Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Super Way OT: Interview an Astronaut

Way off topic.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm sitting down to record an oral history interview as part of an assignment for one of my courses, US Space History. My basic instructions were to find someone born before 1970 who would have memories of the early days of the shuttle program (earlier stuff being a bonus), and ask them questions regarding this. I took a swing and called the current Director of Kennedy Space Center (and a four time shuttle astronaut) and he agreed very happily to sit down with me.

I have some guidelines of basic themes I'm supposed to hit for my assignment, but he obviously is a bit outside the parameters I was given of just being some random person who is at least 48 years old and might remember something about the space program.

Anybody have a question or two about US Space History that they feel they'd want to ask KSC director & former astronaut ?

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 06-14-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Maybe get his thoughts about the future direction of the US space program and what it's like to operate in the current environment without a shuttle. Then, of course, you should ask: Campy or Shimano?...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Maybe get his thoughts about the future direction of the US space program and what it's like to operate in the current environment without a shuttle. Then, of course, you should ask: Campy or Shimano?...
He rides, and is an occasional customer at the shop, which is how I had his phone number to call and ask if he'd humor me.

I can't recall but I think his bikes are Shimano.

I also am going to show him this kit, and strongly encourage that he get one.

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 06-14-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:45 PM

Shimano is the only choice of precision minded "it's just gotta work every time" pros. Love it.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
I took a swing and called the current Director of KSC (a four time shuttle astronaut)
Cool! Um... what's "KSC"?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 PM

Whatever you do, don't ask about Area 51!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Cool! Um... what's "KSC"?
Kennedy Space Center

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 06-14-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Ask Mr. Cabana what he thinks of his new boss Mr Bridenstein.

No wait - don’t .

I’m actually really I interested in what he thinks the fesability is of a NASA Mars exploration by humans. I personally would have given my left you-know-what to fly on any other mission, ever. Even Apollo 13. But not a Mars mission-too many cosmic radiation frying your brain the way things are designed right now.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 PM

I would ask him about NASA's reliability engineering and how the two Shuttle disasters affected it. I have heard that NASA builds to the highest possible standards (with some exceptions), and it would be interesting to hear about how losing two crews has shaped their already obsessive culture.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Classics Fan

wow, what a great opportunity.

Seems like there are a lot of directions you could go. You didn't say how long the interview will be, or what you will be graded on for your class.

My sense is that the big ideas around the shuttle program are well trodden ground. People like to learn about people. I'd try to make it personal about his journey, what he has learned, what were the inflection points in his life.

I am not sure of his personal life, but maybe he has a wife. I'd be interested in the conversations he had with his wife, or his parents, or his children about the danger he was taking on. What were those conversations like? Was he still active astronaut when challenger disaster happened? how did his relationships with loved ones change?

Chance often times plays into people's lives. What was the luckiest thing that happened to him during his path to becoming an astronaut? Was there something that happened early to shape his desire to become an astronaut?

Questions about the future may be interesting, but honestly, that is just another person's opinion about the future... granted, a well informed person.

I'd focus on learning about HIM, let him tell his story, his experience, and make him answer some questions that do more than scratch the surface.

Astronauts and PR people get a lot of attention for space flight, when you were an astronaut, who had your attention?

Sounds fun, good luck!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Classics Fan

Oh, a couple other ideas for questions.

Who were his mentors, inside and outside of NASA, and why?

How did he think about the very different ideas/motivations of patriotism, scientific advancement, adventure, etc. when he was trying to become an astronaut, and did that shift over time?

If he had a ticket for a shuttle flight that he could give to a non-astronaut employee at NASA, (maybe an under appreciated person that deserved the chance but never had the chance because of other circumstances), who would you give it to?

Being an astronaut, and leaving earth's atmosphere is a pretty small group of people. How does he feel it has changed him, if at all?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Boeuf Chane

On the lighter side, I'd ask him what his favorite Sci-Fi book, author or TV show was / is. (and of course, why)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:32 AM

Ask him why NASA faked the moon landing.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
wow, what a great opportunity.

Seems like there are a lot of directions you could go. You didn't say how long the interview will be, or what you will be graded on for your class.

My sense is that the big ideas around the shuttle program are well trodden ground. People like to learn about people.

Astronauts and PR people get a lot of attention for space flight, when you were an astronaut, who had your attention?

Great points. It's sort of unclear what I'm being graded on, and I'm sort of going off script by tracking down someone this close to the program. So I'm not really sure on that point.

I've told him I'm going to try not to keep him longer than 30-45 minutes.