Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 06:06 PM

Crashed a rental

Was on a rental and hit a section of road where my wheel got caught...next thing I know I’m head first over the handle bars laying face first with the bike on top of me, the front of my helmet and left hand the first point of impact - getting the brunt -my hand is pretty sore. The bike has a little bit of damage, the right hood got knocked out of alignment and the lever is a bit scuffed. Beyond that the bike “seems” ok with no other visual damage....I’m thinking the bike shop is going to charge me something for the damage - does anyone have advice on what would’ve a reasonable offer? And what other advice does anyone have to be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Administrator

sorry to hear!

you should look at the rental contract, you may be contractually bound by something in there.

advice is, that if you rented it with a major credit card, many of them have incidental insurance built in that you may be able to access for a case like this.

heal up quick!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:16 PM

I crashed a rental Colnago C60 once It was a low speed crash, out of sheer stupidity on my part. Anyways, there was a small scratch on one of the shift levers (Campy Super Record), and the bar tape got torn up a bit. When I took it back, I told them exactly what happened. The manager said sh** happens and charged me only for new bar tape (just the part, not even the labor). Hopefully you receive similar treatment.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Check to see if you purchased the optional damage waiver plan at time of rental.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:15 PM

Go into the shop, tell them what happened and offer to pay for it. Be moral and ethical. Chances are, you will not be charged.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Sounds like it, other than the sore hand, but make sure you are ok first. The couple times I remember wiping out, I always looked over the bike first too instead of myself. The day after I was usually a little more sore than the day of the wipeout.
Look at the rental contract, as you may have purchased a damage waiver. Call the shop or take the bike in and tell them what happened. I would expect rental bikes to have some scratches and signs of use so unless something is horribly damaged (other than scratched and levers moved a bit that you mentioned) I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal from the shop.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM

IMHO, its always good to get the insurance if they offer it. I dont think its a lot of money. I rented an expensive mountain bike in MOAB this year and I think the insurance was like $30 for the week. Well worth it as I went over the bars once.. and just the peace of mind that im taken care of if i crash.

Hope it goes well!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:39 AM

just be up front about what happened. and how serious you need to approach it totally depends upon the shop and what your agreement looked like. many are a lot more casual, some not.

only time I've ever rented a bike I also went down left side, and had a sore hand. turns out it was broken. I was obviously more concerned about me than the bike. dude at the shop was too, but also asked "is the bike OK?" before understanding that it was a super low speed fall (into a boulder!) and the worst damage was maybe some dirt in the bar ends. he shrugged it off and got me an ice pack (and a beer!) for my hand.

see what I mean? way more casual shop.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Go into the shop, tell them what happened and offer to pay for it. Be moral and ethical. Chances are, you will not be charged.
Agree..the lever, if it still works, can be straightened easily...BUT shops that have a rental fleet, like rental anything, realize they are making used' items..kinda goes with the territory.

Hope you are OK..endos hurt..
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Sorry to hear of your crash! I don't have any wisdom to add on the rental itself, but I would suggest you look at your health insurance with an eye towards getting an x-ray of your hand. It's pretty easy for there to be a hairline crack in a bone, and way better to catch it early. Parts are replaceable on the bike, but less easily on riders.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:52 PM

Crashed a rental

Thanks all for the feedback - went to the doctor and got an extra - good news - nothing broken. My boss is has a Concierge Doctor and saw me ASAP and got expedited x-ray and report - that was the quickest Doctor/x-ray/report process I’ve ever experienced.

Off now to the bike shop...fingers crossed.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
Thanks all for the feedback - went to the doctor and got an extra - good news - nothing broken. My boss is has a Concierge Doctor and saw me ASAP and got expedited x-ray and report - that was the quickest Doctor/x-ray/report process I’ve ever experienced.

Off now to the bike shop...fingers crossed.

As long as you are good the bike is less of a worry. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM
The B!

only kind of related, but i watched a dude crash an electric rental scooter in downtown el paso a week or so ago right in front of me... was hauling ass and clipped the corner of a curb and did a full blown hands-at-his-sides slid along the pavement, face down... i suspect alcohol factored heavily. the cheer that went up from everyone in viewing on the street was at least little league double hit level.

he got up and rode away, after some groans

anyway, this is the garbage i have to post these days. youre welcome.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Glad to hear you are Ok. I had a nasty little crash back in November. Still have some aches hear and there from it, but nothing serious. Luckily I only did minor damage to the bike.

Good luck with the shop! I am sure you will be fine if you just explain what happened. I wouldn’t expect it to be a big fiasco.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 PM

Returned the bike...no issues = happy girl...maybe the “luck of the Irish”.

Right after I crashed and was walking it off I saw a guy on a Vespa texting and I thought to myself texting while navigating a Vespa in the construction area at the same spot I just crashed is VERY dangerous and he a set up to crash...and then right after I was fishing the thought he crashed...no helmet too! His injuries looked bad and his Vespa was in pieces.

Good thing I was off the road and walking it off!!