Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:10 PM
commuter racer

BTLOS 30mm wheels for pure climbing?

I noticed they have free shipping and the weight of these is pretty crazy. I'v come to realize I mostly climb (it's very hilly in PDX) and don't do any fast pacelines any more and at 50 years old I am not getting any faster. What I do enjoy is having a light bike and climbing. I weigh around 155 depending on the years. I should weigh 144 and am hoping to bet back down to that soon when I switch from solid foods to lettuce and Soilent (JK). Has anyone been using the 30mm premium wheels for just a climbing bike? Are they any less durable than 35 or 40mm? Thanks!

Also these are rim brake as I have become an old retro grouch evidently.
Old Today, 02:26 PM

funny you ask whether 30 mm are good for climbing/durability. whenever i buy/build my climbing wheels, i do not go above 30 mm. :-).

in my experience they have been very reliable. but reliability does not depend on the rim depth. and as a matter of fact, i find shallower depth (less than 30 mm) wheels feel much more fun while climbing and descending compared to my 45-50 mm depth wheelsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I noticed they have free shipping and the weight of these is pretty crazy. I'v come to realize I mostly climb (it's very hilly in PDX) and don't do any fast pacelines any more and at 50 years old I am not getting any faster. What I do enjoy is having a light bike and climbing. I weigh around 155 depending on the years. I should weigh 144 and am hoping to bet back down to that soon when I switch from solid foods to lettuce and Soilent (JK). Has anyone been using the 30mm premium wheels for just a climbing bike? Are they any less durable than 35 or 40mm? Thanks!

Also these are rim brake as I have become an old retro grouch evidently.
Old Today, 02:30 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
funny you ask whether 30 mm are good for climbing/durability. whenever i buy/build my climbing wheels, i do not go above 30 mm. :-).

in my experience they have been very reliable. but reliability does not depend on the rim depth. and as a matter of fact, i find shallower depth (less than 30 mm) wheels feel much more fun while climbing and descending compared to my 45-50 mm depth wheelsets.
Thanks! I rarely break anything, one revolution spoke maybe in 34 years as a cyclist.. I'm currently using Shamal's and Ksyrium ES wheels which have been bombproof.
Old Today, 02:31 PM

My rides are always 1k feet of climbing for every 10 miles. I've found 45-50mm wheels to be slightly faster overall on hills than shallow wheels despite the slightly lower weight of shallow wheels. I don't know why, though. Maybe it's the higher downhill speed because of better aero?

You can get 45mm rim brake wheels down to about 1400g depending on the hub and nipples.
Old Today, 03:42 PM
Vendor

I don’t believe in climbing wheels. I believe in descending wheels. Shallower wheels give me more confidence and therefore I brake less when descending mountains on even mildly windy days, compared to riding uber-lights 45+mm wheels. On calm days, the overall speed difference is negligible anyway. Existent, but negligible.