Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I'm not sure I understand, no matter what ranking metric we choose.

Of the matches involving "top" teams so far, ESP-POR may be somewhat close in terms of talent; GER-MEX not really; ARG-ISL is mainly hype, and not; BRA-SWI definitely not, FRA-AUS definitely not; BEL-PAN definitely not; ENG-TUN definitely not.

I must not be understanding your post.
That is exactly what I mean, I would consider POR to be a top team (won Euros, all players have experience in major competition), so the fact that ESP drew was unsurprising and expected in many places. Running around claiming the "top 4" teams were all poor is somewhat misleading and unfair to the one who played decent opposition.

At the end of the day FRA and ESP did what was expected and claimed points. Germany had a poor showing against what I'd consider a sleeper side, and BRA ran into the type of team that always frustrates them: a highly organized and well drilled defensive side who can hit on the break.

Claiming ENG or BEL are "top sides" is stretching it in my mind. England doesn't have a midfield and is built on EPL hype, and BEL has a lot of nice pieces but hasn't put it together on the pitch against solid opposition

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 06-18-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
OK, you are more generous than I am then.

ESP-POR was good, fair even; we agree the most balanced opponents, by miles.
I thought that FRA-AUS was barely acceptable for teams of such disparate talent.
GER-MEX, ARG-ISL, BRA-SWI were mostly lethargic, piss-poor, very uninspired performances by much stronger sides against decidedly weaker ones. Imo.

I meant "top" sides in terms of general rankings etc., not purely personal opinions which will obviously vastly differ. Yes, ENG and BEL are not top 5; BEL are much closer than ENG, though. POR may or may not be, either way is OK. But by the same token it would be equally unfair to then place MEX or SWI anywhere near that top tier. They are not, not even relative to the teams they played and the "tough opponent" discussion.

ENG 2 - TUN 1 is still a weak result for ENG, relative to TUN's talent, no matter how over-hyped ENG may be. TUN is a complete minnow.
love that word in relation to description of football teams

also, who knows how many Tunisian players were fasting...

------------------------------------------

btw, both you and wc1934 have standing offers for free beer on me whenever you find yourself in PA/NJ
Old 06-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
OK, you are more generous than I am then.

ESP-POR was good, fair even; we agree the most balanced opponents, by miles.
I thought that FRA-AUS was barely acceptable for teams of such disparate talent.
GER-MEX, ARG-ISL, BRA-SWI were mostly lethargic, piss-poor, very uninspired performances by much stronger sides against decidedly weaker ones. Imo.

I meant "top" sides in terms of general rankings etc., not purely personal opinions which will obviously vastly differ. Yes, ENG and BEL are not top 5; BEL are much closer than ENG, though. POR may or may not be, either way is OK. But by the same token it would be equally unfair to then place MEX or SWI anywhere near that top tier. They are not, not even relative to the teams they played and the "tough opponent" discussion.

ENG 2 - TUN 1 is still a weak result for ENG, relative to TUN's talent, no matter how over-hyped ENG may be. TUN is a complete minnow.
Fair enough, I can understand where you're coming from. I think the Swiss and Mexico are dangerous opposition in the right circumstances and posed match up issues with how they played but you're right, if GER and BRA were really that good they should've found ways to win.

The FRA game to me at the end of the day, they still got points even if they had to grind. Maybe it's just my background in sport but at this level just getting the win is most important. It's almost like in a grand tour, it's about minimizing losses (in this case literally rather than the time gap) and there's a lot to be said for getting a result even when you play poorly..

Agree on ENG vs TUN but like the ARG-ICL game, I didn't expect much more than that. ENG is vastly overrated, and ARG-ICL is more evenly matched than most think: talent vs organization
Old 06-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Wouldn't disagree with above. Would just add that IMO, Iceland played much better than Tunisia. The latter were pretty awful, would never have scored but for that completely unnecessary foul by Walker - and looked tentative and shaky in defense. On that last corner, there shouldn't even have been a corner if the Tunisian defender had hoofed it up field or sent the ball over the sideline when he had possession, instead he decided to hang onto the ball for whatever reason and gave up a cheap corner. England looked like scoring on every set piece and really should/could have scored a bunch more.
Iceland is a well organized team but remember they got torn apart by FRA in last EURO. ARG certainly has forwards to have done the same.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:03 PM

.... ..

Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM

I think the fasting period ended a few days ago, not sure when.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM
aka RAEKWON

don't quote me on this but I heard all ITA fans are now supporting POR for the WC
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, that all makes complete sense; we are on the same page.
And you're right, a win is a win, period, and must be obtained. Ties are going to be more deadly than normal this year, because of the balance.

Are you a POR fan like R3awak3n?

I thought that Uruguay, Serbia, Croatia, Peru, Senegal, Nigeria could be strong to tough dark horses, but maybe not. Uruguay is always strong but often lapses too much; Serbia is often scary and then doesn't bite; Peru already lost; Nigeria looked weak; and Croatia sent Kalinic home today for disciplinary reasons, which could be a significant loss.

Spot on.
I'm Spanish and an ESP fan but I respect POR and as a Real Madrid fan know how devastating CR7 can be on his day... If I had pics of my Bedford (well and if it was built) you'd know

I think of your potential dark horses, Uruguay and Croatia can make it the furthest. Both have deep and experienced squads who can grind out some wins. I like Peru but think the lack of experience will hurt them
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM

.... ..

Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 PM

.... ..

Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I'm Spanish and an ESP fan but I respect POR and as a Real Madrid fan know how devastating CR7 can be on his day... If I had pics of my Bedford (well and if it was built) you'd know

I think of your potential dark horses, Uruguay and Croatia can make it the furthest. Both have deep and experienced squads who can grind out some wins. I like Peru but think the lack of experience will hurt them
Quote:
Wow, we have a fair amount of fandom/representation here. That's great.
It is funny that all my Real friends were "ok" with Ronaldos last goal as in, they rather Spain win but if someone was to score then Ronaldo and deep down inside happy about. They were equally as delighted as Messi PK miss
Old 06-18-2018, 04:33 PM

.... ..

Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
It is funny that all my Real friends were "ok" with Ronaldos last goal as in, they rather Spain win but if someone was to score then Ronaldo and deep down inside happy about. They were equally as delighted as Messi PK miss
Interesting. Suspected that Spanish Real Madrid fans would pick Real Madrid over Spain in the World Cup
Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Are they Spanish?

I almost lost it when that went in, but I do respect the skill it took to make that free kick. I can't see how anyone who's Spanish would be ok since it was Ronaldo, I'd still rather have the win