Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM

Ball of foot and pedal spindle

I've been given conflicting opinions from a couple of fitters I know but when I mark the location of ball of foot on the side of my shoe (1st distal metatarsal) and install a Shimano spd-sl cleat I set the center-line mark on the cleat 1cm behind the ball of foot. However when I clip into the pedal the mark on the shoe is dead center over the pedal spindle.
Is the ball of the foot directly over the spindle or 1cm in front of the spindle?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Your description and question are sort of confusing to me.

I suggest you mount the shoe on the pedal then remove the pedal from the crank arm. That should give you a better visual clue as to whether the ball of the foot is over the pedal spindle.

Ignore the location of the cleat.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Ball of foot

The target that you are shooting for is the midpoint of the 1st and 5th metatarsal.
So if you imagined a line through those points.
1cm back from 1st metatarsal could be close depending on your foot- Or you could just slam the cleats rearward and call it good.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM

This might help

Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 AM

If you're getting issues with your feet hurting or going numb at high power for extended intervals and such the cleats are likely too far forward.

If your legs/feet aren't quite the same and you're having saddle issues and/or left right power imbalances you probably don't have the offset of the cleats quite right.

Otherwise these rules are just rules. They don't work for everyone and I bet Steve Hogg adjusts things per client to get things right even if it means he breaks his rules.

I kind of think some of the rules might break down as feet get bigger or smaller than the middle of the bell curve, just like most of the other bike fitting rules.

One thing that was helpful for me, and I've been fit a lot, was setting up a camera and doing my own video capture on my trainer at home. I was able to zero in on a couple of little changes following some of Ti Designs guidelines that really helped me. Video capture is pretty democratized at this point. You just need a camera and a tripod and then you can use any of a bunch of low cost apps to analyze angles and such from your video.

No fit I've had ever analyzed me from the front or back.. doing so showed some interesting things. Pretty much every one only took video from the drive side of the bike.

If you're taking a video with respect to cleats you would be looking at what your feet are doing in the pedal stroke. Things like excessive toe down can be saddle height, but they can also be cleat position.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Subscribed !
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I've been given conflicting opinions from a couple of fitters I know but when I mark the location of ball of foot on the side of my shoe (1st distal metatarsal) and install a Shimano spd-sl cleat I set the center-line mark on the cleat 1cm behind the ball of foot. However when I clip into the pedal the mark on the shoe is dead center over the pedal spindle.
Is the ball of the foot directly over the spindle or 1cm in front of the spindle?
There is no hard and fast rule. Some people like the cleat positioned slightly forward; some prefer being more heel-back. Don’t obsess. Using any one of the “rules” — whichever you choose — will give you a starting point. You eventually will determine what feels best for you. Keep the cleats where your fitter put them. Trace the outline of the cleat with nail-polish so you can reposition them. After a few days of riding, try moving them a small amount and see how they feel.

Stop being OCD and go ride your damned bike!