Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Awesome
Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
This! I'm sorry but if you prey on the honest people in society then society just does not need you. No sympathy for thieves at all no matter what. And I grew up poor as crap but didn't steal. There is really no excuse!
No one is arguing that stealing is rad and who cares. The argument is that outside of filing a report, there isn't a lot the police can do to chase down small value robberies.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 AM

scenario : Thief opens package while driving causing an accident and sues the guy that set the trap for a million plus and lives happily ever after.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
No one is arguing that stealing is rad and who cares. The argument is that outside of filing a report, there isn't a lot the police can do to chase down small value robberies.
Maybe true but what would the 'police' do if a citizen took matters into their own hands? I imagine that would get 'police' attention, unfortunately.

Is it a problem? Yes it is. The interweb is lousy with porch pirate videos. Is it a crime? Yes it is..I think it's sometimes considered something less than burglary or B&E, because it's 'just a package' and on somebody's porch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZPgqzPzBk

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-18-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Why??

Think about it, have we pretty much deteriorated as a society when it's now the norm not to care about theft?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 AM

And the F'd up thing is some of those thieves have nicer cars then I do. *** is wrong with people.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdiggler View Post
scenario : Thief opens package while driving causing an accident and sues the guy that set the trap for a million plus and lives happily ever after.
Yup, I thought about that too. The police won't do anything to help this guy but they sure would 'help' if that ever happened.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 AM

The Bianchi looks like it may be nicer than what some of us have here as well.
A bit grainy in the dark light but is that a Campy lever?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
great but not mean enough...I'd be filling it with some neon pink oil-based paint of some kind, mixed with skunk oil or something. dirt devil not gonna cut it for clean up.
EXACTLY!!! Scumbags deserve something much harsher than glitter and fart spray.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Why??

Think about it, have we pretty much deteriorated as a society when it's now the norm not to care about theft?
How exactly do you propose that your local police go about investigating the robbery of a box off your porch? Even with video, unless there is a rash of complaints in an area, i'm not sure how the police are supposed to catch the thief. If you've got enough complaints or the right person complains, I suppose you could get an additional patrol or two in your area, but that's prophylaxis, not remedy.

Again, I didn't say no one cares, I said what is the recourse here?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Why??

It's not about caring, it's about resources. Law enforcement agencies now have to deal with many crimes and circumstances that didn't exist in the past. Responding to drug overdoses alone taxes some departments to their limits. They have to decide where to apply their resources to best provide for public safety. Small scale theft is low on their list of priorities despite how infuriating it is to the victims.

A few years back, my wife's Apple account was hacked. The thief ordered a laptop computer. Because we still had access to her account, we knew exactly what was ordered, the delivery address, and the tracking information. We provided this information to the police in the town where the package was to be delivered. They said they could not help us. They did not have the resources to monitor the delivery address until the package was picked up. They also said that the crime should be reported to our local police since the fraud was perpetrated against our home address (mailing address for the Apple account). Since Apple did not charge us for the fraudulent purchase, the local police did not investigate further. At the end of the day, the thieves won and Apple was out the cost of the laptop.

Greg
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Classics Fan

Code of Hammurabi states that thieves be put to death.

Property rights are a central tenant of society. Whatever punishment we have now, it is clearly not enough of a deterrent. In some societies thieves get their hand chopped off.

Maybe we can find a happy medium between dismemberment and casual indifference. Seems like a pretty wide field of possibilities.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM

We have gotten so soft on crime it's ridiculous. At what point do we reverse this trend?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
How exactly do you propose that your local police go about investigating the robbery of a box off your porch? Even with video, unless there is a rash of complaints in an area, i'm not sure how the police are supposed to catch the thief. If you've got enough complaints or the right person complains, I suppose you could get an additional patrol or two in your area, but that's prophylaxis, not remedy.

Again, I didn't say no one cares, I said what is the recourse here?
You really don't want my thoughts on solving a good bit of our criminal problems. Most would cringe at how I feel I'm sure.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Code of Hammurabi states that thieves be put to death.
Is this such a bad thing, really...