Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2024, 08:27 AM

Warped chainring experiences?

This is probably a pretty niche question but curious if anyone else has had this happen.

I bought some shimano pattern 4-bolt Specialities TA X110 chainrings and am finding that as I torque the chainring bolts, the inner chainring starts to warp, almost like the chainring bolts are pinching the inner chainring at the bolt point, causing the ring between bolts to warp onwards towards the frame. The effect is that when spinning the cranks in the stand, the inner ring is wavy.

It almost seems that there isn't enough material on the TA inner ring that is causing this warping.

For reference, this is a 12 speed road set up, 2x with 48/33 chainrings on shimano 4-bolt 110 bcd pattern torqued to 4nm evenly across the four bolts in an alternating pattern

For those using a similar setup, any pointers? Should I toss the setup for something else, replace the inner ring, or just torque lower and use lock-tite on the bolts?
Old 09-01-2024, 08:40 AM

I have a 34/42T setup with a Shimano inner ring and a Specialties TA X110 outer ring. I don't have a problem.

Does your inner ring sit flat against each crankarm tab, without force to seat it?
If not, I'd give the chainring tab a couple file strokes.

Inner rings are usually exempt, but does your ring have an "index mark" which must line up with the crankarm or opposite the crankarm?
Old 09-01-2024, 12:58 PM

That's a great point, I think the inner ring did have some slight machining on the inside. Maybe I'll try to file that down thanks!
Old 09-03-2024, 08:45 PM

Chainrings made for Campag 110mm crankarm?
Old 09-04-2024, 11:50 AM

have a similar issue with a dura ace 9100 chainset and 46/30 rings from Bikingreen

Have had the chainrings in 5 arm version on many different chainsets before and never an issue

The seller sent me a replacement inner ring so will see if it helps but still find is strange

The warp inwards on my inner ring happens just underneath the crank arm