and differences.

Freedom to open up my mind and appreciate what is good, beautiful and righteous.

It's not too far-fetched to say, this simple human invention that we call a bike is the solution and the answer to a lot of our problems.

That's the reason why I laugh and take pity at people who rides a bike and still entrapped in the bowels of self deceit, bigotry, narcissism, pride, ego, hatred, materialism.

They have yet to discover the true secret of biking.

Last edited by weisan; 06-18-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I've seen a few threads similar to this but thought I'd give it a go. A spot for a few of my habits, quirks, experiences etc. I like my bolts, screws, headset caps, etc. to be "straight." Like the screws on a Moots head tube badge. I sometimes use regular WD 40 to lube my chain. I tend to go all gorilla when tightening bolts, etc. I've learned the hard way at least a few times. I've helped more than a dozen turtles get across the road before they were goners. I pick up nails, screws and other objects that may puncture bike and car tires. I've removed plenty of trash cans and other debris from the road so drivers don't have to swerve to miss. Hoping it helps bridge the gap between cars and bikes. I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride. This is bad but I've bought three wheelsets and a frameset on this forum without the wife knowing! I actually enjoy listening to Paul and Phil call the tour. I remember other riders out on the road by their bikes. I wave to other cyclists no matter what. Regardless of ability or what they ride. I could barely keep a recumbent bike upright the only time I tried one. I've finished dead last in an MTB race but won a state title in a Cat 5 crit! I flip my Speedplay pedals mid ride so one side doesn't wear out faster! Let's see what others on this great forum have to say. Matthew
Sounds super normal to me..I do all above except wave at all other cyclists and I don't mind riding in the rain. I kinda felt the same about running until I hurt myself(achilles tendons)..ride on!!
Quote:
I sometimes hope for rain so I don't feel pressured to go out for a ride
You aren't surgically joined to your bike..it's OK to do something else....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-18-2018 at 07:04 AM.