Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
As a guy who has a degree in photography, spent 20 years making a living as a commercial photographer and has shot, processed and printed more film than anyone under 40 or outside the profession could ever dream of, I have to ask...
Why film? Is it because tubes of paint, brushes and an easel too cumbersome?
This reminds me of this classic New Yorker cartoon on vinyl records. The same might be said for film.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcarter View Post
This reminds me of this classic New Yorker cartoon on vinyl records. The same might be said for film.
Hey, I have the record collection, I might as well keep the turntable:

https://nyti.ms/1opl7cC

Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 PM

only slightly OT: jersey-pocketable film camera?

Re my Nikon Ti35... is there an actual market for something like that these days? I’ll put it up for sale if there is. Like I said, I used it on one cycling trip through the UK one summers. Shot slides. That was it. It is a bit big and heavy for carrying in a jersey pocket for sure. I also had a Yashixa T4. Thought I still had it but couldn’t find it. Maybe I have it to someone. Like many, my iPhone serves as my main camera on rides these days.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 AM

Ti35 is a $500+ camera these days.

I used to flip cameras (to buy bikes) but the camera market is insane right now.

I sold a Contax t2 data back for a friend the week after one of the Jenner’s was on Jimmie kimmel or something and mentioned that’s the camera they use—sold it in 24 hours for $750 to someone in LA. WITH A BURNT FLASH FILM
Old 06-16-2018, 12:35 AM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
Re my Nikon Ti35... is there an actual market for something like that these days? I’ll put it up for sale if there is. Like I said, I used it on one cycling trip through the UK one summers. Shot slides. That was it. It is a bit big and heavy for carrying in a jersey pocket for sure. I also had a Yashixa T4. Thought I still had it but couldn’t find it. Maybe I have it to someone. Like many, my iPhone serves as my main camera on rides these days.
Quick search of sold listings on eBay for the Nikon 35Ti indicates they sell on average $500 to $600. Very sought after.

Same goes for the Yashica T4 and several others mentioned. 35mm compacts are having a real renaissance. Some like the Contax T2 or Minolta TC-1 regularly top $1000.

On the other hand anything with a zoom lens usually won't fetch more than fifty bucks.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:44 AM

But now I use a mirrorless fujifilm X-M1 with 35mm f/2 or pancake 27mm f/2.8. You can find the body very cheap (185$ on EBay).

Fuji pro models from around the same year have the same sensor/processor, it takes excellent photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ckamp; 06-16-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Having cut my teeth on film, I second the Fujis. (Some ppl use the Panasonic equivalent, etc)

The reason I say this, is that the Fuji's are the most "film-ey" of the digital cameras, and are calibrated off of their Provia film stock. The X100 will even simulate different black and white film grain...
Old 06-17-2018, 06:45 PM

Yes, a good point! It's why I went with Fuji and the processing it offers.

My other setup is a Pentax KP with some of the 'legendary' limiteds (77, 43 etc.). I also feel I can can get some film-feel from this setup. (Too big for a jersey pocket, but I felt like talking about it anyway.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ckamp; 06-17-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I get classic and vintage things but film cameras are penny farthing bikes. They look good on display but they are actually damn impractical. Hey, I sometimes miss using the darkroom but in reality, I'd rather shoot than dunk things in chemicals.

But in trying to be helpful to the OP: I've owned a Stylus Epic and an XA (which is sitting on a shelf right in front of me) and those were the best cameras to take on rides. I'd actually find an XA if you can as it is more fun to set your focus and aperture yourself and you can control your ISO for exposure compensation if you need to. Also, the 35mm lens is sharp and fast for a small film camera.
I paid the rent in undergrad working as a film photographer and spent a couple of summers working as a photo journalist for daily newspapers. I did many allnighters in photo labs breathing fumes and turning out less than satisfying prints. The only night that provided any satisfaction was the night the hot redhead female campus cop stopped in to see what was going on.

Years later when I discovered and embraced digital I knew I would never go back to film. I sold my Leicas without a whimper.

So, in good faith, I have to ask, why are you getting more into film?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
...The only night that provided any satisfaction was the night the hot redhead female campus cop stopped in to see what was going on.
So you’re saying your days, and nights, with film were totally worth it after all.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Well, we don't really know, do we? It could very easily have gone like...

HawtCop: "Hey, what are you doing there?"
RFC: "Oh, who, me? Uh, I'm just mixing up some Dektol and hypo, some selenium toner too."
HawtCop: "What's that?"
RFC: "Well, heh, I'm flattered that you ask! It's film stuff, chemicals. I'm kind of a artist and all. Hey, we might have "chemistry"! Wanna get it on?"
HawtCop: "What??? Jeezus, cripes, hell no! You look a mess, you're pale as a ghost, you smell gross, and your fingers are all black and yellow! Disgusting! Lock up when you leave!"

LOL!!! perfect! We had crossed paths before. She did carry handcuffs.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 PM

I prefer to imagine the best.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 AM

We really should get back to cameras. Bottomline is that as much as I enjoyed film photography, it sucks compared to digital. I can understand how there might be situations when film is still best, but only if you are taking aerial shots from a U2.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-u-2...but-1528382700
Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 AM

Back to the original question, I'd only recommend retractable-lens or clamshell design camera. Anything with a lens protruding too much may catch in the jersey pocket.

Or OP can get a "feed bag" and store the camera there.