Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM
weather watcher

Kingdom Graveleur - June 24

Here's a doozy of a gravel grinder that some of y'all might find interesting (I know I'm going!)

Event: Kingdom Graveleur
Start location: Kirby Mountain Rd, Concord, VT
Start time: 7:00 AM, June 24
Length: 200K (128 miles)
Elevation Gain: 15,109 feet
Surface: gravel, dirt, & class 4 roads
Link to route on RideWithGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20061635
From their Facebook Page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom Graveleur
OK, here's the deal. We are going to do this thing as a ride followed by a post ride pot luck style feast starting and finishing from the Kingdom Graveleur Gravel Camp HQ in South Kirby, VT which is just a few miles from RT2.
We'll try and stay together as much as possible but I'm sure we will end up with groups. This is a rugged course with lots of great gravel roads, and some ClassIV as well. t's not nearly as brutal as the IRR though, however it has no more than 5 miles of paved road all told. You prefer gravel, I hope. We certainly do.
This is a self supported ride, which means no sag, no support, no rescue. Bring everything that you will need to make it back. This means spare tubes, inflation, tools, hydration and nutrition, money to buy more of the former on the way and proper clothing to name a few.
We did a 91 mile ride with much of this route minus the trip over Walden and back Stannard Mountains and the Radar Base last year and it took just over 7 hours moving time. The up and back of East Mountain to the Radar Base summit is an hour, anyhow and the Walden/Stannard arm is a solid couple of hours as well so plan on this being about a 10 hour ride best case, 11 hours at a more reasonable pace. We should have plenty of daylight though plan accordingly.
Now, the route has some cut through sections if people don't want the entire ride. They are pretty obvious when you look at the map. The Walden/Stannard loop you will want to do, partially for the views incredible but also for the rest stop at Top of the Mountain Vegetable Farm at about mile 47. After Stannard though there is a cutoff at mile 61.5 that will drop about 10 miles and over 1500' of gain. At mile 75.75 there is a small store where you can refuel. It's the only one that we actually ride by, though there are places to refuel just off the route in Danville and West Burke. Obviously, the other cut off is the East Mountain Radar Base out and back. I did that a couple of weeks back. It's tough, even on fresh legs. There is no shame in skipping it.
So, with that. registration will be a simple RSVP handled by a response here in a follow up post or in a note to us. We will have some space onsite for a few folks to stay and a bunch more to tent out on a first come first serve basis. We can probably wedge 10 vehicles in overnight assuming it doesn't continue to rain daily for the next few weeks. There will also be a ride on Sunday as well, though the scope will be TBD.
Oh, and here's the route. We have ridden all but a few miles of the roads so far this year and everything is passable. They are also all public roads.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20061635
Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM

wish I was still in New England. This sounds amazing. Enjoy the ride!