Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Vendor

I built my workbench around a free wooden old desk that I found so I could get the drawers for additional storage. The work bench looks like your typical work bench with a lower platform and then the top. Except in my case, the desk sits on the lower platform and the top is a big piece of plywood that sits over the top of the desk. I wanted to have a tool board above the work bench. The desk was very deep and I wouldn't be able to easily reach the tool board so I also cut the desk down by going around the thing with a circular saw. Looking back, I should've taken a little more off, but the big workspace gives me more room to pile junk on.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I dig the R2D2 decal on the fridge. Gotta remember that for my next garage fridge

...and... that basement looks better than some 'real' bike shops I've been in!

M
My wife made the R2D2 out of colored duct and painting tape. She is amazing at her little art projects (as she calls it)..
Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Question about the top - any reason not to use 3/4" melamine- laminated MDF instead of plywood?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post
Question about the top - any reason not to use 3/4" melamine- laminated MDF instead of plywood?
Melamine / mdf would be flatter than something like OSB, but its not going to stand up to abuse like plywood would - e.g. you couldnt screw a vise or anything into it, any water/beer/hot coffee could make it swell and separate, etc.

Baltic birch or a higher grade plywood would be just as flat and much more solid.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Haven't put the casters on it (didn't have screws that would work for them) but honestly it's at a pretty good height as is. Still have some more cleaning and organizing to do, and need to build out the shelf (and get rid of the plyo-box) but I'm really happy with how it came out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench1.jpg (125.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Bench2.jpg (110.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Bench3.jpg (127.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Bench4.jpg (86.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Bench5.jpg (74.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Haven't put the casters on it (didn't have screws that would work for them) but honestly it's at a pretty good height as is. Still have some more cleaning and organizing to do, and need to build out the shelf (and get rid of the plyo-box) but I'm really happy with how it came out
Was anything missing after being ransacked?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
While not basic, i built a few of these. Framing corners and adjustable feet with cabinet grade plywood. $135 all in. 30” deep x 84” wide.
Do you deliver?!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Was anything missing after being ransacked?
LOL

The basement has been in a state of dissaray over the past few months. Working on getting it all back together and orderly.

I work two jobs -- don't have a ton of time to take care of the stuff I should be taking care of at home. Any precious time that I'm not handling familial stuff or work is spent riding..