Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM

What does the RD look like on the 11t cog? Almost looks like you could lose a link or two. Cool setup, Nick.

I considered a 1x, but I've grown to appreciate the small gear jumps offered with a 2x ultra compact.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
What does the RD look like on the 11t cog? Almost looks like you could lose a link or two. Cool setup, Nick.

I considered a 1x, but I've grown to appreciate the small gear jumps offered with a 2x ultra compact.
it's OK in the 11. the RD is pretty much maxed in the 40, which is really what set the chain length.

i wouldnt have gone 1x if this frame were not designed specifically for it (no braze ons for FD cables)

i do think it's going to work out OK though. i dont really ever need the top end speed, and now i have a lower than 1:1 for climbing the nasty stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Done the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
well, i have basically no miles on the set-up, but i think it's going to be relatively OK for the riding i do.

38x11, which is my fastest gear on this bike is 92.1 gear inches.

on a regular compact, 50x14 is 95.3 GI, and 50x15 is 88.9 gear inches, so the 38x11 is right in between them for gear range.

on the road, its not too common for me to need more gear than the 50x14, sometimes going fast downhill, but not super common, so - to conclude - i think it will work out OK.

i guess i'll see...
You have thought this out. I ride mostly flat land and the 50 puts me at a small disadvantage on the road with alot of guys running 54's, but I just gotta work a little harder on the Power.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
You have thought this out. I ride mostly flat land and the 50 puts me at a small disadvantage on the road with alot of guys running 54's, but I just gotta work a little harder on the Power.
Are you seriously spinning out in your biggest gear? A 50x11 at 90rpm cadence puts you at 32mph! Dang.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
My question is with that small ring on the front, can you keep up on the road or are you just doing this off road for the most part?
i rode to cape cod from boston one a 38t front ring and sat in a paceline that played in the 20-24mph range for some portion of it..never had an issue with spinning out.
a 38x11 will get you to 27+mph at 100rpms, a 38x12 will do 25+.
if i were to choose a road ring size that would remain friendly for dirt rides, a 42t in the front.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

How's the gear spacing with the 11-40? I would like to run this since it will easily fit my wheelset, but a I would rather run an 11-32 or 11-36 on the road.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Are you seriously spinning out in your biggest gear? A 50x11 at 90rpm cadence puts you at 32mph! Dang.
So I can do 35 plus for short bursts (3 to 4 mins). Being a flatlander when I get on top of a hill I many to push it for all its worth, I say that's where a 54 comes in handy.

Not sure I qualified my previous post, I don't spin out, but in a world of "marginal" gains its nice to have something in your pocket when you need it.

I was really commenting more about the small ring Angry is running, I would definitely run out of gear on that with the groups I ride with.

Ray
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I don't have a clutch rear derailleur on my 1x cx bike and dropped zero chains last season. I do use a narrow-wide and keep the chain as short as is safe. Clutch is better but you should be fine without it. A chain catcher could give you extra security.
no-clutch is fine until you either crash or pack your chainring with mud, and then its coming off. I started without one, but you do need it long term.

I dont know what that means for Campy though, its probably in the owners manual not to get dirt on it
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just wanted to update in case anyone was interested, and since i got a few PMs on the specific setup. Works great as shown:

*athena-11 shifters. left hand shifter gutted and brake lever only.
*potenza mid-cage RD with wolf tooth roadlink extender. lowers the effective position of the RD just enough to clear all cassette cogs
*Fulcrum racing 5 wheels with shimano freehub
*shimano XT 11-40, 11 speed cassette.
*sram rival-1 crankset with raceface 38t wide-narrow chainring.

everything shifts crisply and perfectly set up this way. i have an 85 mile gravel race/ride this coming weekend to test it all out
I really wanna ride this bike! looks fun!