Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 07:26 PM
2Retro4U

Chris is a good friend who calls me his brother from another mother, because we have the same last name. He gave me "Kelly" decals to put on all my bikes!

He is a very good musician, we have jammed together, and a meticulous craftsman. He got ripped off a few years ago when an eastern European company counterfeited his products and brand name.

It's a tough business these days. His shop is amazing, and he is a great frame builder, worked with Bernie Mikkelsen in Oakland before he moved to Nevada City.

I will defend my friend from insults coming from people who have never met him. This guy has a heart the size of Texas.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 PM

https://www.gofundme.com/gofund-kellyr

He is asking for 250k on GoFundMe now
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Kelly is just a $1000 Musa adventure frameset away from sales success. The market is hungry for lighter, more feature rich and comfortable adv/bikepacking bikes at the moment. Id retool and redesign and just make killer frames in that segment.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
https://www.gofundme.com/gofund-kellyr

He is asking for 250k on GoFundMe now
What people put on gofundme is ridiculous. Find a business partner for 250k, but to ask for donations in that amount... c'mon.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Agreed. Still lots of room in that segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosahn View Post
Kelly is just a $1000 Musa adventure frameset away from sales success. The market is hungry for lighter, more feature rich and comfortable adv/bikepacking bikes at the moment. Id retool and redesign and just make killer frames in that segment.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
What people put on gofundme is ridiculous. Find a business partner for 250k, but to ask for donations in that amount... c'mon.
remember the gofundme for the bruce gordon "museum" or whatever the proposal was?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Randomhead

how about a $1700 lugged MUSA adventure frameset? Will I get rich from selling those? Don't think I would want to try to make $1000 framesets, that's a loser's game.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
how about a $1700 lugged MUSA adventure frameset? Will I get rich from selling those? Don't think I would want to try to make $1000 framesets, that's a loser's game.
huge looser game. There are a few already for a bit over that (endpoint, elephant) and they are not making a lot of money on them (and are a bit more $$$). If Kelly wants to finish killing their business it would be offering a $1000 adventure frame.

I like kellys and wish em luck but it seems like throwing money at a problematic business is not going to work.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM

So it's Taiwan or bust?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
+ 1

It doesn't look like the Gofundme is going too well, does it. He needs an investor, not donations.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Black Mountain seems to be doing OK. Of course he is designing the frames and having them manufactured overseas. So a little different
Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Randomhead

I assume the fact that BMC's musa frame is made of TT Verus means that they don't sell too well unless they bought a lifetime supply 4 years ago
Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Black Mountain has what i would consider to be a winning combination to survive in the bike business right now. it seems he is doing everything right, and that's a good thing:

>Good location, close to the bay area and people who like the outdoors and have money to spend on recreation.
>Selling in-house designed frames, both at a VERY reasonable pricepoint for offshore production, with an option for MUSA frame for more $
>knowing the market: I can buy any number of 1500 - 2500 dollar gravel bike frames from any number of mfgs, a solid metal bike had for well under a grand that doesnt suck is something there absolutely is a market for
>good service - Mike answers his phone and emails to talk about his cool bikes
>good bike shop attached - i see on instagram he'll work on anything.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
There's a big difference from $1,700 vs $1,000 frameset. I don't even have to think about a $1k frameset, but at $1,700 - there are a lot more options out there where it becomes a much harder sell - like a Rock Lobster (which I own), the NFE that someone mentioned, etc.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM
cnighbor2

Need Paradise Fire frame builders name help

I wrote Chris Kelly stating,'' Has you know the Paradise Fire destroyed a frame builders house and business. If you need more staff here is a person that has great frame building skills''
However I can't find the posting on face book. would a kind member send it to Chris Maybe a chance we can get him working again
thanks
charles

Chris Kelly <chris@kellybike.com>

Today at 10:55 AM

Tocnighbor2@yahoo.com

Message body

hi Charles, what frame builder was it? i didn't see a name....

thanks for the email.

Chris Kelly

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:43 AM Charles Nighbor <wordpress@www.kellybike.com> wrote:

Name: Charles Nighbor

Email: cnighbor2@yahoo.com

Phone: 9257081295

Comment: Has you know the Paradise Fire destroyed a frame builders house and business. If you need more staff here is a person that has great frame building skills