Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM

These days most moving companies, even the well known ones, are self insured and will do everything they can to limit pay outs. NEVER NEVER sign off on delivery until each and every item has been inspected. Take photos prior to the move.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 PM
'89 Nova Special

That is very true, it took them 5 days to pack and then a 20 hour rush to load the truck but only 3 hours to unload an entire semi. Lots of lessons learned in this move. A good outcome is that I will be getting a new to me Seven Axiom SL that was posted in the classifieds, my homeowners policy has been very good to work with but Atlas moving not so much. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas they posted, I contacted Serotta Design Studio and my local bike store for comparable quotes.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Wow, who moved you? Two a holes and a truck? 100k in damage is crazy. Their bosses must be fuming. Sorry for all of your losses.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 PM
cmg

$100k loss for a move? how much did the move cost? you may have just bankrupted the company or you may be the new owner. wow.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 PM
'89 Nova Special

Atlas Van Lines, cost to move was about $20,000.

Next time you move, please take a good and long hard look at the quote. You want full value replacement insurance not the 60 cents per pound, and the magic words "climatic damage" to be covered.

Items were packed in zebra pattern moving blankets and not microfiber, and moved in middle of snow storm in non-climate controlled truck. Also, to move a tv cost $599 for the boxing and unboxing was close to the same. I paid $1200 to move a $300 tv. if you live in an area with a large development, good chance someone just moved in and has moving boxes. Photograph everything before and after, and also during the move. I had 2 of the 3 movers that Atlas hired working over 20 hours with their kids home alone unsupervised and unfed, I called Atlas and explained that they needed to send replacement workers so these guys could get home to their kids. Of course Atlas did not send any reinforcements. In South Florida, everyone is out to make a buck. The guys provided to unload the truck stacked everything up blocking doorways and box on top of box, assembled furniture with all the wrong parts. Every time they were questioned about this their response was "I am the owner of my own moving company, here is my card. I can come back tomorrow and help you out and we can get it just the way you want it." Next time they are not leaving till everything is accounted for and put together correctly.

However, the biggest lesson I learned was to give / throw away what you don't need. Don't pay to move something that is worth nothing to you or you are not going to use, Goodwill and other charities can and will put them to good use.

Last edited by pe3046; 06-18-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I've gone through two substantial claims in recent years, one on bikes, one not.

Your comment about getting supplemental insurance is well-founded. Otherwise one is covered only for $0.60/lb. However, the supplemental policies through the mover are often crap -- requiring every item be itemized and putting caps on the value of each that you can only calculate by reading all the fine print. My homeowners' policy was the salvation on both moves. I had replacement insurance and either got paid on the spot for items or if there was depreciation imputed on an item, I got the depreciated amount immediately but got the rest up to the replacement cost when I purchased the replacement and could show a receipt. I actually only had to show a valid quote from a custom builder and the insurer accepted that. Because I was buying all kinds of components from different sources, it was complicated but they weren't unreasonable. The moving company's insurance was useless. I'm glad I got it because I used it on furniture damage, but they weren't equipped to handle the bikes.

I've had a combination of Chubb and Amica and been very happy with both. Never had a real question about coverages, and in one case I had a Serotta Legend Ti stolen, along with a bunch of expensive accessories, and they simply wrote me up a total and paid for a brand new replacement Moots (Serotta had closed its doors at that time). The bike's gruppo was a generation old and the frame was about seven years old, but it all was fully covered and they actually let me upgrade a bit along the way because the standard on components had improved from when I got the Serotta to when I replaced it.

By the way, for artwork, mirrors, flat screen TVs, and so on, the best trick around is to pack everything in bike boxes. I've moved many times with many bikes and as soon as I know I'll be moving, I start collecting high-grade bike boxes. Those are typically slightly larger than others (e.g., Trek Madone versus boxes for less expensive frames), from certain manufacturers (Comotion have the absolute best wheel and frame boxes, followed by Santa Cruz, followed by BMC, and then I just watch for good boxes from wherever. Some of the best boxes are double thickness, wide, have grip cutouts in the right places, and aren't cut up. I pay the shop manager at a couple local shops with some six-packs to pull the best boxes aside and to open them properly rather than cutting them open. I do pack much of my stuff myself, but I also have a lot of valuable artwork and a lot of bike equipment and high end TVs, so I don't trust those to movers.

But as far as insurance goes, always read the fine print and never trust the third party policies offered through some movers. Get a dedicated moving policy from an independent but credible insurer or get a big rider on your homeowners' policy. I prefer the dedicated policy because if anything goes wrong, it doesn't get reflected on my homeowners' policy premiums, and I can also tailor a specific policy. The premium is always worth it. If you have nice stuff, something always gets tweaked or broken.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Custom and semi-custom production shop?

Mosaic and IF come to mind.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Lugged Hampsten, Kirk, Strong, Waterford
Old 07-25-2018, 07:58 PM
'89 Nova Special

Resolution

Final note, they valued the bike at full replacement to a brand new Serotta - 30% depreciation. Took a long time to get resolved, but I highly recommend you make sure your bikes are covered at full replacement value. While I am sad to see my Serotta go, I have too many projects that I need to focus capital on but I did pick up a nice Seven on here to ride.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM

I have that exact frame, fully restored with a modern day group. If you like, I can get an estimate for mine.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Murray View Post

I have that exact frame, fully restored with a modern day group. If you like, I can get an estimate for mine.

BTW, if you’re interested in this bike, I’m trying to sell it. PM me
Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 AM

On the topic, Can anyone recommend a renter's insurance that will cover high end bikes? I got a quote through AAA (whom i used years ago) and their MAX payout on a Sporting Good category is $1500.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:26 PM

Fwiw i used to work at a bike shop and pulling quotes was usually out of catalog value at full retail value for custom builds that were damaged or stolen so it'd add up real quickly.
Good luck with the process!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 PM

the insurance company might not give you the full fizak tape thing...such is life...good luck!
Old 07-26-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Murray View Post
BTW, if you’re interested in this bike, I’m trying to sell it. PM me

Personal estimate to follow I am guessing for the insurance guys? sounds like a real win win for all involved...

Last edited by cash05458; 07-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.