Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 10:42 PM

Short stack stems

Looking to swap two forks but one of them is just a hair to short to put “normal” stem on it...are there any stems with really short stack out there? Prefer something metal and inexpensive but open to options. If not there maybe a nice fork coming up soon!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 PM

How short is short? How cheap is cheap?

Thomson X2 is 36mm and around $50 used.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM

Thomson and Deda Superleggera are your two options. I definitely prefer the Deda, but you're looking at $70+ there on sale..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 PM
v a n i l l a

thomson X2. I raced cx for six years using one and no issues with the two bolt either slippage or cracking as is sometimes reported.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 PM

Thanks for suggestions, just checked measurements. Anything out there under 30mm? Headset is already one of the low ones! Might be searching for a fork on here in near future..
Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 PM

Paceline Forum: Low stack stem for 1 1/8.

Note:
This is the clear version of the short stack headset chart I had posted on Page 2 of that thread, that PhotoBucket later blurred out, if you get to the point of considering a short-stack headset.
"You might be better off switching to a low-stack headset, or buying a new fork with a longer steerer, rather than compromising on stem stiffness, choices, etc. Lower than 38-40mm stack stems are not necessarily the best option.

With this chart you can compare options and costs, and then decide between a new headset, a new stem, or a new fork."
Old 01-16-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Thanks for suggestions, just checked measurements. Anything out there under 30mm? Headset is already one of the low ones! Might be searching for a fork on here in near future..
Under 30mm stack is really tough, other than that Basso cited in the other thread I cited just above. I have no experience with that or any other <36mm stem.

<30mm is really boxing oneself/possibly asking for trouble, flex issues, etc., imo, depending on stem length + rider weight.

My suggestion: Since you already have a low-stack headset, maybe sell or retire the "too short" fork at this point, buy a fork in the correct length, and then have your choice of myriad standard-stack stems (and/or headsets as well) in future.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:33 AM

A carbon or metal steering tube can be safely extended by up to 15mm. I did this to the carbon steering tube on my LOOK KG461 over 10 years ago and it's worked perfectly since then.

When the process is complete, the entire area where the stem clamps will be solid epoxy, along with the extended area above the original tube. No expanding plug is needed. I can send detailed instructions.

I do something similar in lieu of an expanding plug, on all of the bikes I build up. I never have to worry about a slipping plug or over tightening the plug, since the entire stem clamp area is solid epoxy. I also don't need a 5mm spacer on top of the stem. The tube has the normal 6mm threads for the top cap bolt to preload the bearings.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Syntace FlatForce is probably going to be the lowest at 27mm.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Thread Drift - question on headset stack and impact on geometry

Looking at the table above, if I was to go from a Chris King bottom cup to an extralite bottom cup, what impact would it have on frame geometry?

I assume head angle and seat tube angle would both slightly increase. How noticeable would it be? I assume that saddle setback would need to be tweaked, as would saddle level and maybe height a bit.

Reason this is interesting to me is that I was to switch from a Chris King to an Extralight headset, I could get my moots to fit better in terms of handlebar drop. I already have a -17 stem on the bike and it is not low enough and have tried a -20 without gaining as much as I need.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:05 PM
That guy..

I have a Rotor S2.
Lower stack height vs Thomson X2. Even lighter!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Looking at the table above, if I was to go from a Chris King bottom cup to an extralite bottom cup, what impact would it have on frame geometry?

I assume head angle and seat tube angle would both slightly increase. How noticeable would it be? I assume that saddle setback would need to be tweaked, as would saddle level and maybe height a bit.

Reason this is interesting to me is that I was to switch from a Chris King to an Extralight headset, I could get my moots to fit better in terms of handlebar drop. I already have a -17 stem on the bike and it is not low enough and have tried a -20 without gaining as much as I need.
The change would be relatively insignificant. You could leave the lower half alone and only use the upper. Depends on the color.